Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY:My 1st build, a 1.5W labby for ~60$

vk2fro

Stand well back, grab a a spray can, and let the laser cook it. (flash powder is optional)

Just kidding, but superheating some thermite (outside!!!!) could be fun :)

vk2fro

I didnt even need to click the link - my first 150mw labby had a missile switch on it! :)

"ok you asked for it. Going weapons hot.... banking left..... i have him in sight. request permission to engage the target...." ;)

lol DIE! stupid slow old floppy :p

:D I'm wondering what happened to the wall, behind it, after the laser burned thru the floppy. :D

I never thought to use an old psu case, this could be the perfect host for the C-mount 5watt diodes,
or even the TO3 case.

There's lots of room in there for heat-sinks and power boards. :)

Last edited:

benmwv

I have one suggestion, buy an extra charger (7.2 volt one) and take it apart then solder wires to the output and hook it up to your batteries inside and just leave the cord sticking out of the psu so you can plug it up to charge. Thne it would be just like a normal labby but you can just "go mobile" and unplug it and take it wherever.

vk2fro

Also, line up a bunch of those floppies, and time how long your labby takes to burn through them. Someone did this with a pile of CD cases, but floppies are harder to burn (they're twice as thick) :)

vk2fro, i get the impression you like floppies quite a bit. I'll trade a few of mine for a PHR sled. :)

alf638

Nice build, since I saw it a while ago i've had the (possibly), crazy idea to make a set of these 1W PSU's in as many colours as I can. I just realy like lab style lasers and these just look so cool:drool:.

Stand well back, grab a a spray can, and let the laser cook it. (flash powder is optional)

Just kidding, but superheating some thermite (outside!!!!) could be fun :)
No flash powder here, it's near impossible to get any potassium perchlorate in Australia (as i'm sure you know), bloody government.;)

vk2fro

put a white fusion kit in there and you can have several colours in the one box :)

anselm

vk2fro said:
put a white fusion kit in there
I'd absolutely love too, I thought they were not being made anymore...
That's Flaminpyro who is/was taking care of those, right?

As for now, I got me a big ole 25Ohm potentiometer (tuned with an extra ~4ohm parallel) wired on top of that other mess in there.
Makes the current adjusting oh so much easier and more fun!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/video-raw-output-blue-nichia-diode-60488.html

Still thinking about some status leds, but for that plus the fan it should better
have a dedicated battery.
buy an extra charger (7.2 volt one) and take it apart then solder wires to the output and hook it up to your batteries inside and just leave the cord sticking out of the psu so you can plug it up to charge.
Instead of cramming in more weight and circuit's, I might just install a female power socket, so I can
run it off any 1.5A wall transformer when at home...

Last edited:

anselm

:wave::wave:
Wow, this thread has gotten quite the numbers of views!:eek::D

Anyways, it's been a few weeks and I wouldn't want to withhold the latest "upgrades"
I've been cramming into my little tinkerbox.

First of all, it now has a 25Ohm potentiometer so I can go all "smooth operator" on
the the current adjustments. Very nice!
gedc0523.jpg

It's getting a little crowded in here! I wonder how this spark-magnet doesn't short out itself randomly.:shhh:
gedc0525.jpg

A second LM317 in parallel, for that extra oomph:eg:
One is adjusted by 3 of the DIP-switches, the other by that 25Ohm potentiometer which has been tuned with ~4Ohm in parallel and ~0.6Ohm in series.
gedc0524v.jpg

Can I haz, plz: tripod mount, active cooling and power-on LED (just in case you miss the other blue light);)
gedc0527b.jpg

No, I don't yet have a thermostat switch for the fan, it's boringly manual on/off.:p
I have yet to perform a relentless high current torture, but preliminary empiric data
suggests a cooling effect of promising proportions.:D

The next problem now is, 2x18650 is not enough voltage to consistently
push more than ~1.5A for any period of time greater than just a few minutes.:undecided:
So instead of putting a 3rd battery in series, I'll put another pair in parallel.:evil:
That should even out the load and generally just provide better autonomy as well.

Eventually:
-When I'm happy with the internals (yeah, one day when a pig grows wings:rolleyes:)
it will get a nice, intact "bonnet/hood" with a bigger heatsink as well.
-Also I'm likely to shamelessly steal Markus' idea with the meter.:bowdown:
Although I'm just gonna gut an extra 5$ multimeter I have lying around, slacking off.:D

Last edited:
When you talk about "labby for $60" it attracts many viewers :shhh:
good build tho :beer: ;)

anselm

Yeah, well that was the first version, by now it's gone a bit over that initial budget:D:D
I guess this one is the version 1.9(beta).
Everybody knows upgrades cost money.:whistle:
Maybe shoulda change that title...:p