Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does Reputation dissapear over time?

Hi i had a look for this i cant do a search as my phone just won't do it allows everything else but cant search the box just closes when i type in what I'm looking for . i was 100% sure i had 1835 rep points yesterday. ,i then got another 79 today but instead of going up its gone back to 1615 points no negative rep in between is there something I'm not aware off, do you need to keep having it topped up to maintain the same lvl of rep you have. I'm not asking for Rep but I'm not real keen having it vanish when i got a plus rep and it went minus on the total anyone else have the same thing happen?

Trevor

It doesn't decrease over time.

If you had lost 200 points, your rep power would have dropped by 2. Did it?

Trevor

No it didn't but i had taken a mental note what total i had and when i got more rep + 79 i looked and it had gone backwards not the number shown under my name but the total points, I'm not going to lose sleep over it by any means , i just wanted to know for future reference, i may have a had senior moment but i doubt it, anyway it doesn't diminish over time that's what i wanted to know thx

Last edited:

Trevor

If you had actually lost 200 points in your profile, you would have lost 2 rep power.

The formula for rep power looks like this:

power = int(points / 100) + int(posts / 250) + years_member

So...

1 rep power per 100 points you have.
1 rep power per 250 posts you have.
1 rep power per year you've been a member.

If you didn't lose 2 rep power, you didn't lose 200 points. :)

Trevor

ARG

If you don't have any negative reputations on your profile it didn't go down.

So far as I know the only way to remove reputation is to give someone a negative rep.

^That will take away the +rep with the thread? Interesting...

DJNY

^That will take away the +rep with the thread? Interesting...

Of course!

When you directly click onto your post above you see the +rep you got for it.
By soft-deleting just your message, you will still have the +rep.
By deleting this whole thread, you will loose this +rep.

Last edited:
I've just had the opposit, 3/4 days ago i was on around 33/34, i had one person rep me since and it gone up to 4o ish ???

Trevor

I don't think deleting a thread takes rep away. My first thread on Ellipsis got hard deleted by Avery, and I didn't lose anything I gained from it.

I could be misremembering I guess. :p

I've just had the opposit, 3/4 days ago i was on around 33/34, i had one person rep me since and it gone up to 4o ish ???

I'm partially responsible, sorry. :tinfoil:

Trevor

I dont even pay attention to my rep points. Some days I post and notice someone left me rep. Other than that I dont pay attention to it. You build a better rep by contributing and helping people out. Not by some silly point system :).

The point system just makes it a bit easier to identify how much that person has helped. Thats about it.

ARG

Rep does not go away when the thread is deleted.

It will still show in the user CP, just not in your profile.

^So the user will see it, but the other members and the public won't?