Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FAIL THREAD!!!!

My 'new' place is about 100 years old. I just found out the bottom half of the bathroom walls is 1/8 door skin plywood. (insert facepalm here). They didnt even prime the wall. I went to check a small piece of peeling paint, and pulled off a large area of paint. :scowl:

The whole house is horse hair plaster. Except the bathroom that is. I'm going to put some 3/4 inch bead board over it. Should strengthen, and waterproof the wall. Plus its period correct. Its a nice bathroom. Claw foot tub, pedestal sink, and exposed pipes. Makes you feel link your in the 1800s. I want to get one of those toilets that have a oak box on the wall, and pull chain. That is till I saw they cost $400.

daguin

fullsize.jpg

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

Well, don't know for you, but i consider this a fail ..... i was just mounting an apparate, and needed some shielded cable on-the-fly, so sacrificated an old usb cable ..... they have some decent shielding, usually, the wires are surrounded from an aluminium foil, then there's the shielding "sock" made in thin wires ..... well, this one had also a thin bare copper wire, like an awg28 inside the alu foil, but i thoughd it was just an extra .....

Ready for solder all, the shielding sock don't solder ..... it was identical to any other one made with thin tinned wires, so i had no idea about why it don't solder, and tried anything ..... 4 different fluxants, including a corrosive one, scrapping the wires with a blade, filling it of soldering gel, heating til 450 degrees, 3 different soldering alloys wires ..... nothing to do, it don't solder, the alloy don't stick on it, and the wires just become dark and dirt ..... i was thinking i lost my soldering skill (and it's hard, after almost 35 years of soldering :p) .....

Then i throwed a piece of that shielding sock in the can where i have the PCB etching solution for error, and *PSSSSCCCH* ..... 30 seconds of smoke and boiling, and the sock totally vanished ..... :crackup:

IT WAS ALUMINIUM !!!!! :crackup:

Yes, someone made shielding for usb cables with ALUMINIUM WIRES !! ..... this gives also a sense to the extra bare copper wire, it was for solder the shielding to the connector ..... but i never meet before shielding socks made in aluminium wires, so not imagined it ..... half hour of failing at soldering ..... damn manufacturer, if i find him, guess where i put him all the rest of the cable ? :eg: :eg: :eg:

Benm

Tough luck with that indeed, but its not really a fail. Aluminium is used because its lower cost and shields just as well as copper does, or even better (per gram, not per cm3). With copper prices still rising you might see more of these in the future.