Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Evil and wrong, but I'm curious!?!?

S

Stephen j gilman

Hello it's me again. Sup everyone? I won't do this cause its agenst the law, but I must know if it would work!

Can you pop a cars tire with a 1w laser? If the car was parked so the tire wasent spinning and you were a few feet away? Over time could you burn a hole in a tire?

JLSE

Id say 10-15W at minimum to do it fast and effective...

Though scribing your name in window tints is more than possible
with 1W of 445 :eg:

I did this on a parts car I sent to the scrappers with 500mW of 405.. :whistle:

daguin

Given ENOUGH TIME, active cooling, and a mains power source, you could burn through the sidewall of a tire.

It may still take many hours, but it would make it through EVENTUALLY. :tinfoil:

However, if you had that much time, you could do it easier and faster with a utility knife ;)

Peace,
dave

JLSE

Given ENOUGH TIME, active cooling, and a mains power source, you could burn through the sidewall of a tire.

It may still take many hours, but it would make it through EVENTUALLY. :tinfoil:

However, if you had that much time, you could do it easier and faster with a utility knife ;)

Peace,
dave

Remember, the side wall of a tire is under pressure.. If you 'heat'
an area enough to soften the rubber, it will bubble and 'blow out'
with the assistance of the contained air pressure.

Several watt's would be needed for sure, but I dont think it would take
'hours' to do so..

The question is, who is willing to part with their spare tire in
the name of science? :san: Dave?? :poke:

Morgan

'hours' to do so..

A Tyre Murder Fund? I'm in! :D

M
:)

daguin

'hours' to do so..

Remember, it is vulcanized. It doesn't just "melt" like regular rubber. It will probably also have some "fiber" mesh embedded in the rubber. 28 PSI is not that much pressure

I'll make you a deal. You give me a 1W, TEC cooled, mains-powered, laser module, and I will blow up one of my tires ;)

I am such a giver :whistle:

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** While you're at it, if you would make it analog modulated it will assist me with my next project :D

Last edited:

Toke

I am such a giver
What a generous offer. :D

Considering how long time it takes to drill into a 3" red candle this is a project you should leave on in the morning and just stay with hearing range of the eventual escaping air.

well I would suggest a bicycle tire to test it, nothing but rubber and there much cheaper haha also the pressure would be much greater in the smaller space of a bike tire compared to a car, so if it takes all day to burn through relatively thin, under higher pressure, unprotected, rubber. You know it's gonna take hours and hours to do it.

HIMNL9

Also, car tires are reinforced, sides included ..... usually with flexible steel cords (yeah, steel :p) ..... maybe a CO2 focused can do the work, but i really doubt about an 1W 445nm ..... ;)

^ I agree, it would probably take about a day or two to get the job done. Although 1W of 405nm, would probably rupture it sooner, if you had one. By then, you are probably in handcuffs though for providing your boss with a flat tire.
rolleye11.gif

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

Amateurs!

40 watts of CO2 laser, O2 at 20 psi as assist gas, 12 cm focal length lens, aimed at the sidewall, much less then 2 seconds.

However the 4 foot long, bright yellow, Firestar F1 chassis is a little difficult to hide.

You do not get a hole if you do not get the burnt carbon gunk out of the wounded area. The laser lights the plasma and guides it, the O2 does the work and blasts the debris clear.

There is a much easier way, the design of which dates to 331 BC, designed for horses and then adapted to other "treads" in the past century.

Steve

Last edited:

HIMNL9

^ uhm, yeah ..... and i can imagine you going around trying to hide the homemade version of a cross from Ghostbusters backpack and a BFG9000, right ? ..... :crackup:

j/k :p :D