Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone have a fluorescent diamond?

Hey wallydraigle I got that new switch today and your blu-ray is all finished up, 115mw :) :) :)

GooeyGus said:
Hey wallydraigle I got that new switch today and your blu-ray is all finished up, 115mw  :) :) :)

I got your PM. I'm really looking forward to playing with this thing. One of the things I wanted to do was see if I could borrow my mom's fluorescent diamond so I could laser it, but of course I didn't get a chance before my BR melted. She has a really nice one which I've played with under a little blacklight pen, so it should be pretty awesome under BR. It glows a lovely blue when the light is on it and then a dull yellow for a while once the light goes off.

Hey folks!  I have two diamonds that glow and phospheresce, (still glow after the UV is shut off.  The 1/2 carat one is up for sale.  I can't part with the 1 ct stone as my sweetie gave it to me in a really great ruby diamond ring!  Both glow blue and phospheresce a yellow/ green.  In daylight the 1/2 ct is whiter and good clarity well worth the $1,000 price tag I ask mounted in a 14 Kt white gold necklace.  Before the violet lasers, I didn't get the diamonds "charged up" enough to see the glow after the UV was off!  so both effects are brighter with the blu-rays!  

Last night I collected about 15 orange glowing rocks on the lake shore in about 15 min.  Probs, they contain calcite.

I can't wait to get my Bluray laser diode up and running so I can blast everything.

I've got a question about your diamonds. Shouldn't the more expensive one be purer and not glow because its got less impurities? Makes me think those little chips will light up the best and the BR may help when buying the $$$ diamonds to check for purity.

That's a good question, and fluorescence in diamonds is actually kind of a controversial subject. I only know a little bit about it, but from what I gather the effect almost always makes a stone slightly more attractive than a similar non-fluorescent stone, because of the slight blue tint which our eyes favor. Diamonds are very rarely so fluorescent that it becomes an issue, but there are a couple problems that can happen. The first is that the blue fluorescence masks a yellow tint that becomes apparent in different light. This could lead someone to buy a lesser quality stone than they think they're getting. Another issue is that a stone can be so fluorescent that it appears milky in sunlight. Again, this might not be obvious in the store and someone could be buying an inferior stone unawares. Also, very rarely, diamonds can fluoresce yellow, which is bad, unless it's already a yellow stone, which is also bad.

I personally think a slight fluorescence in a diamond is just a little something cool that you don't see every day. If you're going to buy a diamond and are concerned about it, talk to your jeweler.

Ah thanks wallydraigle
I'm just glad my girlfriend doesn't like diamonds, she'd prefer a big aquamarine or peridot.

Careful, yellow green florescence is characteristic of Russian lab created diamonds. Nitrogen F-center defects basically. Phosphorescence is attributed to radiation induced F-centers natural or otherwise. Blue to blue green florescence is OK though. Red/orange is very rare due to selenium, phosphorus, and arsenic.

IMHO... Diamonds are way over rated!

Most of the diamonds here do little or nothing but in one set, one little chip lit up like day. I was using my 10 mW 405 to test.

Mike

daguin

heruursciences said:
IMHO... Diamonds are way over rated!

I agree . . .You should see some of my two and three color tourmalines ;)

Peace,
dave

I co-sign dave has some wonderfull gems -in fact he gave one to my wife -now she asked every once in a while hey is that dave your writing to on the forum :-? :-? :-? oh well ;)

[highlight]"That's a good question, and fluorescence in diamonds is actually kind of a controversial subject.  I only know a little bit about it, but from what I gather the effect almost always makes a stone slightly more attractive than a similar non-fluorescent stone, because of the slight blue tint which our eyes favor.  Diamonds are very rarely so fluorescent that it becomes an issue, but there are a couple problems that can happen.  The first is that the blue fluorescence masks a yellow tint that becomes apparent in different light.  This could lead someone to buy a lesser quality stone than they think they're getting.  Another issue is that a stone can be so fluorescent that it appears milky in sunlight.  Again, this might not be obvious in the store and someone could be buying an inferior stone unawares.  Also, very rarely, diamonds can fluoresce yellow, which is bad, unless it's already a yellow stone, which is also bad.

I personally think a slight fluorescence in a diamond is just a little something cool that you don't see every day.  If you're going to buy a diamond and are concerned about it, talk to your jeweler."[/highlight]

That's some pretty good information, Wallydraigle!  Diamond cost is less if the slightest milky or foggy appearance is caused by florescence or other inclusions.  I would rather ask a gemologist, though as most jewelers are salesmen and many jewelers, (non-gemologist), don't know as much about the science of gems!  My diamond, the one I'll keep is yellow, but looks very good to a rookie.  Fancy yellow natural stones, (rich yellow), are actually higher in cost and scarcity!  Although yellow and brown are the most common fancy colors, most diamonds are near white so a gems color is a difficult judgment to make and color grading is done unmounted in a special light along side comparison stones which all but a few look the same white color to the untrained.  The one I will sell is not foggy or yellow, so it's market value is as good as the non-fluorescent stones.  Also created diamonds (lab made) will always show a square pattern in the fluorescent glow, and often have metal inclusions in them from the pressure container they are made in.  If you don't learn the science of diamonds or gems, find someone to trust who does know gemology and the gem market.
  Diamonds are costly and more so than less costly and many more rare gems, but also the women who wants a rare non-diamond to show off to her friends as her engagement present, is not typical!

That said, the last wedding ring I made had a heart shaped ruby as the center stone! And many rubies glow a wonderful red in blu-ray! However that ring had 1/3 carat of diamonds as well! -Glenn, Gemologist & Jeweler

Just tried it on my wifes wedding ring with the Sparta her diamond glows blue/green, took me ten minutes to convince her to let me borrow it she was convinced I would destroy it with some crazy experiment. I guess she still remembers exploding liquid metal stuck on the walls of our old kitchen.

Ryo

Wallydraigle said:
That's a good question, and fluorescence in diamonds is actually kind of a controversial subject.  I only know a little bit about it, but from what I gather the effect almost always makes a stone slightly more attractive than a similar non-fluorescent stone, because of the slight blue tint which our eyes favor.  Diamonds are very rarely so fluorescent that it becomes an issue, but there are a couple problems that can happen.  The first is that the blue fluorescence masks a yellow tint that becomes apparent in different light.  This could lead someone to buy a lesser quality stone than they think they're getting.  Another issue is that a stone can be so fluorescent that it appears milky in sunlight.  Again, this might not be obvious in the store and someone could be buying an inferior stone unawares.  Also, very rarely, diamonds can fluoresce yellow, which is bad, unless it's already a yellow stone, which is also bad.

I personally think a slight fluorescence in a diamond is just a little something cool that you don't see every day.  If you're going to buy a diamond and are concerned about it, talk to your jeweler.

Not all yellow diamonds are consider bad. There are some that are more expensive than a pure white diamond..

I can't wait to build up my bluray laser.. My wife's diamond is fluorescent.. Fluorescents is definitely a touchy subject on diamonds. Some look perfectly clear and beautiful, some make it look a bit cloudy. Others look clear, and in direct sunlight make the diamond look darker.

Diamonds definitely cost way too much.. but my wife loves them.