Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DPSS ~650nm pen?

Hello!

Is there some manufacturer offering DPSS produced ~650nm laser pens?

The usual ~650nm diode based pens have a large (and oval) aperture diameter & usually bad divergence. I am looking for a nice ~650nm pen with a round and small dot size with good divergence.

The atlasnova 635nm however have a really nice divergence.

I was looking at some old lab lasers producing 638-658 nm with a beam diameter of 0.9mm and around 1Mrad.

I suspect that the diode issues could be resolved with additional optics (translated to more expensive manufacture costs). Then again it would be cool with a red DPSS :)

Recommendations appreciated!

Mikael

Hey

No 650nm Dpss around , best i know of is 671nm is a dark red but is a dpss laser so it has a good beam :)

No 650nm Dpss around , best i know of is 671nm is a dark red but is a dpss laser so it has a good beam :)

Cool :) 671 absolutely falls within the desired margins. I would prefer all from 600 - 680nm. However the cost for closer-to-600nm would probably be quite large ;)

Pen size? And do you have a URL?

Thank you for the tip!

Last edited:
Clarification: "Pen size" == anything with reasonable size portable on batteries. I.e. not labbies :)

Hey

Sorry i dont know any portable 671nm , all 650 , 635nm are have the bad beam , u might want to look around for one im sure they may be a portable low power 671nm arounds

mhakali,

I've been looking for this same thing for a while now too. CNI produces 671nm DPSS lasers, but doesn't seem to want to put them in a PGL-III (flashight-like) or pen-like host. Only lab hosts.

I think a lot of people aren't aware that 671nm red (which by the way is a very nice shade of red) can be done via DPSS/doubling with the same round/gaussian/TEM00 beam quality that we see out of 532nm green lasers and the like. Often it's assumed that "if it's red, it's direct-diode" which isn't neccessarily true.

Most of the high powered reds we end up seeing have huge, square, multimode beams that are highly divergent. 671nm DPSS would 'cure' this as well. Sure it wouldn't be as visible as a 635nm diode or a 650nm diode, but it's still a laser I'd really like to have due to the beam quality and unique shade.

I know that CNI builds their lasers to order; perhaps we could convince them to produce some if we got enough of a group willing to buy.

Meanwhile, I'll let you know if I find a 671nm DPSS portable; I'm certainly looking for it rather constantly. It certainly is *doable*, it's just that I think most of the companies feel direct-diode red is 'good enough' in terms of portables, and that beam quality is only an issue in lab units; so the 671nm DPSS stays confined to lab units.

I'll write to CNI and see what they say, but maybe someone like Scopeguy (Glenn) may have a better contact there -- to see if they're willing to do a run of 'custom' units. (The crystal assemblies in a PGL vs a labby probably don't differ too wildly.)

(Update; I just did write to CNI asking about this so i'll report back what I hear. Nobody over there knows me from Adam so we may still want to see if Glenn or someone else can talk to someone behind the scenes over at CNI.)

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Dragonlasers used to have a Spartan series red laser that was 671nm red DPSS. That is the only portable DPSS red that I am aware of. Unfortunately, due to lack of interest and high cost, it was recently discontinued and replaced with a 640nm diode version. You could ask them though if there are any left over. Other than that I think your best bet, as aryntha said, is to see if CNI would do a small run group order of them if you could drum up some interest.

Last edited:
I just wrote to both CNI and Dragonlasers on both matters, and maybe we'll hear something back... The funny thing is, CNI says on their initial product offering page that portable lasers are offered in 671nm. But if you drill in further there's no mention of them.

Maybe this was a CNI thing all around... Shame, because if I knew DragonLasers was selling one I would have got it.. I've been looking for a 671nm DPSS portable for about a year now; I probably missed looking at DragonLasers for it, and it slipped out of my reach.

Anyhow, I'll see what the emails end up saying, and, honestly, mhakali, if you send them (DL and CNI) some messages as well, maybe they'd get an idea that there is some demand. I think we could probably cook up a few orders here if any of these companies would be willing to do it.

The only difference between 532nm DPSS and 671nm DPSS is the coating on the Nd:YVO4 crystal. Instead of being coated for 1064nm, it's coated for 1342. It's still KTP or LBO doing the doubling. 1342nm /2 = 671.

It should be a simple matter to pack in in a pointer if KTP is used. It would be exactly the same arrangement as a green pointer. Hopefully they do a run..

I will contact CNI and see if they want to work on these w/ a group buy. -Glenn

Nice seeing that I am not the only one looking :D

aryntha said:
I just wrote to both CNI and Dragonlasers on both matters, and maybe we'll hear something back..

I will contact CNI and see if they want to work on these w/ a group buy. -Glenn

Cool! :) Will be interesting to hear what they say. And what pricing we would be talking about.

ElektroFreak said:
The only difference between 532nm DPSS and 671nm DPSS is the coating on the Nd:YVO4 crystal. Instead of being coated for 1064nm, it's coated for 1342.

Sounds like it should not be that expensive producing then. More than that it would be a special batch pointers. Interesting information!

Mikael

Wow. Glenn, tell them you already have a number of interested buyers. :) And maybe we should all write to CNI and let them know that it's wanted.

671nm really is a deep and unique red color. I've seen it once, that's why I want it so badly. :) If I can't get it in a pen or PGL, i'll probably get it in a labby with GB#8. But yes, would rather have it in a portable.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I am really hoping for a pen, would sweet in the black and gold host. :D As for power, I'd be in for anything, even 5mW.

Hot damn!

Just got a reply:

We can provide the PGL-III-C-671nm laser, please let me know the output power that you need.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards;
Your friend ava
Changchun New Industries Optoelectronics Tech.Co.,Ltd

Following up with requests for pricing in 100mW, 200mW and 300mW; and quantities 1-10, and the pen host.

Glenn, are you getting a similar response? This could be awesome...