Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anybody know why my laser suddenly started changing shapes??? And how to fix it??? EDIT: I pulled off cap today and I don't know what to do next.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You was describing before about some rattling?
Check to make sure all the parts are secure and there is no breakages. I have a feeling that it won't be mendable anyway.
Just it's worth a look as you never know, the fix might be simple.
Your divergence is also too high, so its possible that the collimating lens has been knocked.

Dragon Slayer

You was describing before about some rattling?
Check to make sure all the parts are secure and there is no breakages. I have a feeling that it won't be mendable anyway.
Just it's worth a look as you never know, the fix might be simple.
Your divergence is also too high, so its possible that the collimating lens has been knocked.
I dont know how to disassemble laser pointer.

GSS

Looking at this type of 532 pen laser I would say it's a 90% chance that you would destroy the pen housing in the process.
It's not the solid brass module style, but a aluminum tube over a smaller piece of brass that's pressed in the pen housing and the aluminum tubing itself has ridges down the length which makes it much harder.
Usually if you do take them apart it's best to push the module from the back and making sure you clear the driver that's attached in the back of the module. Problem with this style is the driver is about just as wide as the pen "I.D." itself and finding a way to clear the driver and the spring attached with it also is an issue.

Are you in the US?

GSS

This is the module style I believe your unit has..

Attachments

• IMG_20190524_083914 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190524_083914 (1).jpg
    558 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190524_083945 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190524_083945 (1).jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 8

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry Dragon, ah looks like GSS has nailed it. Have you had any luck in fixing any of that style Peter?

GSS

Sorry Dragon, ah looks like GSS has nailed it. Have you had any luck in fixing any of that style Peter?
:whistle:No my hands are to unsteady to ever realign a crystal.
I think I took this module out of a working pen host just to see as I had another 8 or so pointers at the time. I do remember having to basicly cut and peel the host off of it.
They are definitely a cheaper built module and the lens is on a all plastic tube that you see. I was hoping for a pot on the driver but by the time I joined the forum most of all the cheapie pens didn't have the pots anymore.

Encap

How much did you pay for it?
Looks like a low cost mass produced pen not meant to ever be taken apart, tampered with or "fixed".
If you had not damaged the tip , I would just say return it for exchange.

Practical reality-wise---my guess is the lowest cost in time and money way to fix it is buy another green pointer (hopefully a better quality pen) and toss the one you have in the rubbish bin.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
No, definitely not worth the time to send away. I suggested opening it up, as it doesn't harm or cost anything to take a look. At worst, you can salvage parts from it. Just buy another one, and be careful not to drop it next time.

kecked

Run it over with your car few time toss and replace of pull the core and insert a diode module for new pointer

Ha, is that really one of those three dollar pointers? If so, get another one, buy three, you might get a decent one out of that many. Often, when ordering a few, you might only get a couple which perform to your satisfaction.

Gadget

That lens tube you see will screw out, IF you can get the glue off of it. You may not even be able to see the problem from there. Go any further than that and it's press fit and glue all the way in. I tried gutting a couple of hosts like that, and you know what I ended up doing? I split the damned barrel and peeled it off. You're not going to get it all the way out without destroying something if you try to press it out.

For what it's worth,
-G

On an auction I won (total 3$) RG&V pen pointers & F$ (that means freeship-but not for LONG!!!)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laser&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=77422&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=blab1391&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_fosrp=1

^^ This is member KingKube (alan)
he has 3 greens --all very nice -- the actual powers listed are 5mW ONLY due to ebay policy.. like best those that take rechargable 18650 Batts

What ever you did wrong-- stop.
OR expect the same outcome.
w/o searching do you know what 'duty/rest' cycles are?
Custom or handmade handhelds can often be fixed-- the others not so much. this thread already has too much action for a $3pen-- plz finish yr profile. TYVM hak

kecked

Wonder why they seemed to use 405 and not 450 or so in the cheap units?

Fundles

I have a mode hopping 532nm 301 laser. Pretty sure it was like that the moment I received it, only have had it about a week.

So when I fire it, it starts at TEM00, and within a second the beam splits and rotates to at least TEM01 or TEM10 whatever, 2 dots. Every time. So i decided to do some tests:
1. swapped batteries from another 301 532nm I have. It's the laser not the battery.
2. Put it in the freezer
Now this test had some cool effects! At first when it was very cold it was hitting TEM30 or something; had at least 4 dots in a row! Then as it warmed back up it went down to 3 dots, then 2, then for about 5 minutes it was back down to TEM00, 1 dot. When it finally reached room temperature again, it now starts at tem00 and quickly adds dots on, after 1 second it looks like I'm hitting ~5 dots in the shape of a W.

Can anyone diagnose what the issue is based off these tests so I at least know what parts are good and what parts are bad? I find this very interesting.

kecked

Poor thermal design. Poor pumping optics. Poor mechanical stability.