Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diy laser. Please help

artix

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=artix link=1213219369/24#27 date=1213414758][quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1213219369/24#26 date=1213407432][quote author=artix link=1213219369/24#25 date=1213395321]this big

1+3+3=7 <---tiny heat sink! lol
That project box is 8 inches in length!?! :eek:[/quote]

is that too big? there are other ones...[/quote]
Thats pretty big... unless you are doing some serious circuitry.
5 inches is more than enough.[/quote]

the last period is a link...

your laser looks very cool!

A slightly unusual project box here http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G12803 that would suit a red laser :)

I have looked on ebay, there are loads of possibilities in the UK, there must be some in the US as well.

Can I suggest that when you know all of the components you are going to use draw them to scale and cut them out, then you can move them around to get an idea of how small you can go with the case....small is good ;)

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
A slightly unusual project box here http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G12803 that would suit a red laser :)

I have looked on ebay, there are loads of possibilities in the UK, there must be some in the US as well.

Can I suggest that when you know all of the components you are going to use draw them to scale and cut them out, then you can move them around to get an idea of how small you can go with the case....small is good ;)

Regards rog8811

Those types of boxes don't last long Rog the plastic hinges in the back break and the friction clip up front doesn't usually hold the box closed for long.

Those types of boxes don't last long Rog the plastic hinges in the back break

I did think about that, a couple of female threaded spacers, same dimension as the internal hieght of the box and screw through from the outside, top and bottom.
As long as you haven't broken the hinge before the guts are all installed it should be workable...... :)

The ABS ones with the screw down lids will always be first choice though.

Regards rog8811

artix

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
The 5x2.5x2 project box looks like a nice size if you're going to fit a large heatsink in it.

your right ! I think I should keep it big because I have absolutely no experience with building lasers! but I have done my research and Im using a relatively large laser heat sink

EDIT: My original project was to make a two diode laser with a total output of 400mw! The reason why I stopped was because I found out that the PBS cube costs $150!!! and Today I was surfing the internet and I found opotronics and THEY SELL PBS CUBES FOR ~$30!!!!!!! Obviously I want to make the two diode laser but Im not 100% sure what to do ???? And the large box would make room for both diodes.

P.S. at what ma do I not need a heat sink? just wondering...

do some searching / reading for the PBS cubes, there's been many topics on here on how to combine two lasers into one beam to get around 350-400mW power.

and your heat sink mA question doesn't really make that much sense, the heat sink helps dissipate heat from the diode to surround metal, so if you have a high power laser and only have it on for short periods of time it will be fine without a heat sink, or lower power diodes on for longer will be alright. if its a high power, such as ~200mW and + and you want to use it for more than about a minute you would want a heat sink.

rog8811 said:
@ Spyderz20x6, It also uses one of  the sharp near IR LD's that you were posting about some time ago, did you ever do anything with them?

Sorry for slight thread-jack Artix.........you can have it back in a mo..... :)

Regards rog8811
Yup, i modded it into a Dorcy Jr.
Lemme tell you, it's a fine burner.

artix

YAY!!! I just ordered all the parts last night! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

artix

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=Artix link=1213219369/36#42 date=1214422055]YAY!!! I just ordered all the parts last night! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
I'm sure you will do a great job![/quote]
Thanks!

Artix said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1213219369/36#43 date=1214437153][quote author=Artix link=1213219369/36#42 date=1214422055]YAY!!! I just ordered all the parts last night! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
I'm sure you will do a great job![/quote]
Thanks![/quote]
No problem ;)

artix

part list:

Senkat diode
RKCSTR driver
[highlight]Meredith collimator & mount [/highlight] They came second, I expected them to come first :p
[highlight]14500 lithium batteries & charger (from DX)[/highlight] first one to come! It's odd how DX was first... ::)
;D

now I need to go to the source(no radioshacks in canada  :'() and get a button, battery holder, wire, a box and a soldering iron!

ROFL!!! Im so excited!

Artix said:
part list:

Senkat diode
RKCSTR driver
Meredith collimator & mount
14500 lithium batteries & charger (from DX)
;D

now I need to go to the source(no radioshacks in canada  :'() and get a button, battery holder, wire, a box and a soldering iron!

ROFL!!! Im so excited!
I just finished a PHR-803T blu-ray laser, i will post pics soon.

By the way, if you are getting frustrated when soldering, drop the project, and come back later. Better safe than sorry ;)
When you solder, use flux, it makes life sooooo much easier!