Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dumb question...in theory could you use sum frequency to make a DPSS Magenta Laser?

norbie

I get that Magenta does not have an actual wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum it's "non-spectral". I also know that some hobbyists have been able to achieve Magenta anyways by combining beams of red and blue or red and violet just as some hobbyists have made yellow beams by combining red and green.

I also kind of get that the DPSS lasers are made by either frequency doubling or sum frequency generation. 532nm is made by frequency doubling 1064nm. 473nm is made by frequency doubling 946nm. 589nm and 593.5 use sum frequency generation I believe.

So I guess what I'm asking is if in theory can the principle that gives us yellow DPSS lasers be used to create a non-spectral color like Magenta? I get yellow is in the spectrum and magenta isn't but a DPSS yellow is made by adding two beams together so in that sense it isn't pure either...couldn't you achieve non spectral colors by adding two beams together?

Blord

It doesn't work this way. The crystals only double at very specific wavelength. They aren't generic doublers. That is why the green DPSS lasers are only 532nm and they don't vary. If the pump diode falls out of range the laser get weaker and it doesn't get weird colors. :)

Last edited:
What an interesting question! I learned something from Blord's response. Thanks.

I think a better answer to his question is that yellow is not just two beams shoved together in 589 or 593.5nm lasers. Rather, two photons of different frequencies are actually combined to make a single photon of a single frequency. It is for this reason that you cannot use sum frequency generation to make a non-spectral color - all wavelengths produced by sum frequency generation must be spectral.

If you combined a 650nm and a 445nm in controlled amounts you could make yourself a magenta looking beam right? I know when I hit my 445nm and my 638nm on my ceiling in my room the whole place fills with near magenta colored light.

I know this isn't the same thing as what you are talking about but it appears to be the only means to attaining a magenta laser right?

Yes, you can combine the lasers to make a magenta laser, but note you still have two lasers, they are just overlapping.

Exactly. The more precisely you can align and collimate them to be the same specs the more it would appear to be a single beam. Its actually a project I am planning on doing.

Fiddy

get a rgb laser module and pull power from the green source :D

I get that Magenta does not have an actual wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum it's "non-spectral".
So I guess what I'm asking is if in theory can the principle that gives us yellow DPSS lasers be used to create a non-spectral color like Magenta? I get yellow is in the spectrum and magenta isn't but a DPSS yellow is made by adding two beams together so in that sense it isn't pure either...couldn't you achieve non spectral colors by adding two beams together?

No matter how you combine or sum difference (or whatever) two (or more) photons, you won't ever get a "magenta" photon/wavelength result as there is no such animal (for human eyes anyway!). We're all stuck using two laser sources to get into that "non-spectral" range.

T.

Last edited:
If you combined a 650nm and a 445nm in controlled amounts you could make yourself a magenta looking beam right? I know when I hit my 445nm and my 638nm on my ceiling in my room the whole place fills with near magenta colored light.

I know this isn't the same thing as what you are talking about but it appears to be the only means to attaining a magenta laser right?

I have a magenta lab laser.. made by Sunclan Laser- sold on ebay- inside there is ONE 650 red diode and a PHR 405 nm diode they are combined by using a dichro- so while you would get a color close to magenta with a 650+445 it will not really be magenta- IMO

It is not a very complicated process at all and can be done by anyone. same can be said for making a G+R=Y or a Teal/Tourquios laser with 445 + 532-- -- if you go to a Laserium show and wear the cheap 'trip' glasses they provide you will no longer see any of these combined colors- they will appear as the two colors very close together. If you do see yellow thru these glasses it is NOT made by combining but is a true yellow laser-(gas or DPSS) hope that this has been helpful--hak:beer:

Last edited: