Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dogs and pointers!

does your dog chase lasers?

• Total voters
It seems lots of people have cats on this forum...anybody have a dog? I'm asking because i'm wondering if your dog will chase a laser dot like a cat. my dog is very smart so i guess its normal for dogs too? she is a lab/Aussie puppy! she is very energetic and emotional and life to her is always fun. not too mention that she also loves the couch too :yh:
please post regarding w/ anything that has too do w/ dogs! it would be interesting too find out if it is only my dog, but im sure its not :beer:

This little doberman and kid video, has been making me laugh for years.

I think you have less dogs chasing lasers, because they learn really quick. That the little dot of light is impossible to ever really get.

I'm a cat person, I love my cats. I have a hard time even using my lasers around my one cat Audrey. I actually try and avoid letting her see me playing with them.
She has been chasing my lasers for four years now. The poor thing tries so hard to get the dot. She gets very serious and concerned that she cant actually catch it. Even after I put them away and leave the room, she will stay and wait and wait... for it to reappear. I actually feel bad for her like her little brain is going to overload. My other cats catch on pretty quick and know it's just a game when I put it away the go on with their business.

Get some video of your dog chasing your laser. She sounds like a cute little girl

Last edited:
Ceasar Milan(The Dog Whisperer) advises to take care with some dogs as they can become obsessed sometimes causing very intense uncomfort for your dog- If a dog could talk he would ask for a walk with his master. Get a tennis ball but a laser is NOT good for every dog.

Never heard of a cat becoming laser dot obsessed --some like to chase, some only a few times and a few cats I have seen ignore the laser almost from the get-go.

My dog was interested in chasing a laser dot for about five minutes. After which he figured out it was coming from me, and brought another toy to play. The current obsession is a small squeak toy made to look like a soccer ball.

My dog plays with zhu zhu pets. Doesn't give a damn about lasers.

IsaacT

My dogs have two very different reactions to my lasers. My older dog, Amy, is completely obsessed with the laser. For 5 minutes or so after I shone the laser, she is walking around sniffing for it. If I put it on the ceiling she starts to whimper and whine. My other dog, Bella, however, is not as interested. If it is a red laser, however, she will go after it ferociously but after I stop she loses interest.

I try not to do it too much around Amy, but around bella it is just hysterical. I also go her to nip my sister's knee :eg:

Isaac

Last edited:
after i heard that comment about "INTENSE DISCOMFORT". im done. thats it.
no more laser for the puggle. i love him toooooo much.

My dog loves chasing a laser dot around, he's so into it that it actually works like an invisible leash when we're outside. Once he knows I have that pointer on me he stays at my side not matter what. When I take him on walks with it he follows me through any distractions (passing cars, bikes, skateboards, other dogs - all the things he'd normally chase) and doesn't leave my side until I shine the dot for him. It's awesome & I know he loves it.

I've read about the dog whisperers theory on 'intense discomfort' before and I dont worry about it at all because my puggle doesn't whimper, whine or fiendishly crave the laser when it's not there. If he suffered from some noticable form of withdrawal I'd stop doing it, but thankfully that's not the case. BTW I've never used more than a 20mw pointer with him because he doesn't know not to look at the dot, I'd never want to blind my beloved sir monte!

:beer:

Last edited:

IsaacT

One time I was shining my 261mW Green Laser outside(not towards my dogs) but one of them saw the beam and tried to jump up and bight the beam. Thankfully I saw them try that and released the momentary switch. But it was interesting to note that they saw the beam.

This little doberman and kid video, has been making me laugh for years.

I think you have less dogs chasing lasers, because they learn really quick. That the little dot of light is impossible to ever really get....

Get some video of your dog chasing your laser. She sounds like a cute little girl

that video is too funny :crackup:
here is a video of Roxanne https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncewfmj1x9t7wyn/VE.1350423042894.mp4 here is also one of her acting like a cat a while ago :D https://www.dropbox.com/s/afdr1jrlm8oyjne/20111221_153840.jpg
i can't seem to find a pic when we first got her :cryyy: but i will look :) (oh and srry for bad vid quality taken on my phone and didnt want to wait too long to export so i exported it in 720p) also insert link was screwing up too :confused:
:beer: Justin

^^^ thanks for the links- more pics of pets please ==also --tell us about your avatar==hak