Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Emu in the Sky - Milkyway Rising.

Trying out my new camera last night with a few test shots and was happy how they turned out.
This was just before moon rise so there was a bit of a light gradient in the sky.
We call this section of the Milky Way, 'The Emu' as it resembles one of Australia's native non flying birds (similar to an ostrich) and outlined in the second pic.

Hope you enjoy, it was blowing a gale and the wind was cold as we come into winter here.
It's always the best time of year for us to observe the centre of our Milky Way, which is the orange/yellow bulge you see in the pic.

Didn't do any laser shots as there were aircraft still flying around at that time.

Regards
RB

Emu-MilkyWay.jpg

Emu-MilkyWay-outine.jpg

diachi

Great picture :D! I need to invest in a proper camera so that I can start taking pictures like this, or at least attempt it. Plus we have the Northern Lights up here, I'd really like to get good at photographing them.

Also - every time someone mentions Emus I can help but be reminded of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Rivem

Awesome photos RB.

I've been wanting to go out and take some astrophotos myself for the last few weeks, but it's been either too cloudy or cold where I am. Really want to get a detailed photo of Mars when I get some time.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Great photo as always RB! Keep sharing these fantastic images with us. :beer:
We're just getting to summer here, finally getting some warm weather. I'll let you guys keep the cold for a while. :D

Hi RB,
great pics to bad wee don't get to see that here in the states to much awesome .. as Bowtie said keep the cold air there for a while it hit over 90 here for the past 3 days, It's pool weather finally..

Rich:)

ped

Great stuff astro, any chance of links to higher res pics?

Ped

Pman

Beautiful.
I always wonder how much of a shot like that you actually can see with the bare eye.
If you take a long exposure shot how do you not end up with a streak from an airplane?

Last edited:
Awesome photos RB.

I've been wanting to go out and take some astrophotos myself for the last few weeks, but it's been either too cloudy or cold where I am. Really want to get a detailed photo of Mars when I get some time.
Glad you liked it Rivem.
Yes I'd love to have another go at Mars now while it's at it's closest.
Hope you get some data on it.

Great photo as always RB! Keep sharing these fantastic images with us. :beer:
We're just getting to summer here, finally getting some warm weather. I'll let you guys keep the cold for a while. :D
Thank you so much Jeff.
Yes indeed enjoy the warm weather, I used to like the cold but now I start to feel it.

Hi RB,
great pics to bad wee don't get to see that here in the states to much awesome .. as Bowtie said keep the cold air there for a while it hit over 90 here for the past 3 days, It's pool weather finally..

Rich:)
Cheers Rich, have a swim for me too.

Great stuff astro, any chance of links to higher res pics?

Ped
Cheers Ped.
Try this link (hope it works), (600k file).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5620742/Emu-MWay-large.jpg

Beautiful.
I always wonder how much of a shot like that you actually can see with the bare eye.
Thank you Peter.
We get a great view naked eye from here, especially since we're away from the city lights.
You don't get to see colour because of our cones and rods in our eyes aren't sensitive enough but what you do see is like a light 'fog' or cloud.
Hence why the ancients called it the Milky Way because it really does look milky against a black sky.

:D

I always love those shots of the Milky Way. There is far too much light pollution around me to get any good photos of stars. Was gone all day yesterday or I'd have seen this earlier. What size scope do you use? I have thought about investing in one from time to time. All the ones that interest me are far too $$$. Then I would have to travel to get to a place that has no light pollution. Great photos, though.

What size scope do you use? I have thought about investing in one from time to time. All the ones that interest me are far too $$$. Then I would have to travel to get to a place that has no light pollution. Great photos, though.

Thanks Paul, this one was taken just my camera and a 16mm lens, on a basic tripod, no scope.
When I do use a scope it's a 5" refractor.

RB

Pman

I use to see stars kind of like this all the time when I was in the Navy out poking holes in the ocean. Astonishing stuff especially as you could also look down and see all the phosphorescent stuff in the water too. Felt really surreal at times. Feels like an eternity ago now.

That sounds like a cool telescope. I was looking at some 10 inch reflectors, but there were expensive, IIRC.

I use to see stars kind of like this all the time when I was in the Navy out poking holes in the ocean. Astonishing stuff especially as you could also look down and see all the phosphorescent stuff in the water too. Felt really surreal at times. Feels like an eternity ago now.
Would've been an unforgettable experience Pete.
:yh:

Thank you !

That sounds like a cool telescope.

Yes Paul, it's my dream scope.
This is the 5" refractor.
130mm aperture f/5.8 pictured below, notice my lovely 20mW, 532nm greenie that I use for aligning the scopes sitting on top.

And like I said, I didn't use the scope for this picture, it was just a camera and 16mm wide field lens on a tripod. :)

RB-TOA130_EM400.jpg