Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feb. 10, 2008 PHAZORS!!!

Zarniwoop said:
Ok - here's my chart for a Phazor
No TEC but a massive heatsink
Glass lens
DIY power meter but I believe it's in the ballpark

BTW, as for the voltage across the LD, @250ma it was 2.92V, and at 350ma it was 3.28V.

Once Dr.Lava gets his we can compare notes (and I can calibrate my meter a little more).

http://barrettmanor.homeip.net:8080/ZarniwoopLTD/PhazorChart.jpg

Or if you want the Excel chart:

http://barrettmanor.homeip.net:8080/ZarniwoopLTD/PhazorChart.xls

397mA was about as far as I wnted to push it. Seemed like I was getting diminishing returns at that point. Maybe I'll get braver with it when I've had it a while.

Was this with a Meredith glass or Aixiz glass lens? Thanks.

That was an Aixiz glass lens.  Are there reports of different performance with one vs. the other?

BTW I'll probably plot a few points higher on the graph but I want to add an additional 20-turn pot to my driver. It was getting pretty touchy up towards the top of the graph.

Zarn --

You are pretty close to mine and I agree that 400 mA is about max mA.
I used an Aixiz module with glass and no special cooling.  So far, I've got about 4 intermittent hours on mine at 400 mA.

Mike ---

Again, an "old school" graph  ;D LPM-1 meter

Attachments

• Phazer1.jpg
    Phazer1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 64
Mike-
His showed 244 mW at 400 mA of current, am I reading correctly that yours shows about 270 mW at 400 mA and 3.4V?

Pull --

Yes -- Mine peaked at 270 mW. Understand that diodes differ and meters here are not corellated etc etc. As always -- YMMV. Data presented here is never guaranteed :-/ There are many variables.

Mike

jayrob

Zarniwoop said:
That was an Aixiz glass lens.  Are there reports of different performance with one vs. the other?

BTW I'll probably plot a few points higher on the graph but I want to add an additional 20-turn pot to my driver.  It was getting pretty touchy up towards the top of the graph.

I have found that the Meredith glass lens will give you about 20% more power with the high powered red builds. Believe it or not, 30% with the blu-rays! It is expensive though.

Here is why the Meredith glass lens and Module puts out more light:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1207011306/30#36

I have found these differences in power to be very consistent. So far, Gazoo is the only one that I know of who has compared them as well. His findings are the same with the open can red diodes. But I have not heard from anyone else who has compared the Meredith glass lens with the blu-rays yet.

I am sure that you will see this difference if you try it.
Jay

Gotcha. Yep, these things vary a lot, just making sure that I was reading your lines correctly, my eyes go crossed when trying to trace lines across graph paper. Between those 2 measurements though, I think these values are both right in there with what I expected. Good work, and I really appreciate the effort you guys put in.

I was hoping 420 mA would be good, since I have some 3ohm resistors for the LM317 already just waiting for a diode, but I guess I'll have to go round up some 10ohms to make 3.33 or something of that nature. But 270mW sure sounds sweet. Thanks again!

And Zarniwoop-If you want to test a few higher data points like you mentioned, I for one would be interested. But I completely understand if you don't want to risk your diode.

Jay --
I'm trying to find time to mount a diode in my Merdith. I just don't like that spring mounting.

Mike

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
Jay --
I'm trying to find time to mount a diode in my Merdith.  I just don't like that spring mounting.

Mike

Hi Mike, yeah...it's just the pressure of the spring that holds the brass 5.6mm adapter against the brass module housing.

It does seem like it would be better if the design was more like the AixiZ modules. So that the LD could be pressed into the module, instead of the little adapter.

I know that the Meredith modules are designed for the 9mm LD case, but that too, would just be held against the module case by the spring.

So far though, the heat seems to transfer to my heatsinks very well. I have not had any heat issues using the Meredith modules. Even with the open cans @ 420mA's.
Jay

I updated my chart (same links above) - now ran it up to 460mA.
It was flattening out up there - the peak I got was 255mW. I'd get the same output for 2 intervals of 10mA then 10mA higher it would go up again - very strange. Tells me I was nearing the top of its output.

finally got mine today. thanks ddl! as i dont really have some of the test equipment could some1 give me a good estimate on the ma/mv that would be safe?

Jaeger

There are graphs on the previous page. 400ma seems to be about the right amount. Corresponds to just under 250 mw when using a glass lens.

Daedal

drlava said:
[quote author=pullbangdead link=1202669249/165#177 date=1208450360]
Now, I'm just waiting for a DrLava chart with an open can and Phazor both plotted right up to 420mA comparing the outputs, or anyone's results with the Phazor at 420mA. Woohoo!!

Waiting to receive one.. I think ddl is still planning on sending a test diode. :)
[/quote]

I assume you got your diode?

How's the test going?

Thanx;
DDL

drlava

Daedal said:
[quote author=drlava link=1202669249/180#180 date=1208813392][quote author=pullbangdead link=1202669249/165#177 date=1208450360]
Now, I'm just waiting for a DrLava chart with an open can and Phazor both plotted right up to 420mA comparing the outputs, or anyone's results with the Phazor at 420mA.  Woohoo!!

Waiting to receive one.. I think ddl is still planning on sending a test diode. :)
[/quote]

I assume you got your diode?

How's the test going?

Thanx;
DDL[/quote]

Hi, I did, thanks! that was one of the most over-packed speck of silicon I've ever received! (in a good way) :D

Testing very soon. Also, I saw your post about the $28 shipped high power 405nm xbox units.. sounds very nice!

jayrob

drlava said:
Also, I saw your post about the $28 shipped high power 405nm xbox units.. sounds very nice!

That phrase caught my attention!. Has anybody defined 'high power' yet?
Jay

Jay they are old HD-DVD sleds, that have some old powerful diodes people have been getting about 45mw from an +