Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Duration of afterimages?

I'm curious what the maximum duration of afterimages from looking at the dot of a laser are, whats the maximum you have experienced?

I have had spots in my vision (No reflections, so i didnt hit my eye) today, but they gradually get less and less noticeable after exposure. I probably wont use this laser at close range as its a nuisance and concerning.

So has anyone experienced after images lasting hours or even days? this post makes me sound like an idiot, but I take safety very seriously and have not exposed myself to any sort of reflection.. beams always end on a black non-reflective surface. however, the hypochondriac is concerned =p

I didn't see any threads on the forum about this, and found only 1 online resource saying there are reports of them lasting days. Most of the resources are assuming <5mw pointers, which is why I'm asking you guys where >200mw is the norm =p. this was a 1 watt laser btw.

Which of Your current lasers were You using? I hope it wasn't the Arctic. Viewing the spot from anything less than 30-50 feet can cause permanent retinal damage. I would consider going and having a Doc take a look.

Coherent:

Wear your freakin goggles!!!! This post just makes me angry. Yes, that post does make you look like an idiot. Class 4 lasers can cause permanent damage from looking at the spot if you're close enough. Not saying you have permanent damage from it, but it is possible if you haven't been wearing your goggles. Did you think wicked put all that stuff on their website just for the hell of it? Facepalm.

Moptsp

Don't look at the spot up close in your house. 1W is a bit different than a 100mw laser. I would suggest starring at a 100mw spot either, but I also wouldn't suggest you even look at a 1W spot. It could possibly do damage.

Have your afterimages gone away? You should be able to tell if they are after images versus real blindness. I have had after images from different light sources to stay for an hour or so, but nothing much more.

It 445nm You now have to worry about the Photo-Chemical effect. The damage might not be fully apparent just yet, and might get worse after a few days. Pay attention to any and all changes in your vision, and if something is changing hit the Eye Doctor ASAP.

Coherent

Wear your freakin goggles!!!! This post just makes me angry. Yes, that post does make you look like an idiot. Class 4 lasers can cause permanent damage from looking at the spot if you're close enough. Not saying you have permanent damage from it, but it is possible if you haven't been wearing your goggles. Did you think wicked put all that stuff on their website just for the hell of it? Facepalm.

I understand the need for goggles, but there is a balance. If you buy a 1 watt laser and never view it except with goggles, what is the point of having a 1 watt laser since it only looks like 30 mw? I use my goggles untill I determine its at a safe spot, then I take them off for a few seconds to view it. You can preach all you want about goggles but its a fact that you might as well be using a low powered laser if you are diminishing the beam to nothingness with goggles. I would assume MOST of us here, if not all of us have looked at every single laser we own at least once without the goggles, if not every time.

This is not the point of the thread, I'm asking what peoples experience with after images are, please don't lecture me, I don't even plan to use this laser much anymore (See my sell thread) because its useless to me without goggles, and the afterimages seem risky long term.

Last edited:

Moptsp

I understand the need for goggles, but there is a balance. If you buy a 1 watt laser and never view it except with goggles, what is the point of having a 1 watt laser since it only looks like 30 mw? I use my goggles untill I determine its at a safe spot, then I take them off for a few seconds to view it. You can preach all you want about goggles but its a fact that you might as well be using a low powered laser if you are diminishing the beam to nothingness with goggles. I would assume MOST of us here, if not all of us have looked at every single laser we own at least once without the goggles, if not every time.

This is not the point of the thread, I'm asking what peoples experience with after images are, please don't lecture me.

You got it all wrong man...1W is not a toy of any sort. This includes enjoying the spot without glasses...Why don't you max out the gas pedal in your car because it can go 100+ mph? Same reason you don't look at the spot without glasses. That's another thing I don't like about wicked lasers. They make there hosts look like fun toys. They're not at all! These things should be used very cautiously and professionally. It's high amounts of light energy, not to look at, but so that it can be used for different applications.

But come on man, you know saying "what's the point if you can't look at it", is a bit stupid to say...

We are just here trying to prevent eye damage. We might come off a bit offensive, but we are still trying to help...

To tell the truth I don't think anyone will know the answer, because 1watt 445nm is so new

Coherent

To tell the truth I don't think anyone will know the answer, because 1watt 445nm is so new

Coherent

Im just asking in general, not for 1 watt or 445nm. and yeah I appreciate the concern for new members safety. I'll agree that I don't think the point about walls and such has been driven home enough. Everyone knows to watch out for reflective surfaces but a wall seems safe to most people. I'm waiting for my 6 g2s to use the arctic again, and only outside. I am selling these g1s. It's a very misleading laser inside because it doesn't seem very bright compared to a green, but the power is still there. of course I will see an eye doctor if I still have these 2 days from now. They get better every passing hour it would seem so I'm not entirely concerned. I need to be looking for them to even notice besides on a pure white computer screen.

