Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dumb Capacitor Bank Question

Man sure has developed an ability and an appetite to create some nasty stuff. Hope we don't ever (need to?) see it used.

That's a noble concept, but with Iran going hot I would bet we are headed for some nasty days ahead, make preparations for you and your loved ones to attempt to survive...I need to update my iodine tablets.

Individuality allows us to be nasty to one another, i.e. "well, if you do that to me, I will do this to you!".... and around and around it can go, until one of the two (or more) are dead. I guess mankind will survive itself, simply due to the number of us, difficult to completely kill the whole species off, but I bet we could reduce the numbers to 1 percent or less in a all out war using nukes.

Hey everybody!

I am currently in the process of trying to build a solid state laser that is pumped by a charge of flash powder. Usually, people just use flashlamps to pump ruby and such, but if I can get a flash powder setup working, it would be cheap and scalable for LARGE chunks of laser glass and other media.

Obviously my biggest obstacle is in the timescales. I need my powder to fully combust on a timescale comparable to the fluorescence decay lifetime of the lasing energy level of my lasing medium in order to achieve a population inversion. Flash powder is NOT an explosive, so sticking a fuse in the charge definitely is not going to cut it. My idea is to run a thin wire down the length of the charge, and then vaporize it with a very short pulse from a capacitor bank. Will it work? Who knows...but I'm willing to try.

So on to the question. In a flashlamp capacitor bank circuit, a HV pulse is used to ionize the gas in the tube to make it conduct, allowing the capacitors to always be hooked up to the lamp. I obviously cannot do this in my flash powder setup, and if use a switch I'll likely just blow up the contacts instead of quickly setting off my charge. I really don't care if I burn through switches quickly, I just want to make sure the majority of my capacitor energy goes into my flash powder. What kind of circuit do I need to build to achieve this? I'd really appreciate any help!

I suspect you may have seen these but if not, Information Unlimited has an example of what you want along with Marx generators and capacitor banks, and HV chargers. Wire Detonator/URL], [URL="http://www.amazing1.com/categories/high-voltage-products/triggers-ignitors-cdi.html"]Trigers, Marx Generators, Spark Gap up to 100kV, 100 pps

OVNI

Reminds me of these lyrics ...

EDIT: Cool, 100th post

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
"Hmm if only there was an electricity conductive FP"

Flash powder is usually about half magnesium dust which conducts quite well. Throwing a kilovolt or so at a line of the stuff should get you a very satisfactory flash. You might also consider using a small flashlamp as a triggered spark gap to switch your capacitor bank into your ignition wire.