Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diy laser. Please help

artix

I am planning to make a red DIY laser but I have a couple questions.[1] I have seen how to make a driver but I am going to buy this one. I want a fixed output driver but the numbers don't have units of measurement please tell me if it's mw or ma or if I should get the adjustable one. I was wondering how to connect it. I was thinking I just have to solder it to the power supply.[2] I have a pulsar and it uses 2 batteries but some people suggest using 4 batteries what would be the best ?  

lol changed name artix < Matthew

I looked at the driver you pointed to and under the fixed output units, It lists numerous current settings available.  38 mA to ~400 mA.   The one you select depends on your diode and how much power you want.

Reading on ----- It says that you need 5 volt input for a red. Do the math.
4 1.5 volt cells or a couple LiIon 3.6 volt should work.

Reading MORE -------- You solder the LD to the board.

Mike

artix

Hemlock Mike said:
I looked at the driver you pointed to and under the fixed output units, It lists numerous current settings available.  38 mA to ~400 mA.   The one you select depends on your diode and how much power you want.

Mike

i was thinking of 200mw and Im going to use a senkat diode

Looking at my curves and those of DrLava, 200 mW is a reasonable expectation for your project.  Look at the published curves to determine the current (mA) you want to buy for 200 mW with your diode.

Mike

artix

Hemlock Mike said:
Looking at my curves and those of DrLava, 200 mW is a reasonable expectation for your project.  Look at the published curves to determine the current (mA) you want to buy for 200 mW with your diode.

Mike
what curves?

chido

These curves:

1239JL.jpg

DrLavas660nmRoundup.jpg

Curves -- Data graphing mA vs mW output of red diodes.  DrLava and I have strived to provide this data for over a year so no one has to ask.
DrLava's last graph combines tons of data for most LD's into a single graph for all experimenters.  Treasure on LPF.

PS: Thank you Chido :)

artix

so 400ma it is ;D  o_0   and 250mw!

and I would only need the top half of an axiz module right?

chido

Mike tested the diode at 400mA for 14 hours without any problems, but I recommend you go for 350mA just to be safe. The diode should still output around 220mW. Unless you want to risk the life of the diode for an extra 25mW, that's your choice.
I recommend you use 2 rechargeable CR123 batteries, the driver should still work with two normal CR123s but the laser will have a longer runtime with the rechargeables.
You are going to need the back of the module, plus a big heatsink when running the diode at this current.

artix

chido said:
Mike tested the diode at 400mA for 14 hours without any problems, but I recommend you go for 350mA just to be safe. The diode should still output around 220mW. Unless you want to risk the life of the diode for an extra 25mW, that's your choice.
I recommend you use 2 rechargeable CR123 batteries, the driver should still work with two normal CR123s but the laser will have a longer runtime with the rechargeables.
You are going to need the back of the module, plus a big heatsink when running the diode at this current.

where can I get that heatsink? and get the CR123 battery holder?

chido

Get a chunk of aluminum, drill a hole through it so that the aixiz module has a tight fit, (tight enough that it needs to be pressed into the heatsink with a vise) or forget about having a tight fit and just drill a hole through it, then glue the module into the hole using thermal epoxy. And there you go, you now have a heatsink.

EDIT: As for the holder, just google it. :p

artix said:
I am planning to make a red DIY laser but I have a couple questions.[1] I have seen how to make a driver but I am going to buy this one. I want a fixed output driver but the numbers don't have units of measurement please tell me if it's mw or ma or if I should get the adjustable one. I was wondering how to connect it. I was thinking I just have to solder it to the power supply.[2] I have a pulsar and it uses 2 batteries but some people suggest using 4 batteries what would be the best ?  
Are you sure you don't want to use a small host? You could get the Micro FlexDrive from drlava. It will work with only 1 CR123A, but for effeciency, i recomend a rechargeable CR123A. Search around here for a suitable host. The lavadrives are adjustable, and you can ask drlava to ship it to you pre-set to 350mA.

artix

chido said:
Get a chunk of aluminum, drill a hole through it so that the aixiz module has a tight fit, (tight enough that it needs to be pressed into the heatsink with a vise) or forget about having a tight fit and just drill a hole through it, then glue the module into the hole using thermal epoxy. And there you go, you now have a heatsink.

EDIT: As for the holder, just google it. :p

your  ":p" is a HUGE understatement!!! I have searched on google "CR123 battery holder" an I haven't found anything like what Im looking for (radioshack style http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=battery holder&origkw=battery holder&sr=1)

artix

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=artix link=1213219369/0#0 date=1213219369]I am planning to make a red DIY laser but I have a couple questions.[1] I have seen how to make a driver but I am going to buy this one. I want a fixed output driver but the numbers don't have units of measurement please tell me if it's mw or ma or if I should get the adjustable one. I was wondering how to connect it. I was thinking I just have to solder it to the power supply.[2] I have a pulsar and it uses 2 batteries but some people suggest using 4 batteries what would be the best ?  
Are you sure you don't want to use a small host? You could get the Micro FlexDrive from drlava. It will work with only 1 CR123A, but for effeciency, i recomend a rechargeable CR123A. Search around here for a suitable host. The lavadrives are adjustable, and you can ask drlava to ship it to you pre-set to 350mA.[/quote]

Im fine with the rkcstr driver