Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I destroy the CCD in the camera if i shine directly in to it?

I will photograph a direkt hit of my lasers, so I wondered if the lasers will destroy the CCD in my camera? But I've thougt to use my old camera from 1999. Will start with the small red lasers, then the green and at last the blue. Will present the result here!

But I have to buy batteries first.

Depends on the focus. I bombarded a CCD with about 120mW of 405nm and it didn't do a thing. That was without a camera lens, however.

My Samsung camera has CCD burns from when I was working on a very low powered lasershow scanner setup (about 70mW) So the answer is a definite yes.

I was not happy when I found the CCD burns :(

Any one have suggestions to keep your camera in good condition when viewing and recording lasers??

( I use mine to see if inferred LD are working, and to set them up.)

Depends on the camera and the power. But yes shining a laser directly into your camera absolutely has the possibility of destroying your CCD.

In order to take pictures of your laser a common practice is to cover your lense with a spare set of safety goggles. Some members have obtained the same material from the manufacture and created an attachment for their camera.

But that's the only way I know of to protect your camera from a direct hit.

Benm

The obvious protection is not hitting it, obviously. If you want to photograph or video a show, run it with the lens cap on first and check that it doesnt get any direct hits.

Covering it with goggles or the same material works if you want to show something burning, but otherwise it will mostly block the laser out and you won't see a thing :D

Thanks all for answers!

I will use my old camera, I thougt to throw it away. But now I have a good purpose to keep it!

The obvious protection is not hitting it, obviously. If you want to photograph or video a show, run it with the lens cap on first and check that it doesnt get any direct hits.

Covering it with goggles or the same material works if you want to show something burning, but otherwise it will mostly block the laser out and you won't see a thing :D

Ya, using goggles or something similar will block the beam so you only see the dot. But i'm not sure taking a shot without a lense will be any better, as you will see the flare up of the laser just before you fry your CCD :).

Yes! But you can easily protect the sensor by just placing a small piece of a CD in front of the camera lens - if this is not enough - try with one of these ugly "solar eclipse" protection googles. You can even stack them...

I've used such a setup successfully to check the focused beam profile of an 2W IR beam.

mo

Well my cell camera has a small blue line from my 402nm 5mw ebay laser, this was done after seeing this thread and wondering if it would do damage, sure as hell did.

Its the purple bit, tempted to use my 200mw red but dont want to destroy the camera.

402nm? The usual 405nm "5mW" are way overpowered, in tens of mW.

Benm

Well my cell camera has a small blue line from my 402nm 5mw ebay laser, this was done after seeing this thread and wondering if it would do damage, sure as hell did.

Its the purple bit, tempted to use my 200mw red but dont want to destroy the camera.

It seems you already did destroy the camera, right? :D

I don't think it will easily completely destroy the sensor though, laser hits usually result in blobs or lines of dead pixels.

As for the power required to do damage: I'm not quite sure how much is safe. Even a real 5 mW might do some damage, considering to what a fine point the camera optics will focus it on the sensor.

I meant 405nm :p but it did do a bit of damage. If I could find the charger for my old phone I could test out a 200mw red on it.