Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FAIL THREAD!!!!

7Uxby.jpg

This is kind of hard for me to admit, but a couple nights ago it was really foggy. This is very unusual here in Colorado; we normally only get a couple foggy nights per year. I am nearing the completion of a 3 x 445nm build and wanted to see it 'glow'. Unfortunately, I had had a few drinks as well. Needless to say, alcohol and lasers don't mix. I wired things up WAY wrong. I now need to replace all three diodes. (Good thing I have them:)
Today my task is punching out 3 dled's and putting in new ones. This project just got $150 more expensive. Arrrgh!!!

I can't even begin to express how glad I am that I didn't blind anyone else (or myself). Lesson learned.

Could have been A LOT worse.

My booze and lasers :oops: moment was handing one of my drunk friends a 50mW greenie to play with.

Within literally two seconds he managed to hit me in the eye. No damage, but it was a scary moment... since then I don't let others handle the lasers unless I'm watching them like a hawk... so basically for the most part I don't let anyone else handle my lasers anymore.

My initial instinct was to 'lol' but that wouldn't have been right. If nothing else, I have a really long history in eye damage. Something I'm not proud of. When I was 13 I was told that I could view a solar eclipse through a hole in a piece of paper; I looked through that hole and the next day had to go have the burned out nerves mapped out on my retina. Luckily for me, the human brain is really good at accounting for these sorts of 'problems'. Since then, I am the epitome of the fool when it comes to lasers. It's real hard to admit, it's downright embarrassing, but I used to have 20/20 vision. Then lasers. Yeah.... Right.... Get the fucking glasses. I didn't get the glasses for years, and now? I now have trouble reading the newspaper. NO SHIT! I can only read ANYTHING if I look off center. I'm not kidding. Just another example of why these things are a serious hazard. The ONLY thing that hasn't dimnished is my love for lasers.
So while everyone says they can blind you instantly, they are wrong! But they are right! You won't just see black for the rest of your life, but you will NEVER be able to see what you want to see again. Don't believe me? Try me.
I have a feeling this post will forever damn me here in the LPF, but WTF? Sometimes you just gotta be 'real'.

Reactions: Ash

Benm

Not sure if this is a win or a fail...

GoogleEarthFail.jpg

Apparently my town got a plane:san:

I guess this camera gets luminance and color information at different time points, explaining the strange color effect..

A win or fail depends on the altitude/zoom level of how this picture was taken. If it was taken at the indicated eye altitude of 1663 feet its definitely a pilot fail.

I'm pretty sure they're all satellite images and the "eye altitude" is approximately what you would see if you were at that level above the surface - simulated with zoom, of course.

Benm

This is no sattelite image - this resolution is only possible from a plane. The 'eye altitude' seems to be a result of zoom indeed, so its fairly hard to figure out at what altitude the photo was taken. I reckon it would be around 10.000ft however, a fairly typical altitude for the small, unpressurized, planes used in aerial photography.

Ash

This is no sattelite image - this resolution is only possible from a plane. The 'eye altitude' seems to be a result of zoom indeed, so its fairly hard to figure out at what altitude the photo was taken. I reckon it would be around 10.000ft however, a fairly typical altitude for the small, unpressurized, planes used in aerial photography.
10,000 feet?
worffacepalm.gif

Really. It's not that difficult to figure out the altitude the image was taken from. :whistle:

First of all. This particular image (of the plane and the earth) was not taken from a plane. It was taken from a High Resolution satellite that orbits much lower (100,000 feet) than a weather satellite (850KM or 2.7M feet). This should be obvious as the large passenger plane (typical cruising altitude of 20K~40K feet) is only slightly out of focus compared to the ground which is in focus which demonstrates that the plane is closer to the ground than the image sensor. :yh:

Edit: Thanks for the Link InfinitusEquitas. It says the source is "Digital Globe, GeoEye" a low-orbiting high-resolution image satellite.
About DigitalGlobe:
"Before the launch of GeoEye-1, DigitalGlobe's WorldView-1 satellite provided the world's highest resolution commercial satellite imagery (panchromatic only).[9] The 0.5 meters resolution of WorldView-1's panchromatic images allows the satellite to distinguish between objects on the ground that are at least 50 cm apart. Similarly DigitalGlobe's QuickBird satellite provides 0.6 meter resolution (at NADIR) multispectral images."

Last edited: