Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY waterproof laser?

Ash

For sure. Hopefully some underwater beam shots too.

You have to stick to the greenies for now...There is no way in the formentioned
host to adjust for the red/blue diodes...Been there tried it. You will allways be takin it apart
trying to adjust the lens. Sorry, I know you could find a work around, but how sloppy would that be, who knows?.

Ash

You have to stick to the greenies for now...There is no way in the formentioned
host to adjust for the red/blue diodes...Been there tried it. You will allways be takin it apart
trying to adjust the lens. Sorry, I know you could find a work around, but how sloppy would that be, who knows?.
You're talking about the host in the first post, right? :thinking:
I'm sure I can get a bluray module in one of the rayfoss hosts. :p

You're talking about the host in the first post, right?
I'm sure I can get a bluray module in one of the rayfoss hosts. :p

In any waterproof unit if u use the adjustable lens how are u going to adjust it in the waterproof housing. I know you be able to get it in there.
:thinking:

Ash

In any waterproof unit if u use the adjustable lens how are u going to adjust it in the waterproof housing. I know you be able to get it in there.
:thinking:
Well, on those hosts, it's very easy to screw off the head to get access to the module where the focusing ring will be. Then just screw it back on and it's water-tight. :D

Well, on those hosts, it's very easy to screw off the head to get access to the module where the focusing ring will be. Then just screw it back on and it's water-tight

Yea, thats going to be a pain in the arsh when you put a burning as in need of focus in there... stick w/ a high power greenie I have piped dream this senario for for a year or so now.

Ash

Yea, thats going to be a pain in the arsh when you put a burning as in need of focus in there... stick w/ a high power greenie I have piped dream this senario for for a year or so now.
Well. Perhaps, you are not smoking the right things in your pipe. :tsk:
Because, I just had this pipe dream a week or so ago, and it seems to be working fine for me. :whistle:
Hmm,... I just tried it... Four counter-clockwise twists to get access to the focusing ring is such a bear. Ouch! My fingers hurt. :yabbem:
[/sarchasm]

Thats going to work real good underwater or in a puddle or fish bowl or in a rain shower... [/sarcasim] go ahead and build your 405nm or pay someone to do it then
yea... subject it to the elements for one second of lasing a target then another then another.

PS they don't call it dope for nothing.;)

Ash

Thats going to work real good underwater or in a puddle or fish bowl or in a rain shower... [/sarcasim] go ahead and build your 405nm or pay someone to do it then
yea... subject it to the elements for one second of lasing a target then another then another.

PS they don't call it dope for nothing.;)
Yes. As a matter of fact, it will work very well in a rain shower or fish bowl, or underwater. :D And, why should it matter how many targets I "Lase". I was almost positive that burning shit with my laser does not damage the laser itself.
Um,... I already have a few of these lasers (532nm) that are totally waterproof. I don't see how putting a 405nm >100mW module in them is going to make them any less waterproof. Or, am I missing something. :thinking:

Attachments

• P1010523.JPG
    P1010523.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 171
  • P1010525.JPG
    P1010525.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 133
What I'm trying to say...hold on, is, that the frequency(the amount of times) that you would need to focus the unit would out weight it's need to be water proof. You pull it out... focus it... point it at something else... focus it... point it at something else... focus it.

You could set it at infinity leave it there, but lase something close then
no focus for burn you would have to take it apart and that is not the most convenient process if anything over time you'll wear out the threads.

Sure its going to look cool the host already does, but for it to be a focusing waterproof 405mn you'll need to engineer the head to be waterproof and focusable.

It can be done and more power to you I never intended to chafe you I'm just stating my experience in this topic.

as you know this process is eliminated w/ the use of a green module.
work it out make one I'll buy a host from you vise versa I'll make someday
and show it to ya... hope I'm clear on this again I wasn't intent on chafing
you. Have a good day Jander6442.

Ash

What I'm trying to say...hold on, is, that the frequency(the amount of times) that you would need to focus the unit would out weight it's need to be water proof. You pull it out... focus it... point it at something else... focus it... point it at something else... focus it.

You could set it at infinity leave it there, but lase something close then
no focus for burn you would have to take it apart and that is not the most convenient process if anything over time you'll wear out the threads.

Sure its going to look cool the host already does, but for it to be a focusing waterproof 405mn you'll need to engineer the head to be waterproof and focusable.

It can be done and more power to you I never intended to chafe you I'm just stating my experience in this topic.

as you know this process is eliminated w/ the use of a green module.
work it out make one I'll buy a host from you vise versa I'll make someday
and show it to ya... hope I'm clear on this again I wasn't intent on chafing
you. Have a good day Jander6442.
Oh. Thanks for the clarification Jander6442. I totally didn't get it at first. :whistle:
You are completely correct, if I were to be focusing it at different distances in the rain, I would need a different host. But, I simply want to point at coral reefs while snorkeling (they light up like crazy). And, I can easily just take the front off and focus as many times as I want when there is no need for waterproofness (like 99% of the time).
BTW. Rayfoss just came out with a waterproof focusable bluray:
Rayfoss
Oh well. :tired:

Another safety thing I'd like to point out: you should never use a laser out in the rain. I've heard many times about people who have gotten eye damage from reflections off the drops... There was even that laser show that one time that was aimed at the sky, when it started raining, and many people got eye damage.

That's not to hard is it? Just use a collimating lens for the water cover.

Last edited: