Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Don't forget to donate...

Jaseth

While it is great that people donate in return for using this forum, it should be made clear that we are not "running a little behind" on donations.
The forum won't suddenly disappear if the $242 "goal" is not met and exceeded again this month. Unless there are some extraordinary circumstances we don't know about, this forum makes a lot more money from advertising alone than it costs to host.
Donations are still encouraged since they pay for the time and energy Avery puts into maintaining this place (for instance, he has made sure it is almost impossible to DDoS), but people should be aware of what their money pays for and give out of appreciation rather than guilt.

Last edited:
Thanks Jaseth. After hearing from other members as well, I will leave the fund raising to the owners and avoid "spamming" the forum with donation drives. :)

Thanks Jaseth. After hearing from other members as well, I will leave the fund raising to the owners and avoid "spamming" the forum with donation drives. :)

Thanks for understanding....
Phoenix77 (Rob) usually does that on the Donations Thread.

This is the General Laser Thread....;)

Jerry

The only cost of running a forum this size is the extremely large sql database and vb license "updates." Bandwidth is cheap. I'm sure they pull well over 100$ a month from advertising alone which is like 4x more then operating costs. The rest is heavy amounts of gravy.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Really? Because I've owned 3 forums between 1/5 and 1/3rd this large. So I think I know exactly what I'm talking about.
My numbers are dead on unless they are incredibly inefficient or have a poor ad pricing going. Which I highly doubt considering how old this forum is.

Really? Because I've owned 3 forums between 1/5 and 1/3rd this large. So I think I know exactly what I'm talking about.
My numbers are dead on unless they are incredibly inefficient or have a poor ad pricing going. Which I highly doubt considering how old this forum is.

So... what happened to your Forums....:undecided:

Jerry

LMAO, you're just digging yourself deeper.
You're right. My estimates are probably low.
Just because I don't spam my opinion here constantly like you do doesn't mean I don't pay attention and check these forums regularly.
You might want to stick to the things you know and resist the urge to comment on every little thing you read.

So... what happened to your Forums....:undecided:

Jerry
2 were gaming communities. One was a hosting company but that was mostly client based and not really a open community. Still fairly large though.
I sold one of the communities to my partner, the other I just left. The hosting company I sold years ago. aogamers.com banishedsoldiers.com digitalservers.org

Last edited:
You're right. My estimates are probably low.
Just because I don't spam my opinion here constantly like you do doesn't mean I don't pay attention and check these forums regularly.
You might want to stick to the things you know and resist the urge to comment on every little thing you read.

For the most part my opinions are welcomed. Unless they are directed to you that is. And many people here post waaay more than I do. I only post on things that interest me. I dont just randomly throw my opinion around. I have better things to do.

I know what the ballpark figure is for advertising here, but that's Avery's business. I just wanted to let you know you really have no idea what that is. You're the one talking out his a$$, because you dont, and wouldnt know how much money is generated by ads here. Every web site is different. Unless you've gotten direct quotes from the owner, no one can really knows what capital is generated.

That's not opinion, its fact.

Last edited:

Things

I'm sure they pull well over 100$ a month from advertising alone which is like 4x more then operating costs. The rest is heavy amounts of gravy.

I know for a fact that Avery is paying _at least_ $250/month for his hosting.

It's not so much the number of members LPF has, but the sheer traffic load. Most of the time I look there are well over 6000 people viewing the forum. That's a lot of load if they're all looking at a thread full of pictures, for example.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that Avery is paying _at least_ $250/month for his hosting.

It's not so much the number of members LPF has, but the sheer traffic load. Most of the time I look there are well over 6000 people viewing the forum. That's a lot of load if they're all looking at a thread full of pictures, for example.
Viewing text costs nothing. I also don't see anywhere to upload pictures so that doesn't generate any bandwidth if they are hosted elsewhere. Even if they were hosted here it would be unwise to keep the pictures and sql database in the same spot.

The only way I see hosting being 250+ a month is if it's the entire database from all the years since day 1. If that's the case you'd be better off buying a box and co-locating it.

Bandwidth is cheap. Hosting a multi terabyte sql database is expensive. That's why most of the large forums archive data at some point.
Also advertising on a niche market isn't cheap which this is. Under estimating the revenue generating abilities of a site like this and claiming it's going to go under if donations aren't received like the OP claimed would be a mistake.

Though if you like something you should always offer a token of your appreciation. Hopefully that token is adding to the diversity and "coolness" of this place.