Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(EDIT. New pics)Lot of requests for machining lately...

Gadget

I just setup a small shop. I don't have a mill yet, only a lathe. Mill is coming soon.

I've been working my way up the not-so-steep learning curve (for me anyway, I'm a natural at anything to do with hands-on creation of pretty much anything). I'm no Ehgemus, but I believe I can hold my own. I haven't tried any of the multi-metal layering yet. I'm gonna have to see if I can talk Ehgemus out of his technique now that he's out of the game. It cant possibly be as easy as JB-Welding pieces together.

My threading has gotten to the point that I'm actually not embarrassed to show it to the public now. Tighter than any chinese machining you'll find.

I'm in the process of completing my first full host. At first, it was just a bunch of heatsinks and battery tubes for various flashlight mods, and threading practice. Now the body (2x18650 fat-body for large hands) and tail cap are complete, and I'm working on the head.

I'm really just throwing this out here to let folks know that there is still someone interested in providing a service that so many here appear to be in need of. I also should make it known that I strictly adhere to The First Principle of Manufacture. Good-Fast-Cheap, any two are possible, no more. If I can do it, I'll tell you so. If I can't do it, I'll tell you that as well. My time is too valuable to me to get caught up in letting my alligator eyes overload my chickadee ass.

I'm still sourcing parts like nice switches and such, as well. I'll put up some pics of some of my work when I get back to the house later.

For what it's worth,
-G

_____________edit_____________

And now the pics...

501B heatsink for press-fit contact board

11556-las-501b-heatsink-press-fit-contact-board-03-small.jpg

501B heatsink threaded for stock pill

11557-las-501b-heatsink-threaded-pill-small.jpg

H-D Defiant 2xAA flashlight, anodize stripped, heatsink turned

11559-las-hd-defiant-2aa-heatsink-small.jpg

C8 heatsink and 2x18650 battery tube (my first threads, came out a little loose thus the tef tape)

11558-las-c8-heatsink-2x18650-tube-small.jpg

From scratch body and tailcap

11564-las-scratch-build-progress-02-small.jpg

That's 2" bar I'm parting material off of for the head

11565-las-scratch-build-progress-03-small.jpg

And, not really a host, but a little LED task light I whipped up from parts of an old Helping Hands. There are 2 harddrive magnets JB Welded to the wire framework, and a little fan to keep it cool, it gets REALLY hot. It usually rides along on the back end of the compound slide so it shines nice and bright on the cutting action.

11560-las-magnetic-led-light-01-small.jpg

--------EDIT------------

Here's my first ever host from scratch. It came out looking like more of a flashlight than I would have liked, but I think the machining is close to top notch. Threads are not sloppy, joints fit nice.

The body is 1.3" dia for large hands. The head is 1.98" max dia for lots of heat. It weighs in at 505g, thassalottaluminum.
This first one is pretty plain in the feature department, just tail-clicky and contact board. It'll take a 12mm module, but I could bore it out to accept anything larger.

11594-scratch-host-03.jpg

11593-scratch-host-02.jpg

11592-scratch-host-01.jpg

-G

Last edited:

Sta

Re: Lot of requests for machining lately...

Good to see another member taking the place of those who have left.

Good luck, +rep!

Cool! I've been getting into metal lathe work myself, considering to make some hosts and sell them here. Ever going to get any CNC equipment? Would love to see someone with a CNC mill here on the forum.

Hi G,
Wish you well yes we all need some hosts, It's a shame it went to this no machinists at all . So we are subject to flashlight modding .. Were going backwards in a sense , don't get me wrong I'm the first to mod a flashlight,very challenging .
This would be awesome if it comes through.
Rich:) + Rep

Hey man I love that you're stepping up to the plate for us! Just remember to never let yourself get overwhelmed and to let people know when you are. I feel that is one of the reasons that many machinists quit making hosts. We are all understanding of different needs and I know that requests for custom pieces can become overwhelming. Just remember to limit yourself and relax :)

Thank you for offering your services and I look forward to seeing what you can fabricate for us! :D

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

We are all understanding of different needs and I know that requests for custom pieces can become overwhelming. Just remember to limit yourself and relax

That was a good comment. Making lasers and helping others should be fun, not stressful.
Clients can be very demanding. But I believe that people on this forum will be understanding and patient.

