Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extremely sensitive fire alarm!

I just accidently set off my fire alarm from only using about 10 matches to get a slightly smoky environment for my laser :p Hell, I bet you couldn't do anything with smoke in this room, lighting a sheet of paper on fire would probably set it off....anybody else got sensitive fire alarms too?

They don't do that if you take out the battery, just remember to put it back in when you are done.

TTerbo

thats pretty much what standard aussie ones do, i wouldnt complain it might save your life.

err after the first 4 time of setting it off i put mine inside a Tupperware container when i am not using it i just open it up but when i am it just close the lid.

The pieces of sh:)t I have go off every time I cook. And no, it's NOT that I'm a bad cook :(. The nice thing is that they're networked, so if one goes off, I have to reset all four of them in different rooms. BUT, often the smoke gets to a second one after I reset them. So sometimes, I have to reset 12 times to get them to all shut off... all in the name of pancakes. Good times.

I disconnected them.

TTerbo

just get new ONES you cant have a disconected fire alarm !!lol!!
i would never disconect mine even tho i sleep throught them whem iv been study hard

just get new ONES you cant have a disconected fire alarm !!lol!!
i would never disconect mine even tho i sleep throught them whem iv been study hard
No one I know actually uses their fire alarms. It's EXTREMELY common because they are pieces of SHIT that go off ALL THE TIME and annoy the hell out of you :p

There's no way a fire could become large enough to pose a threat before I could notice it. That is if my dogs haven't already alerted me by barking their asses off :p

TTerbo

yeAh lol i was kinda kidding
but its really funny i was at a friends house and his sister (15) was trying to hide her smoking in her room (wtf) and she set the alarm off hahahh.
BTW who would smoke in there rooms. pffft

Benm

Fire alarms come in different qualities and sensitivities. The ones in my students housing were pretty specific... you could easily throw a party there with lots of people smoking, and that never set them off. But if you left something on the stove that started to burn, they did go off. I suppose it has something to do with smoke particle size.

Things

Its also due to the type of particle. I believe water vapor (Fog machine) won't set off the radioactive or heat alarms easily, however it will set off optical alarms. Burning stuff will set off the radioactive and optical alarms, but not the heat alarms (Unless you are burning right under them, of course.

The most common smoke detectors used in houses are radioactive based. Just be thankful they aren't optical, anything triggers those!

But the fact they go off when you burn something is a good sign, it means you might might be able to escape your house before it burns, instead of escaping while your room is on fire :p

Disconnecting your smoke alarms is a very stupid idea ... if you are tired of them going off when you cook etc, move them, or even cover them temporarily. I just use some tape and cover over the vents on the front when I need to.

TTerbo

yeah if you get a smoke alarm the type that is connected to AC mains power they are usually the better qualtiy ones.
o yeah the one in my caravan is a sh*t it goes of when i have my toast lol

@ Things

I hate those optical sensors. I was an aircraft engine mechanic for about 11 years. I was helping someone out in the HVAC area on a C-5 one day. I saw what I thought was a light that was inop. I pointed a flashlight at it and asked the other guy about it. He immediately said something along the lines of "don't point the flashlight at that." That was my first experience with an optical fire detector. Luckily it didn't go off.

I had another bad experience with those stupid things. Once again, it was on a C-5. I just got qualified to run the APU shortly before this experience. There was one other person on the aircraft with me. We were getting it ready for the crew. The other person was inspecting stuff inside the aircraft while I started the APUs. I went outside the aircraft after starting them to look over the exterior. The stupid alarm went off right after I get outside. It turns out the other person must have accidently pointed a flashlight at the optical detector.

Things

Typically they are used to detect particles between a LED and a sensor. If the light darkens on the sensor, it assumes that there is smoke in the room. Since the smoke has to get into the sensor somehow, shining a flashlight at them could trigger them. It may also rely on smoke particles reflecting the light back to a sensor.

Smoke detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shining a light into them means the detector would pick it up, thus setting it off.