Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone have a DX laser that DOESN'T mode hop?

Re: Does anyone have a DX laser that DOESN'T mode

JimJo said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1206646838/0#14 date=1206687825]Well it looks like I'm going to send it back. Its just too unstable... at maximum I can only get about 30 seconds of good tem00 and then it splits into like 3 or 4 dots with a smear on one side... :'(

I might as well send the 30 back while I'm at it....

Both lasers are pretty much worthless at this point. The 30mw wont even get like .5 sec of tem00

All that time and money spent and shipping it back, i would have just bought a nova laser.[/quote]

I already have one coming :D

one more thing, some of the DX lasers are very sensitive to temperature changes. some like to be cool, some like to be warm.

Upon closer inspection....I found out mine wasn't mode hopping at all!

I got a magnifying glass and found out it was putting out a rapdily scanning series of microscopic letters......

D-U-M-B F-O-R-E-I-G-N-E-R

I reprogrammed it to say:

B-U-Y A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N

Before I sent mine back.

TS

P.S. I'll probably buy another one......won't be surprised if this time it says:

"You couldn't afford to not to buy our products if you tried."

Techstuf said:
Upon closer inspection....I found out mine wasn't mode hopping at all!

I got a magnifying glass and found out it was putting out a rapdily scanning series of microscopic letters......

D-U-M-B F-O-R-E-I-G-N-E-R

I reprogrammed it to say:

B-U-Y A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N

Before I sent mine back.

TS

P.S. I'll probably buy another one......won't be surprised if this time it says:

"You couldn't afford to not to buy our products if you tried."

Is that supposed to be a joke or are you for real? Sounds like something I'd do if I were making these lasers ;D

Yeah, I'm totally for real.

:eek:

lol

TS

i second the idea that mode hopping is fixable (although this will void the warranty) - if you've seen my CDS laser repair thread i took a TEM20 green laser and got it back to a nice TEM00

My DX200 doesn't mode hop, especially after I modded it.

The driver needs supported better, cause they have it at an angle.  I used the back ring from a Radio Shack greenie, and a silicone blob.  Slight adjustment of the crystal and driver, and it turns into a beast.  Throttle it too far, or strain the laser diode leads, and it goes into TEM10 almost instantly if it is warm.

Get them in their happy place, and they work great, but it is a pretty narrow gap. QC is pretty shoddy too. It is uite apparent they make good 5mw pointers for R.S., but for the DX200 they threw the bigger diode/driver together just to get it to work.

But hey, it is cheap.

I have found that any mode hopping I get is almost always attributed to low batteries or a voltage deficiency from whatever your using to supply power. My experience shows a current deciciencey will not cause a mode change, just power output, it seems the voltage is the main culprit. However I could be wrong.

I did have a New Wish pen pointer that would hop no matter what, but it was just poor alignment of the diode/crystal.

I have a DX 35mW labby and it mode hopped once on me,dead batts, changed the batteries and all was well and has been ever since.

IgorT

Sputnik said:
I have found that any mode hopping I get is almost always attributed to low batteries or a voltage deficiency from whatever your using to supply power. My experience shows a current deciciencey will not cause a mode change, just power output, it seems the voltage is the main culprit. However I could be wrong.

Unless the laser has APC, the current is directly dependant on the voltage. And most of them don't have it. The driver has all the components, but doesn't do anything more, than a resistor and a cap would.

There are some lasers, that mode hop when the current goes too low, but i have bought two DX200s in the last month, and they both have modehopping issues. One immediatelly, the other after it gets hot.

I'm trying to fix the first one, and i'm getting the second one replaced. I'm worried what the replacement will be like. I know they used to be good, but now...

The one i'm fixing is capable of remaining in TEM00 now, depending on the diode/crystal alignment. Because there is no collimation between the diode and the crystals, there are two things, that have to be adjusted at the same time, in a perfect combination, to get the most power out - the distance of the crystals and the rotation of the diode. It's very painstaking, but i'm not giving up.

Another big problem with these is the lacking heatsinking between the module and the body. They hardly touch. And the "driver" only rests on the legs of the diode. With the first one i could actually make it hop between different modes by varying the pressure on the button and go back to TEM00. This is one of the MAJOR design flaws. It has to be supported somehow. The spring going up from the "driver" for contact with the body only makes it worse.

IgorT

BoostCrzy said:
my DX200 Green works PERFECTLY!!....nice, tight, well collimated beam visible in BROAD DAYLIGHT....i love it!....

When did you buy it?!?

yea i received two yesterday from dx one mode hopped untill I put some duracells in its ok for now its a non true 50 mW