I am glad you are here in Texas too! Thank you for your efforts. I do feel that if you don't overload yourself you could have a steady side income. I beg of you to not take more orders than you can handle. I would also advise against full builds. Just build hosts only. Let others worry about the builds. I'm sure your plate will be very full either way :)

I'm sure you will hear from me in the future for a build request.

Sta

Wow, these are coming out quite well! I'll probably order at least one host from you eventually. :beer:

:gj: Gadget, I have no doubt you can do this. Maybe you could make one standard host that's not too difficult to make that you can sell all the time, then also do custom one of a kind hosts.

Alan

Gadget

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

All of you have nothing to worry about on the subject of me letting myself get overloaded.

You see...I already have a job, and I get paid well. I'm not looking for another one. What I'm offering here is strictly out of a desire to give something to this community, this ragged band of misfit brothers. I've seen these people do things, man. RIGHTEOUS things! For people they've NEVER MET! And I'm moved to return some of that kindness to these righteous men.

I enjoy creating things with my hands, it's one of my forms of meditation (I also do celtic one-line knotwork...A LOT). I can sit at the lathe for HOURS, mindful of the sweet smell of WD40, and the even sweeter sound of high speed steel hissing through aluminum. My wife says my shop is the location of some kind of time anomaly, hours disappear in there...hell on some weekends DAYS disappear, and I'm oblivious to their passing!

As for making any real money off of anything....not gonna happen unless I can get production time way, waaaay down. This is all manual work...I touch every shaving that comes off the lathe with my own hands, to collect and recycle it. I might make enough to pay for materials and tooling, but anything beyond that is CNC territory.

Trendkilla--
I may never even officially start "taking orders". Like I said in the OP, if I can make it, I'll tell you so, If I can't, I'll tell you that too. And I won't always be available, or I may flat turn down some requests. It's nothing personal.

Anyway...guess I've rambled on long enough. I'm gonna go to the shop and make some shavings.

-G

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

All of you have nothing to worry about on the subject of me letting myself get overloaded.

As for making any real money off of anything....not gonna happen unless I can get production time way, waaaay down. This is all manual work...I touch every shaving that comes off the lathe with my own hands, to collect and recycle it. I might make enough to pay for materials and tooling, but anything beyond that is CNC territory.

-G

Hand work on a lathe can be extremely lengthy, it's not as fast as some people may think. A lot of the time we're working with thousandths of an inch, and you can imagine implementing a design a few thousandths at a time can be very lengthy.

This is how Ehg was able to do his hosts for relatively cheap and make fair amounts of money off it, he had a CNC lathe. All he really had to work hard on was the designs, and then send it off to the machine, and go from there. Making hosts on a lathe by hand can really only justify the "profit" if you have a lot of spare time or need the experience. Also depends on how high you set the price of course :p I may try to make a host or two to sell in the near future, but I'm still considering it :thinking:

This is wonderful, thanks for stepping up. Can't wait to see the great things you'll do.

Ehgemus isn't really "gone". I messaged him and he said he might be coming back.

When was this? :drool:

Yeahhhhhhh, we need to know when. I am excited to see that artistic genius in action! :drool: :worthy:

When was this? :drool:

Yeahhhhhhh, we need to know when. I am excited to see that artistic genius in action! :drool: :worthy:

I messaged him last week. Luckily I still had his phone number when I was making custom orders back then.

Here's the convo:

Me: "Did you stop making laser hosts?"

Ehg: "Yeah I'm not building any laser hosts at this time"

Me: "Alright, will you ever make more in the future?"

Ehg: "I might"

Me: "Ok I'll be waiting, thanks"

I'm also hoping he would come back, I would love some more work of art!:cryyy:

Thanks,