Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 35mW Green Lab Module Review (Updated 2/12/08)

Re: DX 35mW Green Lab Module Review (Updated 2/12/

This next picture shows the rear part of the module. The optic on the end appears to be a plano-concave lens.

Attachments

• DSCF0820sm.jpg
    DSCF0820sm.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 356

This picture shows the laser diode mounted in the module end cap. It appears to be mounted somewhat differently than what we are used to seeing in that it is pushed into the module from the front. There doesn't appear to be any way to get to the wiring at the back of the laser diode without removing the laser diode from the end cap. This protrusion is physically part of the end cap and is threaded for mounting the MCA/optic assembly. It's wrapped in what appears to be teflon tape.

Attachments

• DSCF0822sm.jpg
    DSCF0822sm.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 212

This picture shows the inside of the MCA/optic assembly. This unit threads onto the end cap and allows for some adjustment of space between the MCA and the laser diode.

Attachments

• DSCF0824sm.jpg
    DSCF0824sm.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 393

This is the MCA/optic assembly taken apart. The MCA appears to be the usual 1mm x 1mm but with some type of metal sleeve around it. I don't think it's anything special. This one appears to have a small defect at the corner which probably doesn't affect anything.

Attachments

• DSCF0829sm.jpg
    DSCF0829sm.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 188

This last picture shows the inside of the front part of the module. At the front is what appears to be a plano-convex lens that makes up the rest of the collimating optics. It's adjustable from the front by removing the threaded cover ring and turning the threaded lens mount.

Attachments

• DSCF0825sm.jpg
    DSCF0825sm.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 189

thanks for the pics Knimrod, I think i'll put some hot glue on the cable to make sure I don't damage the wires from moving it around

Benm

Too bad it died, but very nice pictures of the innards!

Doesnt look like it would be easy to replace the pump diode, though i guess it would be possible by destuctively removing the dead diode and pusing a new one in with wires pre-attached. Or potentially even drill a hole were the cable now exits to have direct access to the diode pins.

I noted that "wiggling" the wires that exit the back of the module would cause the output to flicker.

Do you reckon a loose connection is what actually killed it? I can imagine that an intermittent connecton combined with the current souce driver could blow it up as soon as it reconnects...

I guess this could be prevented by epoxying the wires where they go into the module so there is no bending point at the edge of the hole.

I do think it was an intermittant connection that killed it. At some point I'll try and get the diode out so I can see what's up.

Razako

I think this is what happened. When it disconnects it gives the capacitors in the driver a chance to fully charge. When it reconnects your diode gets hit by a couple of amps and gets fried.

Benm

Seems we all agree on the cause of death though. Too bad its just a couple of flimsy wires that killed this laser really, but on the other hand i guess its also good. I see you've ran it at 100 mW for quite a while, and if it sustains that it's a very interesing unit i think.

FokoF

Hey guy! I want to hook my module up to a transformer, no more batteries, at 6V but what mA range is safe, i've got one that give 120mA and another that outputs 360mA, whats best?

you might want one with more than that as mine consumes 350ma at 5v, plus make sure you get a heatsink on the power transistor

FokoF

Cool i'll try that, ;D already got a heatsink on it, runs a little on the hot side for my liking

my friends wl executive advance is also reall overpowered, it says on the sticker <40mw but i got it to light a match and it stings skin fast, i wrote words on chocolate bars lol

I think it'd be neat to convert it into a 1W+ IR/NIR labby. I'd try it if it was cheaper.