Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DJNY LaserGlow ELectra ~1W of 405nm Goodness Now "Gift"

Yeah I am using a 405-G-1.
I've built at least 4 12X lasers - some with the S06J and some with the SF-BW510 (IIRC) and they all have been about the same with the exception of the first 12X I built. I think it produced about 480mW at ~375mA with 405-G-1.
I wouldn't mind so much if I used bigger hosts but I like to use pen hosts and my current 12X is in a "pocket mini" so the extra current means extra heat and shorter continuous run time.

Seeing threads like these just remind me of how below average my poor laser is. :(

What is the forward voltage at ~600mA for your laser?

Iam a Sucker for big Host.:p They're my Favorite. However I most recently started to get into pen styles.:) I always like them. SO I conceder this pen a beefy one.

The heatsink in this was Re done. Well I keeped the original design of it but add some copper to it to beef it up.

I dint test the forward voltage.:( Ill find out for you though as Iam Building another High power one in another host for someone so I will be able to get that info for you.

I will update this thread for you when i get it.:)

Last edited:

Amazing work as usual. :wave:

Beautiful beam color. Your camera picked it up nicely. Does it get hot quick?

OMG! Man you are Crazy! It's incredible awesome!

I Know.:D

J/k

Amazing work as usual. :wave:

Beautiful beam color. Your camera picked it up nicely. Does it get hot quick?

:) Yea it did. Its almost exactly like seeing it live. This camera never shows it this good.

TO be Honest no it does not get hot. I never leave it on that long. I think its the momentary that does it.:) Iam sure the Extra copper running up the top half of the host really helps alot.

But it does get warm ~ 1 minute though.

+1 Really nice!

Im currently deciding whether to build a high power 405...I know the recommended current is around 450 mA, but here you managed to push it to 607 mA! So what would be the best way, without killing the diode, to test if it can handle the current? With 445's and mits 300/500 they are tough and one can simply crank up the current on a PSU until they start to dim, but these are much more sensitive.....:thinking:any suggestions? :beer:

That is a fantastic laser! I don't think I ever saw a 405nm beam quite like that, it looks incredible.

But can it light a match :na:

+1 Really nice!

Im currently deciding whether to build a high power 405...I know the recommended current is around 450 mA, but here you managed to push it to 607 mA! So what would be the best way, without killing the diode, to test if it can handle the current? With 445's and mits 300/500 they are tough and one can simply crank up the current on a PSU until they start to dim, but these are much more sensitive.....:thinking:any suggestions? :beer:

Just got off work.;)

Ive Pushed Quit a Few to say the least. I always try new things rather then Fallow or wait for other to test first. Ive lost many diodes just to Experiment. Its just part of the Experience and i get when figuring stuff out on my own.

So with that said there really is NO safe way to test a diode. Its either going to take the currant or not.

However since i have tested and binned quit a few of these diodes i can give you an estimate to what "I" Conceder efficient.

If at 500mA with a G1/G2 lens your 12x S06J is doing >850mW Then you got yourself one Efficient Bad a$$ diode.:drool:. Or if its >800mW at 500mA i would still say its efficient.

So basically what iam saying is there really is no point on turning up the currant if at 500mA your not getting a Higher Power reading. Although some diodes will be more efficient say at 500mA but not at 600mA

That is a fantastic laser! I don't think I ever saw a 405nm beam quite like that, it looks incredible.

But can it light a match :na:

LOL. It can catch a Match on Fire rather then Light it.:p

Ive Pushed Quit a Few to say the least. I always try new things rather then Fallow or wait for other to test first. Ive lost many diodes just to Experiment. Its just part of the Experience and i get when figuring stuff out on my own.

So with that said there really is NO safe way to test a diode. Its either going to take the currant or not.

However since i have tested and binned quit a few of these diodes i can give you an estimate to what "I" Conceder efficient.

If at 500mA with a G1/G2 lens your 12x S06J is doing >850mW Then you got yourself one Efficient Bad a$$ diode.:drool:. Or if its >800mW at 500mA i would still say its efficient.

So basically what iam saying is there really is no point on turning up the currant if at 500mA your not getting a Higher Power reading. Although some diodes will be more efficient say at 500mA but not at 600mA

Great :thanks: for the info!:beer:

When I first saw this I thought you had somehow modified an Electra to produce 1 W using the original diode. Never before had I seen a warranty so void in my life!

Then I realized you changed the diode out. You did a very nice job, it looks brand new! That's also an insane amount of power for a pen-sized host. Very cool!

When I first saw this I thought you had somehow modified an Electra to produce 1 W using the original diode. Never before had I seen a warranty so void in my life!

:crackup: Clearly you never worked in a retail electronics department.

I did for one summer....

Had a guy bring in an xbox that was both wet, and crushed.

TV's with cracked screens.

Best ever was a completely demolished camcorder... it was run over. There was a tire imprint visible on one part of plastic:shhh:

She said it was sold to her as a "rugged" camera and it just fell apart when she dropped it :banghead:

By comparison this is nothing.

Okay, okay, perhaps I was exaggerating a bit. I've seen my share of WTF customers. One guy sent us back an Aries in the form of 15 pieces in a zip-lock bag. He demanded we repair it under warranty because his son took it apart. The best is when they disassemble their laser, breaking all the components inside, then glue it back together (with hot glue) and try to return it for a refund.

I could make a whole thread about crazy Laserglow customers. Like the guy who wanted to use lasers to communicate with aliens, or the guy who wanted to use lasers to explode lightbulbs in his neighbors house. Or the guy who mounted his laser onto a spinning wheel in order to teleport cats.

Last edited:

jordan

Lol. Nice stories on the second page :p

In regards to the laser... NICE! What type of camera set up did you use to capture the beam so well?

DJNY

Incredible what you´ve done to this one :beer:

Your cam is picking up the 405nm very well!

DJNY

Sorry for the bump, but can´t get enough from this vid :)

I´sure there´re people out the who haven´t and would love to see that too :beer: