Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you want to see moderators on LPF?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

Would you like to see moderators?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 8382

PLEASE AVOID VOTING IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH. (100 POSTS IS NOT LONG)

Lately an insane amount of polls are opened to the point in which users are not aware of the importance of every decision (including myself on the DaoO issue).

Having the forum self moderated has been working until lately. I think this is because now the amount of members has increased in such a way that decisions need to be taken once or twice per week, and IMO we can't all research on every issue individually.

Also, nowadays people is selling products, this implies dealing with people money. When this kind of serious things are around the forums I don't think polls are the way to go.

I suggest you to look at the democracy system. We choose once every X time who we want to represent us and then let them choose for us. Imagine everyone was called to vote on every new law. No sense. And also, see how only people over 18 can vote, not the babies.

Just look at the DaoO issue. Since not every voter was fully informed about it many voted incorrectly. This, plus the big amount of newbies voting without even know what they vote allowed him to escape once and almost twice, moreover, we almost loose some very valuable members.

With mods, Dave and the others would have passed the PMs to the mods ONCE and DaoO would have got banned on-the-fly.

Our actual system is slow and has proved to be terribly deficient. C0ld isn't an active user here and so I don't think he is the best one to decide about banning (no offense, but I think it's obvious actually some members that are more involved daily could have dealt with this easier and faster).

For this reasons I'm asking the community "do you agree in designing one or two mods?".

Also to keep the "self moderation" spirit, I think the Veterans should decide who is going to be a moderator, not everyone or C0ld.

Please C0ld, don't take me wrong. You've done a HARD and good work with the bans etc until now, but I think the forum is growing and you are not and you don't have to be here every day checking everything, while the forums do in fact need someone to do it.

Poll is public.

The idea, like 2007revolution said, is:

I say we should have mods BUT they should only be post mods able to delete/lock/edit threads and not be able to banish people. Reason for this is that I believe having 3 or 4 post mods will be able to control the troll fests and flame wars that have been going without the risk of people being banned because of personal vendettas which happened before. If anyone needs to be banned, people will make their cases to the mods who will investigate and come to a conclusion which will presented to c0ld who will have the last say. This means c0ld does not have to waste his time trying to investigate it himself and means there is less chance of mod abuse of power.

Yours,
Albert

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

While I believe your points are sound and I do agree with them, I voted no for the time being. The reason being is that this is still a relatively small forum and think mods will be needed once the forums grows a bit more. On the other hand a mod or two could be beneficial at this time in light of recent incidents... Either way I stand by my vote.

D

Deleted member 8382

I've just added a line in the first post. I don't think someone with 40 posts and that has been here for a week can judge properly. I didn't open this in the vets section because there's people with 500 posts or less which I consider that have the right to vote, but not to see a "baby" voting on this.

I already gave my opinion about "babies" voting on important decision.

@Rob: You for sure have seen almost nothing here, take no offense but understand my point please. All respects.

D

Deleted member 8382

I say we should have mods BUT they should only be post mods able to delete/lock/edit threads and not be able to banish people. Reason for this is that I believe having 3 or 4 post mods will be able to control the troll fests and flame wars that have been going without the risk of people being banned because of personal vendettas which happened before. If anyone needs to be banned, people will make their cases to the mods who will investigate and come to a conclusion which will presented to c0ld who will have the last say. This means c0ld does not have to waste his time trying to investigate it himself and means there is less chance of mod abuse of power.
EXACTLY. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jaseth

I think 2007Revolution has got it completely correct - The mods should not be able to ban, but they can control threads to minimize fighting and if they tell c0ld to ban someone, it is almost 100% certain it will happen. If we have 3-4 mods then the risk of them all agreeing to ask c0ld to ban someone for non-legitimate reasons is slim to none.
I think it is possible to create a disclaimer and mod-contract which would prevent c0ld from getting in trouble like when there were mods last time.

C0ld has been doing a great job but he is only human - he cannot sit and look at everything that goes on all day. The forum should not be a full-time job for him.

Seb

I voted no as I would hate to see the power go to people's heads take you post for example only allowing people with high post counts, They guy is still member of the forum his account may have only be created a week ago but what's to say that he wasn't here long before that reading ? you got no idea but instead you just automatic assume that since he isn't spamming the forum ever day with 1 line answers and his post count isn't high enough he doesn't understand.
I think the current system is fine instead the members them self's need to change, in the event with DAoO the people that noticed him scamming should have put a long e mail together and e mailed to cold with every detail in it and then start a poll and if enough people hated him or he did scam people out of a lot of money cold would remove him right then.
also the current system could be reworked as revolution said have a few trusted people that can evaluate a member and also send their findings to cold as this will make less work for him, but that’s about all they can do except lock a post no delegating or editing as I believe that stuff should be there for all to see and be kept as evidence
In my opinion you have not been here long enough, and were not here when we had bad moderator abuse which is what caused a majority of our veterans lasers people leave.

