Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Evolution Pro 130 -- divergence

My green laser which I received from Steve is now reported by him to be a 130 mW Evolution Pro. It looks like the one Kenom received so I won't bore you with more pictures.
Tonight, I tried measuring beam divergence using such scientific tools as: laser mount, Nikon Laser range finder, digital calipers and a flat chunk of hardwood charcoal !!!!

Test 1 ranged from 12.5' to 48' and showed a calculated divergence of 1.01 mRad. This seems to support reports of a tight beam mentioned by others here.

Test 2 went from 25' to 162' -- from a close stump to a neighbor's shed. The beam on the shed was wider than my charcoal but non-scientific results result in 0.636 mRad which seems outside expectations likely due to unreliable targets.

This is what I have so far for this aspect of the model. Others have done very well reporting the other aspects of this laser.

Mike

That picture of me is a far cry from my cowboy avatar !!!

Attachments

• Wicked150-2.jpg
    Wicked150-2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Wicked150.jpg
    Wicked150.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Sam -- There's more coming. The one I sent back was awsom - - - - - -!!!! More later.

Mike

As Niko -- pointed out, USE goggles for divergence measurements. Please don't attempt this with out protection.

Mike

180px-The_Goggles_they_do_nothing.gif

thegoggles.jpg

Sorry, I had to.

jwc

Man, I wish I had a laser range finder... I had to use a tape measure to measure my SKY's divergence. I think my dad may have one that I can borrow.

At any rate, that's a very good quality beam. Looks like Wicked is using decent optics. Could you upload a bigger pic of the graph? Thanks.

That is the biggest picture I can post here. I have to reduce it to 3x5" to get the file size acceptable. Others must be using other time consuming steps. This EP130 stands up well against my Skylaser 200. The Sky needs warm up, the Evo is on right now.

Mike

Last edited:
I am amazed that no one seems to care about beam divergence here anymore. That is to me super because I really don't want to measure 700 mW of green in my face when I do a review.
Thanks to all ..............

Mike

919-wicked130.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice results, yeah most people just care about output power but it's good to see there's still some tightly collimated beams out there.

I'm massively in to good beam specs. I'll take a nice, clean, stable, razor thin beam over a more powerful beam with crappy specs anytime. Thanks for taking the time to test the divergence Mike! Looks good.. Where did you get that old-school ribbon charting system?

Yah -- I'm old school and proud of it !! That is a heathkit Multi-speed servo chart recorder. I got it from ebay about two years ago and it came with about 10 rolls of paper.

Mike

jwc

Ah, nice beam specs, thanks very much. Beam quality is extremely important. The LEDShoppe pointer I have is kind of thick and unpleasant. But I also have some cheap laser pointers with spectacularly thin beams and they are among my favorites. Thin beams also have much higher apparent brightness.