Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver

JanKiki

Can anyone recommend me a good red/violet diode driver?
Could it be from AliExpress?
Thanks

You need to be a bit more specific. Which diodes do you want to drive? Red and violet are too vague.

DTR

These are cute.:p

Seriously as paul said some details would help understand what you are working with and trying to do. Every diode has specific requirements for operating current and forward voltage which will determine what configurations of power source and drivers will work as well as red diodes typically have very low forward voltages and blueray on the high end which might require different considerations for each.

Do you know the part number or have a link to the specific diodes if you purchased them. If you extracted them from say a blueray burner drive what was the drive model.

What are you building? Power source you plan to use?

JanKiki

These are cute.:p

View attachment 65078

Seriously as paul said some details would help understand what you are working with and trying to do. Every diode has specific requirements for operating current and forward voltage which will determine what configurations of power source and drivers will work as well as red diodes typically have very low forward voltages and blueray on the high end which might require different considerations for each.

Do you know the part number or have a link to the specific diodes if you purchased them. If you extracted them from say a blueray burner drive what was the drive model.

What are you building? Power source you plan to use?

I am trying to build a pen laser from DVD-RW or blue-ray burners. I am new to lasers so am not realy sure what is the power of those diodes.
Thanks

I am trying to build a pen laser from DVD-RW or blue-ray burners. I am new to lasers so am not realy sure what is the power of those diodes.
Thanks
Why do you want a 405nm laser? They are very close to UV, and because of this are not very visible unless you get up into 700 mW or higher powers. They do all come from single mode diodes if from blueray units and these give very tight power dense beams. The 650nm reds are more visible mW for mW if you wish to go in that direction. Powers higher than 900 mW in 405nm can only come from multi-mode diodes, though. The divergence isn't as bad as other multi-mode diodes and that could be a better option for you if that is what you are after.

JanKiki

Why do you want a 405nm laser? They are very close to UV, and because of this are not very visible unless you get up into 700 mW or higher powers. They do all come from single mode diodes if from blueray units and these give very tight power dense beams. The 650nm reds are more visible mW for mW if you wish to go in that direction. Powers higher than 900 mW in 405nm can only come from multi-mode diodes, though. The divergence isn't as bad as other multi-mode diodes and that could be a better option for you if that is what you are after.
I just want to try to build my own laser it can be red I already got some DVD-RW red
diodes I just need a driver.
Thanks!

reloader45

Hello,

what kind of Driver you will built, a linear Driver?

best regards

Edgar

You would be hard pressed to build a buck or boost driver that is current based for less money. Sure, an LM317 based linear driver can be made for less money, but if you are going with a red diode, you will want to keep your supply to the driver low as any excess voltage will add to the waste heat. I think you will find that $25.00 to $30.00 is the going price for buck, boost and sepic drivers here. Switching drivers, such as these, are priced in this area and are well tested to work and survive for any number of diodes you may need a driver for. Good luck.