Last edited:

Edit: I think my idea would have worked well even in the situation with DAOO, the post mods could have locked/deleted all his sale threads while it was investigated, preventing anyone else from bieng scammed while the evidence was collected and presented to c0ld.
Until you posted it... it is exactly what I was about to post

Right on the money...

With this strategy... C0ld will still have the last word... and
the LPF members can still have access to C0ld in case a
Moderator gets out of line...:cool:

Jerry

D

Deleted member 8382

I voted no as I would hate to see the power go to people's heads take you post for example only allowing people with high post counts, They guy is still member of the forum his account may have only be created a week ago but what's to say that he wasn't here long before that reading ? you got no idea but instead you just automatic assume that since he isn't spamming the forum ever day with 1 line answers and his post count isn't high enough he doesn't understand.

If you are really defending that a guy that has been here for a week has enough criteria to decide about the forum administration then I just can't agree with you.

I'm not deciding anything else than recommending new members to stay apart. It makes full sense for me. As I said him via PM, how about that I come on holidays to your country and vote to elect the president. Not fair right? It's just the same for me.

I voted no as I would hate to see the power go to people's heads take you post for example only allowing people with high post counts

I never said that. Note how I opened the thread here to allow people like you (who in fact are a veteran despite of what your post count says) can vote. All I said is that someone that has been here for one week don't have enough criteria to vote. I hope you understand my point.

I like the representation idea. We should consider having a Moderator Poll, as an election of some sort. We could have terms be one month long, and then have another election.

Its just idea, and I have no clue as to how well it would actually work.

The short term of moderation would perhaps act of a check and balance of power.

I agree with you guys though, no power to ban. Just enough power to control the situation, not the people.

If you are really defending that a guy that has been here for a week has enough criteria to decide about the forum administration then I just can't agree with you.

I'm not deciding anything else than recommending new members to stay apart. It makes full sense for me. As I said him via PM, how about that I come on holidays to your country and vote to elect the president. Not fair right? It's just the same for me.

I never said that. Note how I opened the thread here to allow people like you (who in fact are a veteran despite of what your post count says) can vote. All I said is that someone that has been here for one week don't have enough criteria to vote. I hope you understand my point.

I am not defending the guy but only making a point of what happened last time the moderators assumed too much and too many post got edited/deleted and too many people got banned. Like every time you said something good about wicked lasers it turned out your post got deleted.
but I do agree with you in the same since that new members should stay out of it but they can still have a same say in it like what's to say this guy isn't a guy transferring from another forum who had the exact same problem and has tiring to warn us what would happen? You just don’t know yet and tats also do to the fact he hasn’t posted enough. And I agree with your pm their also.
Yep understand your point now as I did before I was just making my own point that I hope you understand as I am not trying to make you upset or anything or calling you out I am just letting you know what happened.

I think the current system is fine instead the members them self's need to change, in the event with DAoO the people that noticed him scamming should have put a long e mail together and e mailed to cold with every detail in it and then start a poll and if enough people hated him or he did scam people out of a lot of money cold would remove him right then.

also the current system could be reworked as revolution said have a few trusted people that can evaluate a member and also send their findings to cold as this will make less work for him, but that’s about all they can do except lock a post no delegating or editing as I believe that stuff should be there for all to see and be kept as evidence
In my opinion you have not been here long enough, and were not here when we had bad moderator abuse which is what caused a majority of our veterans lasers people leave.

Hey F22...

you need to make up your mind before posting...

Here you disagree to have moderators

and here you agree.....:thinking:

I was not here when the "bad moderator abuse" happened....
Are you saying that I have not been here long enough and
my post count is irrelevant....:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

jayrob

I read somewhere that Avery has already scheduled an appointment with his lawyer to check into using mods...

So he is already considering it seriously, but just needs to get some questions answered.

D

Deleted member 8382

I am not defending the guy but only making a point of what happened last time the moderators assumed too much and too many post got edited/deleted and too many people got banned. Like every time you said something good about wicked lasers it turned out your post got deleted.
but I do agree with you in the same since that new members should stay out of it but they can still have a same say in it like what's to say this guy isn't a guy transferring from another forum who had the exact same problem and has tiring to warn us what would happen? You just don’t know yet and tats also do to the fact he hasn’t posted enough. And I agree with your pm their also.
Yep understand your point now as I did before I was just making my own point that I hope you understand as I am not trying to make you upset or anything or calling you out I am just letting you know what happened.
Okay ;)

But as I expressed on my post, the moderator wouldn't be a god, he would just "representate" the community. We would choose him/them, so in case he was doing bad he would get kicked. Democracy guys, democracy!