Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

do we need the reputation system after the move?

Do we want the Reputation system in the new style?

• Yes, everyone needs to know who the scoundrels are!

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • No, was just a opportunity to play favorites and served no purpose.

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters
I found the old LPF Rep system useful when dealing with a member...
without me having to ask noob questions on the Forum about member's
past dealings and reputation... It's helped me numerous times..
But you need to read the coments........

It's not the numbers that are important... but the comments left...

Jerry

Completely agreed. Without the ability to publicly see the reasons for rep and who posted them, it is worse than useless. With these abilities, it is a great system and should very much stay in place.

shadowvale: Please change the rep system to the old ways if possible. If not, it is no longer helpful or needed...

-Mark

My only comment is one that has been stated previously: that the rep system is at it's highest importance on forums like this one were money transactions routinely take place as opposed to other forums without money transactions where a rep system isn't so important. To clarify, by saying this I am not insinuating in any way that rep is the "most important feature on a forum".. It keeps people honest, and protects everyone.

Last edited:
+1 for an excellent poll question!

I saw at least 100 people that had higher rep points than me, i'll leave it at that.

This is laserman532 (using my old name Diode_virgin) because I havent figured out how to re load my avitar or change my name. I tried to load avitar and got message "file could not upload" may be that is why my rep points are so low.

+1 for an excellent poll question!

I saw at least 100 people that had higher rep points than me, i'll leave it at that.

This is laserman532 (using my old name Diode_virgin) because I havent figured out how to re load my avitar or change my name. I tried to load avitar and got message "file could not upload" may be that is why my rep points are so low.

hey I got my avitar back...whoops wrong avitar. now how do I change my name back to laserman532

+1 for figuring out avitar!

D

Deleted member 8382

REPUTATION PLEASE, it's the most important feature on a forum

ixfd64

The reputation system can be pretty useful when you're buying or selling stuff. A person with a lot of reputation is unlikely to be a scammer.

diachi

I think it's pretty much useless to have a rep system ...

I mean look what happened over at the old forums, rep was power basically. Some people abused it a little, others respected it.

They seem to do fine over at PL without all these rep shenanigans :)

I'd like the old rep system back. The current one is not as useful. I have read why people have received rep and it weeds out those who just sold plenty of items.

I think either that or just make it like the typical forum where "rep" is based on one's own opinion. I don't need to see the 50 or so Kenom had to know from reading his posts that he knew his stuff. Same for many others. Just using Kenom as an example because he posted first.

What is needed is rep only for the buy/sell/trade section, I agree with that idea. Selling should be limited to those who have at least 50 posts that's another good idea. Longtime posters are a safer bet as bad deals will be known.

Last edited:
I believe that we should keep the rep system running. THe only time I think we should get rid of it, is when it gets abused.

Kenom

has anyone else had any luck in finding out how to view a persons rep?

I can't really tell what kind of rhyme or reason the rep system here has. it seems that some people with a rep power of 1 "will be famous soon enough", and others with higher rep powers "are on distinguished roads". The rep power does not always match the phrase that comes up when you hover on the little green squares. It's all very confusing.

also you have people like scopeguy daguin hemlock mike laserbee kenom bootleg2go and many others who actually go above and beyond
thier transactions and give more than whats asked ..to me thats a + rep every time

Kenom above is a great example. He has a rep power of 6. When you hover over his green square, it says he's on a distinguished road. I have a rep power of 1, but when you hover over my green square it says that "elektrofreak will be famous soon enough". This is weird to me since Kenom has WAY more rep than I do. The phrases seem to go in this order: distingushed road, famous soon enough, radiant aura, etc. If that's the order, then what rep power determines what description? How do we read the reps? No one knows, and it's giving me a headache jsut trying to figure it out. While I support a rep system of some sort, I'm not sure that it's worth the confusion and in some cases arguing that has been going on..

I think that the contributions of a member should be worth more than how many friends they have - even now, you can see that some people have got plenty of rep, whilst most have little to none. In the day or so of the new system, those people have almost defnitely not helped out ten times as much than us mere mortals. So this is my vote against the rep system as it is now, and how it was before.

However, if it were either confined to confirmed trades only, or had a "tradesman" and "informant" sub-category (probably too complicated in practice) then we would all get a better indication of a member, and what they provide. In fact, if this were possible, we could have a third "honeypot"/"For the Lulz" category, which is where all spam reps, junk/friendship reps or rep for a funny post can go. That way people can get an accurate indication of what a person is actually like.

Oh, and there should be no lower limit on the number of posts needed to give rep - this unfairly restricts PHR sellers from getting posts, since about half of the people buying PHRs had less than 50 posts! It should be obvious to anyone reading the rep when it has been as a result of spam accounts.

Geee, since moving to the new forum style, I have no rep points, all mine got washed away, I use to be someone now Im just some fat chick wolfin cake.

I say, cancel the rep point system as it is flawed, i have seen people get rep points for being funny, writing raps, having cute pets and so forth. PL does not have a rep system, If you are a jerk you get called out publicly and privately by senior members and chastised publicly. Which tends to send the trolls away quickly keeping only quality members. If you are a GURU you get kudos publicly and orders privately and innovation and cooperation flourish. Generally speaking the more post you have...the more you have contributed, which to me speaks volumes. I have had people PM me and say Ill give you one if you give me one...well frankly BIOTCH, I for one cant be bought.

The point system has little bearing on the knowledge base or the level of contributions of the individual ...perse'...it merely strokes the egos of which most of ours is way inflated already. (myself included)

The people who lurk a lot know the story. The newbs need to lurk moar.

PS- could someone PM me to tell me how to change my posted name back to laserman532, then I will change my avitar back to my former glorified self. Because I am a zero...DAMN my father was right! Im a laser guy, not a computer geek.