Back on topic though, and off the laser safety for now.. I know people here have had afterimages lasting a day or so, so whats your longest.. from any laser?

If the damage isn't permanent it will only be a matter of hours. A few cases (green & Red) I have heard the images lasted 6-12 hours.

Coherent:

Moptsp

Im just asking in general, not for 1 watt or 445nm. and yeah I appreciate the concern for new members safety. I'll agree that I don't think the point about walls and such has been driven home enough. Everyone knows to watch out for reflective surfaces but a wall seems safe to most people. I'm waiting for my 6 g2s to use the arctic again, and only outside. I am selling these g1s. It's a very misleading laser inside because it doesn't seem very bright compared to a green, but the power is still there. of course I will see an eye doctor if I still have these 2 days from now. They get better every passing hour it would seem so I'm not entirely concerned. I need to be looking for them to even notice besides on a pure white computer screen.

Yeah, I believe most of the warning labels and others from experience have driven through the need to watch out for reflections. But all still needs to know, even a wall reflects. Well...The fact is, if your seeing the spot, it's reflecting back. Else the light would never reach your eye and you would never see it. It's just defused. And yes, 445nm will appear dimmer than 532nm. Like infrared lasers, you may not see them at all, but you can still be blind. But keep in mind, UV invisible rays are much worse on us than IR rays.

Back on topic though, and off the laser safety for now.. I know people here have had afterimages lasting a day or so, so whats your longest.. from any laser?

The longest I have ever had was about 1 1/2 hour with it being quite obvious. Though this was not a laser. I did get hit by a mirror once by a 5mw green laser while I was doing a 7 bounce. It not something I'm proud of at all, but the spot in my eye only lasted about 30 minutes. I'm sure with a different wavelength it's a bit different though.

This thread is 110% fail for so many reasons. I suggest you remove the batteries from your arctic and never reinstall them before you blind yourself.

Moptsp

P.S
Thanks for the negative rep, SpyderFire. I wasn't even trying for +rep. And I don't think safety can be over preached. If I see a member that I think may be in trouble, I'm going to speak up. You obviously don't care about safety. And you may be another one of those that just joined because of the new arctic.

But yeah, thanks for the negative because I was really trying for a positive....

My pleasure. Dont worry about the rep im sure that if you stay on course you'll make it back up ;)

P.S
Thanks for the negative rep, SpyderFire. I wasn't even trying for +rep. And I don't think safety can be over preached. If I see a member that I think may be in trouble, I'm going to speak up. You obviously don't care about safety. And you may be another one of those that just joined because of the new arctic.

But yeah, thanks for the negative because I was really trying for a positive....

I care about safety but I also am willing to take risks to enjoy something more. I'm not asking for advice. I know the risks I took. I also joined before the arctics and before the 445s planning to do a DIY 405nm.

You could say a lot of people don't care about safety, like motorcycle riders, atheletes etc. It's all too easy to injure yourself in this world. You can make your own decisions and reap the results of them, its called being an adult. when I view a lasers beam without goggles I know the risks. I feel it is worth the small risk to actually be able to see my laser.

I shouldnt have even mentioned I have after images, it derailed this entire thread. I was looking for information on after images, not safety precautions and lectures.

Moptsp

I care about safety but I also am willing to take risks to enjoy something more. I'm not asking for advice. I know the risks I took. I also joined before the arctics and before the 445s planning to do a DIY 405nm.

You could say a lot of people don't care about safety, like motorcycle riders, atheletes etc. It's all too easy to injure yourself in this world. You can make your own decisions and reap the results of them, its called being an adult. when I view a lasers beam without goggles I know the risks. I feel it is worth the small risk to actually be able to see my laser.

I shouldnt have even mentioned I have after images, it derailed this entire thread. I was looking for information on after images, not safety precautions and lectures.

Your right, you make your own decisions, and you can take your own risks. From your original post, however, it sounded like you didn't know the risk you had took at the time. I know you wouldn't be looking at the spot if you knew it could blind you, and I'm not saying it would. But I have a lot of reason to come to that logic.

In your original post you did ask for info on afterimage duration, and I am sorry if I completely ignored this at first. Still though, it seemed you were wanting safety advise as you were mentioning your circumstances rather than just plain out asking about after images.

I still back up what I said as I do believe I stand correct and think it needed to be said, maybe not in the same tone, but still needed. You could damage your eyes looking at the spot without glasses. With any higher powered laser for that matter, but 1W makes it much more probable.
Also, I believe I have now answered your question about afterimages in my case.

Hope your eyes get right soon. :)