Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Farthest your laser has gone for sure?

I have managed to see the dot 9 miles away when i had my rpl 450 and 30x beam expander : ) it was on the side of a water tower : )

I came across this thread and it inspired me to do some distance experiments of my own. Even in the terrible condition here(low cloud cover, humid) i took my 100mw photonic disruptor pro along with my bausch and lomb telescope and went to the top of a hill on my farm. the laser fits perfectly where the little helper scope goes. then i found a water tower over 3.5 miles away and after i got it lined up i could definetly see the spot.

Just now saw some of these posts. I would like to test a high powered at 100 miles but you would have to do it in the ocean or something like that. Although I wonder if the round Earth would be a factor at 100 miles?

Absolutely. You usually can't see more than 10 miles unless you're up on a hill, or your target is. I could barely see my 100mw green at three miles through a 5 inch telescope. Hope you have alot of power, and a beam expander ;).
Actually I just looked it up. If you're standing on the shore looking towards the ocean the horizon is only 3 miles away.

Last edited:
Most I have done is 7miles with my RPL, but i will soon have a x10dr so that will make a diff :)

Oh, and I have seen a DL hulk 175 from 5 miles

Well where I live there is a big town then a bunch of suburbs. Maybe if me and my friend (Woodofcville) talk to the right people we can get to the top of one of the tall buildings and shine towards the suburb (specific location) then we could get atleast 40 miles.

From the suburbs you can see the tall building if you are on a hill. When I say suburbs I mean small country towns. I live in Oklahoma. Anyways with some serious math and thinking this could be a great experiment.

jbtm

Never thought of trying that actually, I have a telescope that is also used for mountains (seeing on them from the ground) and it has a mount, never put a laser to it...

The most I did was shine at a tree during the day from my house (we live on a hill) and I was able to easily see the dot on a bright sunny day. The trees in a far (easily 5+ miles) I couldnt. I expected this because it was very sunny after all, hard to see a dot that far with the human eye. Maybe a telescope.

This was only a mile with my 200mw...By google maps, I'm estimating the 'tree line' I see MIGHT be by the highway, being 5 miles...I dont really have any long range testing that I can do. The only thing I can see from my area is a water tower, which isnt smart to point at, only 3 miles.

Never thought of trying that actually, I have a telescope that is also used for mountains (seeing on them from the ground) and it has a mount, never put a laser to it...

The most I did was shine at a tree during the day from my house (we live on a hill) and I was able to easily see the dot on a bright sunny day. The trees in a far (easily 5+ miles) I couldnt. I expected this because it was very sunny after all, hard to see a dot that far with the human eye. Maybe a telescope.

This was only a mile with my 200mw...By google maps, I'm estimating the 'tree line' I see MIGHT be by the highway, being 5 miles...I dont really have any long range testing that I can do. The only thing I can see from my area is a water tower, which isnt smart to point at, only 3 miles.

Doing these tests really helps if you have a responsible friend to help you.

Sounds like a plan to me. lol. I have tricky question that might need a new thread. As long as there is a dot, is there a beam? Lets say we are using a 200mW green. 532nm

Look up videos on youtube of long distance pointing, and that'll give you an idea of what it will look like.

LSRFAQ

You guys got a long row to hoe, the ham radio laser comms record with a Hecad is 57 miles, mountaintop to mountaintop.

My personal record is some place around 12 miles, for a medium frame argon, shot straight up, and looking for the side scatter.

There are led distance communications records with Luxeons that beat the laser. Big fat beams help with the air currents and dust.

2-5 watts and a 18" telescope gets you to the shuttle with naked eye visibility, but the tracking software is rather expensive.

Nasa does that from a mountain in Maui.

Steve

Last edited:
76.1 kilometers 3 mW red laser

laser contact to france
76km.jpg