Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX100mW Red Module - Mini-Review

Well, maybe it warmed up a bit.  I was able to get to 270 mA and 94 mW output!    Not too bad.  Runs cool.   That current is input to the driver board --Not LD current.

Also the extra cable is the TTL blanking for each channel.  It's off at 0.20 volts and full on at 0.30 volts.  Very narrow analog range ....

Mike

Today Fri..... For you pot modders, I added a 10K Ohm across R5, the 12k resistor. Raised my low current to 190 mA and allows me to run it up over 320 mA. I set it at 100 mW / 290 mA.

Gazoo

Mike I have a couple of questions:

Does this come with a glass lens and if so can you tell if there is any AR coating on it?

And I assume there is little to no slop in the focusing of the lens like there is with the Aixiz modules?

I am thinking about this as an alternative to the Meredith modules I have been using. It looks like it would be easy to cool the block with a TEC. I know a TEC is probably not needed, but I have noticed a few more milliwatts output when running a diode a little cooler than room temp...and I like to get every milliwatt I can.. ;D

Gazoo --

I think it has a glass lens.  Hard to tell without tearing the lens ass'y apart.  It seems scratch resistant.  The module inside the heatsink is 1.66" long and 0.47" Diameter.  The lens ass'y is fairly tight and has a spring inside.  It can be turned with your fingers and a good grip.
The heat sink holds the DX modules pretty good.
AR coating ???????  I can't tell by looking.

Mike

you should be able to tell by looking, if it is completely clear it is not coated, ar coatings tend to have a bluish tint to it

anybody know how much voltage i can put into it with out creating the magic blue smoke? i ordered one on monday.

i hate the magic blue smoke. . . ;D

Y

yew.sir-name

I've pushed mine to 12V with no significant output difference or blue smoke.

I've driven mine to about 8 volts momentarily to watch regulation of current. Rock solid :) My small gell cell at ~6.5 volts runs ok for a long time.

If you drive with more volts, watch the temp of the big driver transistors on the board - they have no heat sinks.

Mike

thanks, i am just goint to use 6 nimh batteries. ;)
i just cant wait for it to get here. the wait sucks. :'(

I'm thinking of making a breadboard 555 driver to pulse this thing -- jus to see what it looks like !! The TTL input makes it easy.

Mike

Now you guys have had a bit of time to play with this module, do you think the driver could be pressed into service to run a blue ray?

I am thinking that it may be a good way of getting my TTL RGB running without having to make opto isolated TTL emulation.

Regard rog8811

Rog --

The blue ray runs at ~4.7 volts and ~40 mA. I haven't measured the open circuit voltage on the driver but remember that before I modded this, it started at over 100 mA into the red LD. It might work with some resistor changes.

Mike

Benm

Gazoo said:
I am thinking about this as an alternative to the Meredith modules I have been using. It looks like it would be easy to cool the block with a TEC. I know a TEC is probably not needed, but I have noticed a few more milliwatts output when running a diode a little cooler than room temp...and I like to get every milliwatt I can.. ;D

I'm considering the same thing, still a bit in doubt if i should go for the meredith products or this one. It'll probably make little difference in the end.

But what i was wondering about: how much is there really to gain from operating diodes at lower temperature in terms of power? I'd like to see some data on that, just testing a diode at a fixed current and a couple of temperatures (say 200 mA and then 5-10-20-30-40 degrees).

Gazoo

Benm said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1196123930/45#50 date=1197065272]

I'm considering the same thing, still a bit in doubt if i should go for the meredith products or this one. It'll probably make little difference in the end.

But what i was wondering about: how much is there really to gain from operating diodes at lower temperature in terms of power? I'd like to see some data on that, just testing a diode at a fixed current and a couple of temperatures (say 200 mA and then 5-10-20-30-40 degrees). [/quote]

I would like to see some data too but the problem with running the diode too cool is condensation. However there is no doubt that as a diode warms up its output drops. So keeping it a little cooler than room temp is a plus and keeps the output stable.

I recently ordered a meter from Sears so I will be able to measure the temperature of my Meredith cube with the TEC. I should be able to provide some more data once I get it. But I will not cool the module to the point of condensation.