Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dreamcatcher forum donation raffle

I thought of doing this after I finish one I am working on now, but doing it will help motivate me to finish the other as I have been slacking on it.

Up for grabs is the most recent dreamcatcher I have completed. it represents my best result yet and the current culmination of my crafting skills. I have become VERY good at it. I could go over all the improvements I have made over time but I wont.

I want to raise $400 for the forum with this dreamcatcher. sound like a lot of value? well, it is. here's my reasoning.

while the components of the thing are cheap, the most expensive being the uranium marble, it took roughly 55 hours to craft, the vast majority of that time spent painting. (speaking of the marble, shown is a clear one, but if the winner likes, I will send it with a crackled one instead. I'm torn on which I think looks better) it has tighter spacing for the weave, 12 spaces per half ring, and the rings are a mere four inches, making the weave much tighter than the one here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/shakenawakes-dreamcatcher-94719.html

that one was on 8 or 10 inch rings I think and had 10 spaces per half ring. the result is that this smaller catcher has higher percieved color density than the one Bruce photographed. the weave is tighter and spaces smaller, making painting it take about as long as the other despite it's much smaller size. the paints are all the same except violet, I found a much better violet. you will see the difference in that color if you compare my pics to Bruce's. I did even better on making all the coats of paint pretty damn even. yes, coats. plural. each string has 3, the GITD paint is pretty thin, and for the effect to look good it needs three coats. unfortunately the blue and violet only fluoresce, they do not also phosphoresce. you might have noticed that some of the spaces needing paint are only a few mm big. I delibrately weaved and painted it such that the spiral going each direction always overlaps the other on the same side, allowing each side to have every strand be an unbroken line of color while still allowing the color of the reverse spiral to be visible underneath. this is a nightmare to paint. but here I am giving details when I said I wouldnt.

$7.25 is federal minimum wage. 55 hours multipied by that gives $398.75. the materials were cheap but more than $1.25, that doesnt even cover the marble. with this in mind, the $400 mark starts to make more sense. that, and you are only donating a small percentage of that figure for a chance to win.

there will be 400 tickets, a buck each. (or your nation's equivilant) I'm not sure about limiting the amount of tickets per person, open to discussion on that.

unlike before, your posts themselves arent the submission, so feel free to comment. if you do donate though and want a chance to win, tell me in a reply post. I will go look at the donations, confirm your amount, and post your username and amount of tickets bought, as well as tickets remaining, in post #2 which I will reserve. this will last until $400 is raised.

some of you may know I offer these for sale in my thread, linked in my sig. unsuprisingly I havent sold one to anyone from this forum, which doesnt bother me too much. I mean it is a laser site. that said, the appeal of this piece is undeniable and any 405nm enthusiast, dreamcatcher fan, or blacklight fan will love it. this way it gets it's due and one of you fine people will have it for a fraction of what I'd want for one. oh and the forum gets some cash. to date, I've only sold 2, and given the rest to close (and lucky) friends

it is incredible to think something about softball sized took an extended work week to craft. it's easy to let seemingly small things go unappreciated. much like this forum which we should all appeciate and not take for granted

speaking of appreciation, I would appreciate it if the winner would cover shipping, mainly a concern if they live overseas. I will package this thing in a way that prevents crushing. the weave would survive and the rings could be put back in place, but the paint would be ruined and thus the whole dreamcatcher. on unpainted ones collapsing them doesnt really hurt them.

Last edited:

Re: Dreamcatcher raffle

Pman-60 tickets confirmed

Chrisbee-5 tickets confirmed

Razako-30 tickets confirmed

wizardG-20 tickets

Alaskan-45 tickets

olympus Mons-20 tickets

220 remaining...

still need a way to confirm though I suspect very much most of you will be truthful.

Last edited:
I notice the donations have not been updated since october of last year, or am I not seeing something? any other way I can confirm who has donated?

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know how much work went into dreamcatchers!

Best of luck with your raffle!

well, that much work went into this one. an unpainted version of it I could make in 4 hours or so

you don't want a ticket or two?

Last edited:
got the three of you down. still need a way to confirm, the donations havent been updated in a while it seems. not that I think you guys would lie

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for putting this together

verified from $20 from pman and $5 from chrisbee
Razako, can you please verify the email address you sent the paypal from? I see $10 received

PS the LPF donations bar app is no longer updated (had issue with that portion of app) All donation data is updated manually now.

Razako

Thanks for putting this together

verified from $20 from pman and $5 from chrisbee
Razako, can you please verify the email address you sent the paypal from? I see $10 received

PS the LPF donations bar app is no longer updated (had issue with that portion of app) All donation data is updated manually now.
Should be sent now. Pming you my email.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Thanks, received it Razako

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
$10 received from ferrarihong as well

$10 received from ferrarihong as well

those who donated after the thread creation may apply the amount towards this raffle but I'd like them to confirm they are interested in a chance to win by posting in this thread.

if you could update a single post with all donations as they come in that would be very helpful, I could check that list against any asking to be included.

if you email them a thanks for their donation, I have no problem whatsoever with you also informing them that their donation qualifies them for a chance to win here, in case they donated it ignorant of this thread

Last edited: