Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX flashlight hosts without LED parts for half price!

Aaron

Ok, so everybody here is familiar with using DealExtreme flashlights as hosts for laser building. We usually have to take apart the flashlights to remove the LED parts. But on Dino Direct, I found some of the most common DX hosts with internal LED parts removed for about half the price they sell for on DX!

Here is a quick link for people too lazy to type: Flashlight Body Hosts--Dino Direct search

Interestingly enough, you can scroll down the page to find the full flashlights for about triple thier DX prices... :thinking:

Last edited:

rhd

Hurry, it seems as if the deal only lasts for 2 more days!

Or don't hurry. I'm pretty sure that deal lasts forever. Or perhaps more accurately, another suspiciously similar (identical?) deal begins in 2 days from now :)

Me either, though mainly because their representative here has been extremely obnoxious. And paying to get misinformation stickied didn't help either...

rhd

They are incredibly sketchy and unethical. They have pulled so many "stunts" on pricing that I would never ever order from them. Not worth it. I'd pay $3 more on a host from DX, even if I had to toss out some LED parts I didn't need.

jakeGT

i will never again in my life purchase another single item from dealextreme, price angels, or dino direct, I have had one purchase with all 3 business(if you can call them a business, i sure as hell dont)

Dealextreme- placed my order for a $5.00 item 32 days ago, i go to check the status yesterday, and find that it says- waiting to be shipped, so i cancel them and send them a very nasty letter, 32 days and not even one email telling me they just took my money and have no intention on sending me crap or telling me theyre ripping me off

price angels- ordered another $5.00 item, waiting 16 days, sent john a pm on here, 15 days later i get a reply saying you should cancel it we dont sell that stuff anymore, wonderful thanks for the email once again, wait 3 more weeks for a $5.00 refund, wonderful

dino direct- purchased an item never got a confirmation, mmy order number did not work, sent an email and they said they had no knowledge or record of my order, so i told them if I didnt get a refund we would have bigger problems. needless to say i got an email a week later saying oh we found your order number! we'll ship it tomorrow, i said no you wont you will send me my refund, yet agin 2 weeks for a $7 refund

In conclusion, they all suck and I will never order another thing from any of those websites, they are ripoffs and I do not appreciate them at all.

rhd

My perspective is that they're all cheap, so what do we really expect?

The bottom line on DX for me -
I've ordered from DX dozens and dozens of times. I've had long delays and short delays. I've received products that exceeded my expections, and products that didn't work at all.

What I've NEVER had with DX, is an order that didn't eventually show up, or a broken product that they didn't stand behind and ultimately make right. It doesn't happen overnight, and they aren't fast to respond to emails or customer service inquiries, but you're not paying for the level of service that we all take for granted from North American retailers. Really - you're NOT PAYING FOR MUCH AT ALL - above and beyond the item cost, their transaction fees, and the postage.

You can get a decent flashlight shipped to your doorstep from the other side of the world, for the same $5 that a drink at Starbucks would cost you. That's pretty phenominal. That isn't possible if we also start expecting *decent* customer service and *reliable* timelines.

jakeGT

Still I'm not throwing 5 dollars away, I could take a five dollar bill out of my wallet and light it on fire and get the same exact thing those 3 sites have given me so far

32 days to not send me two pieces of plastic? That's terrible, even for those junk websites

rhd

Still I'm not throwing 5 dollars away, I could take a five dollar bill out of my wallet and light it on fire and get the same exact thing those 3 sites have given me so far

32 days to not send me two pieces of plastic? That's terrible, even for those junk websites

I disagree about the "terrible" part. I have an outstanding order with DX that was placed on December 15th. That's 50 days and counting now, and that's just par for the course.

It IS slow, and you're 100% correct about the fact that they don't have good customer service.

I just don't think that should be a shock to anyone at this point, and I don't think it is unreasonable or unethical. You're NOT PAYING for expedience or good customer service. Let me reiterate, I have never ever paid for something from DX that didn't ultimately get to me.

rhd

My point is this -

There are labels like "unethical", "ripoff", "scam", and "fraudulent".

Then there are descriptors like "crappy customer service", "slow shipping", "bad communication".

These are very different things, and I think it is important not to confuse the two. Most Chinese gadget sites at least fall into the second category, and some sites (DinoDirect in my opinion) legitimately fall into the first. But the two categories are not synonymous with each other. Falling into the second category shouldn't, on its own, push a site into the first.

jakeGT

It is lies though. Right on all three websites it says ships
In 2-4 days!!! With exclamation points like it's awesome, 2-4 days it'll be shipped, not 32

Anybody else can do what they want, I'm just saying I will never do business with anyone who blatantly lies directly to you. I do not and will not trust any website that handles business like that ever

Helios

I received part of my priceangels order 2 weeks ago...still waiting on the rest

megha

You can ask for refund when more than 10 days have passed. And they are finishing today the chinese new year so don't spect items to be shipped while they don't work.

Dino direct are crooked bastards. Those deals are just normal prices.....just because they add a number that's double the price and push a strike through it, doesn't mean your actually getting a deal.
I'll just stick with priceangels. They haven't screw me yet on hosts.