Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dx true 5 mw

hey guys just purchased a few 5mw for host purposes from dealextreme
but wait guess what these were so overpowered i now have to reconsider
finding hosts somewhere else heres my findings

unit #1 starts off at 13 mw then goes to 17mw steady about 3 mw of ir

unit #2 statrs at 31 mw then steadies out at 43 mw 5 mw of ir

unit #3 starts off at 44 then goes to 65 mw wow about 6-8 mw of ir

maybe this is dx way of telling the new law to fo ha ha ha i just ordered 4 more lol

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.91

Last edited:

...i can say.....WOW. mmmm so... is useless to buy a tru 10.. true 20... 30... because with new law.. dx cannoit ship these laser.. BUT... i think that to be the best seller of "5 mw".. dx started to sell very higer powered "nominal 5mw"-.- ahahaha within some years... we will se 5mw that output about 100mw XD XD XD

mmmmm10.5 dollars for a unit #3 starts off at 44 then goes to 65..is a STEAL....the bargain of the year!!! hei i see that you have a meter that count separated nm......or did you find the amount of IR ... putting a ir filther and making the difference between WITH and WITHOUT the filter..? the 3 laser.. can BURN? i think yes.... balloons...and some black thin things

D

Deleted member 8382

I start to think DX ships always the same laser for the 5-100mW range. I've had a true 30mW and a true 50mW and they were the same

Maybe they have a guy testing the units and puting the high labels on the best ones and so. if 4 units of 5mW all tested on that ranges it starts to get me amazed

Benm

Well, i think there might be something else going on there:

I think there is one general production line for the DX lasers up to 50 mW or so, which is likely since they all come with the same pump diode and driver (though these designs change over time, they dont seem to change between rated power).

Up to now, these things were binned to 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50 mW versions, just depending on how well they performed at the end of the production line.

With the FDA import problem on anything over 5 mW, i suppose US demand for the 5 mW version got so large there werent enough in the 5 mW bin... and they just threw in lasers from other bins (or straight of the line without checking) to meet demand.

This is speculation on my part, i dont have inside knowledge of the binnig process, but it does seem very likely at this point.

As for some 50, the 100, 150 and 200 models, i think those are a different design with a more powerful pump (they draw more current too). I suppose the 50 mW category contains the best lasers of the first line, and the worst of the second, yielding about the same power.

D

Deleted member 8382

Well, i think there might be something else going on there:

I think there is one general production line for the DX lasers up to 50 mW or so, which is likely since they all come with the same pump diode and driver (though these designs change over time, they dont seem to change between rated power).

Up to now, these things were binned to 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50 mW versions, just depending on how well they performed at the end of the production line.

With the FDA import problem on anything over 5 mW, i suppose US demand for the 5 mW version got so large there werent enough in the 5 mW bin... and they just threw in lasers from other bins (or straight of the line without checking) to meet demand.

This is speculation on my part, i dont have inside knowledge of the binnig process, but it does seem very likely at this point.

As for some 50, the 100, 150 and 200 models, i think those are a different design with a more powerful pump (they draw more current too). I suppose the 50 mW category contains the best lasers of the first line, and the worst of the second, yielding about the same power.

I completly agree with this. the only thing I can't understand is the "true/not true" spearation. maybe they got 2 lines?

It also could be posible that they were selling the bad units of every power as not-true, because as far as I understand, they all come from newwish :p

"TRUE" may be the ones they actually test... The others are probably
just sampled...

Jerry

Benm

I'm not sure where these lasers are tested. You'd think the factory would do the first testing and binning to prevent total duds and get a premium for high powered ones.

I doubt dx does power testing on the ones sold as true, as those are sometimes underpowered as well. Perhaps they do a quick visual check at some point - it would be hard to tell 30 mw from 50 mw that way.

Sampling wouldn't be much use with these products, as there is so much variation within a production run getting good samples hardly indicates the rest of the units is okay... sampling is more useful for products that either work right or must have been misassembled (circuit boards etc).

I read the book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair a long time ago. In the book, there's a company manufacturing corned beef in tins. Every 5th tin is labeled as "premium grade" and sold for 25ct instead of 20ct... but the contents were exactly the same.

It sometimes looks like it doesn't matter which green DX laser you buy, you'll always get the same stuff...

karbon

thanks guys this is a really helpful thread. i think you are right they are all the same lasers but higher performing ones get sold for more mws. also i agree i think to meet demand of 5mw they were using others.

ok bad news the 10 units came in and there was only 2 units over 20 mw
these were tested first grab first test

#1 22mw
#2 27 mw
#3 8 mw huh 8 mw noooo
#4 12 mw ok better
#5 9 mw craaaaap
#6 15 mw awe come on
#7 12 mw
#8 10 mw
#9 6 mw dude the lowest i have ever gotten
#10 7 mw

looks like my overpowered run is starting to level off
but now i have 405 hosts availible lol

Last edited:

Eku

So what?

5 times the rated power and all the others are STILL over 5mw :D!
Thats great!

Can't complain even if you do it's DX :p

Maybe if people weren't writing...

"3x-4x over its rated power"
"it is around 15mW "
"it is more than 30mW"
"about 10-15 mW"

...on the DX reviews they would not be double checking them.

oh well it was fun while it lasted i mean 10 bucks for a 5 mw is still good and 10 bucks for a 10-20 mw is better i usually use these for hosts anyways

hey Mark post "803" its a sign bro lol

LOL I cant believe I posted over 800. Man..I need a life LOL. J/K We all need a life, 'DOH

The numbers that haunt me are 327.

How is the battery life on those?

Last edited: