Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DLP projectors having laser diodes extracted.

djnbig

I'm seeing dozens and dozens of for sale listings for these diodes that have been extracted from brand new DLP projectors, some guys stating they have hundreds in stock. My question is where are these brand new projectors coming from for their lasers to be extracted?? Just curious of course.

Djn

djnbig

im not looking to buy, what i want to know is how people are getting these lasers from projectors that cost over $500usd after which the projectors useless .

how, ?

ped

im not looking to buy, what i want to know is how people are getting these lasers from projectors that cost over $500usd after which the projectors useless .

how, ?

Yes, the diodes go for *roughly* $45 ea

there are 24 of them in the projector, so 24 x $45 = $1080

Simple.

how, ?

We just like the lasers... we could give a crap about the projectors. Although they are full of some neat optical doodads that can be used along with the lasers we extract form them..

Last edited:

djnbig

Thanks for the info, now everything makes sense. I was under the impression the projectors contained 1 diode, no clue they had 24 of them.. :D

Djn

Yes, the diodes go for *roughly* $45 ea

there are 24 of them in the projector, so 24 x $45 = $1080

Simple.

This may have been said/asked before but why is it that we cant say the C word yet list the model number?

HIMNL9

This may have been said/asked before but why is it that we cant say the C word yet list the model number?

Cause, probably, the name of the company is a trademark brand (and they can legally ask you to not use it, for this reason), where instead a letter and number sequence like A140 (as example) is NOT a trademark (nor can be recorded as trademark legally), nor is directly and uniquely binded with the name of the company (cause anyone can use the same letter and number sequence for define anything), so there is no legal issues saying them .....

Just my half cent :p

I think there is a market for someone with color blindness in the blue spectrum

buy one of these projectors for cheep and not notice the picture difference!

Cause, probably, the name of the company is a trademark brand (and they can legally ask you to not use it, for this reason), where instead a letter and number sequence like A140 (as example) is NOT a trademark (nor can be recorded as trademark legally), nor is directly and uniquely binded with the name of the company (cause anyone can use the same letter and number sequence for define anything), so there is no legal issues saying them .....

Just my half cent :p

They can't come after you for just using the name. People "talk" about the iPod all the time...You just can't commercially sell a product name the same as theirs(name)...I think the issue was since people were openly buying the projectors with the sole purpose of parting them out, then they were "reselling them" and if your going to officially do that, then there are some legal parameters the trademark owning company can persue.

But of the projector was "Used" first or broken, and you cracked it open for the parts, I don't think it would really be considered commercially reselling. You just have to make sure you don't do it on a large scale.

HIMNL9

They can't come after you for just using the name. People "talk" about the iPod all the time...You just can't commercially sell a product name the same as theirs(name)...I think the issue was since people were openly buying the projectors with the sole purpose of parting them out, then they were "reselling them" and if your going to officially do that, then there are some legal parameters the trademark owning company can persue.

But of the projector was "Used" first or broken, and you cracked it open for the parts, I don't think it would really be considered commercially reselling. You just have to make sure you don't do it on a large scale.

No, they don't complain about the selling of different products with their name (and, after all, peoples that talk about "i-cr*ps" :p makes Apple happy, so that is different :p) ..... they usually complains (and it's clearly an excuse that anyone can see how false it is, except maybe a (paid) judge :p), that using their brand name related to the action of dismantle their products for take out "dangerous" components is a "bad advertisement" for the company, and cause millions of dollars of damage for "loss of the image", and similar bullsh*ts .... but, until they can found judges that care more about their interests than about the freedom and the truth, they will probably obtain some results also spreading similar bullsh*ts all around in a tribunal ..... and after all, also just the risk of a legal cause is too much, for a person that run a forum like this as private, so it's always better to try to avoid any problem for c0ld, related to this thing ..... and cause the better way for avoid him problems is simply not using that brand name, what's more easy to just not use it ? ..... ;) .

No, they don't complain about the selling of different products with their name (and, after all, peoples that talk about "i-cr*ps" :p makes Apple happy, so that is different :p) ..... they usually complains (and it's clearly an excuse that anyone can see how false it is, except maybe a (paid) judge :p), that using their brand name related to the action of dismantle their products for take out "dangerous" components is a "bad advertisement" for the company, and cause millions of dollars of damage for "loss of the image", and similar bullsh*ts .... but, until they can found judges that care more about their interests than about the freedom and the truth, they will probably obtain some results also spreading similar bullsh*ts all around in a tribunal ..... and after all, also just the risk of a legal cause is too much, for a person that run a forum like this as private, so it's always better to try to avoid any problem for c0ld, related to this thing ..... and cause the better way for avoid him problems is simply not using that brand name, what's more easy to just not use it ? ..... ;) .

Even if the courts didn't care, we don't want these companies taking matters into their own hands and potting their components or building the diode directly into the heatsink or something of that nature. The less problems we cause for them, the less problems they'll cause for us.

We just like the lasers... we could give a crap about the projectors. Although they are full of some neat optical doodads that can be used along with the lasers we extract form them..

Even if the courts didn't care, we don't want these companies taking matters into their own hands and potting their components or building the diode directly into the heatsink or something of that nature. The less problems we cause for them, the less problems they'll cause for us.

@Elektro - What sort of things can we do with the projector? I just harvested one and I don't want to just throw it away. Would there be a market for the parts, or can I do something worthwhile with them?

@BB - I agree! We don't rock their boat and they won't rock ours.

Everyone sing!
Its a small world after all, its a small world after all.
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle: