Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Laser Cutter Project

HIMNL9

Re: My (16 month :D ) holiday project - DIY Laser Cutter

It look as a very good work, imho ... also looks more robust than the previous version, at least for that what i can see ... the only improvement that i can think looking at those pics, is to use optical switches or precision mechanical switches for the end-course, instead those lever switches, but this depend from the precision you need ... if the alignment precision is ok as 0,1 / 0,2 mm , then also these ones are ok, if you need more precision than 0,1mm, they are not constant enough as repetitivity ... but this is a personal choice ...

Things

Yes, I may swap them out for optical ones in the future, however when I need the repeatability on the same job, it'll already be "tuned" unless I turn it off to reset.

Unless of course I crash it into something and it loses steps - but if it does that, most likely the job is ruined anyway :D

HIMNL9

That's right :D

Anyway, regardless the switch that you decide to use, can i suggest to double them ?

I always done that in the machines i made, not for tthe precision, just for the safety ... i mean, the second switch is usually set 0.5 to 1mm over the end-course point ... it act as a sort of "anti-mangle" for belts and gears ... just in case the position switch fail, or the related electronic burn, and keep the motor running, it cut off the power from the motor part, so the unit don't "force" over the end-course and break some expensive mechanical part ... just a suggestion, anyway ;)

Hi Dan,
I have been looking at the laser power supply thingy.
I'm still abit lost:
With the standard laser power supply can I cut and engrave at the same time?
Or
Would I need a DSP type?

I work alot with acrylics and want to beable to engrave and then cut out all in one go or would I have to run two operations say engrave first then go back and cutout second.

I have now started to collect various parts.
Aluminium box section for the frame.
Broken up my oldest CNC router and will be using the linear bearings and steppers/controller(I hope)

Regards
Kevin
New Zealand

Attachments

• Laser CNC.JPG
    Laser CNC.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,209

Things

Hi Kevin,

Bit confused about you referring laser power supplies and DSP's

The laser power supply is pretty standard, usually a gold box with a big red wire. Think of this as a VFD for your spindle, but you also need a controller to control the power supply. Many people use simple parallel port breakout and software such as mach3. However, mach isn't really designed for lasercutters, and usually getting mach to do proper laser control is a pain. I bought a DSP as it's designed specifically designed for laser cutters, and can easily do engraving and cutting on the same job. They are about $500, but well worth it if you want a no fuss machine.

Keen to see your setup come together!

Dan

Hi Dan,
Thats the answer I was looking for.
I have spoken to a few guys in china and they've said their laser power supplys(gold boxes) will do. I also have read about Mach3 not working to well with laser.
Thats why I thought I'd ask the question about DSP's

Regards
Kevin

Things

Mach will get you started, though of you're intending on doing frequent or mass production, then a DSP really saves you a lot of time and effort, not to mention not having to convert all your stuff to gcode.

Things

Ready for shipping to me! Can't wait :)

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

Apparently shipped today. Ended up paying $375 for DHL express, so hopefully shouldn't be too long.

Things

Will have to keep that on the low for the time being, as these are still "unreleased" ;) Will post it as soon as I'm given permission though.

Did a bit of work designing my Z axis bearing and nut blocks for the Z axis. Just gotta get em made up somewhere now :)

BlocksAssem1.JPG

I honestly didnt think this was going to go from the origional post to this.. +1 I still havent got my cnc shiz working yet and that's why I had to build a laser in the first place... Sorry I got carried away!

HIMNL9

Things. for the hexagonal fixture ... or you find some factory that can do "forged" works (difficult, at least here), or you can solve it in a different way, if i can suggest ... the thicher part made with a "pass-thru" hole, easiest to work on, and the thin "block lip" part, made with another plate, thinner, fitted or soldered on the thicker one ... probably this will end costing less than a forged part ... ;)

Things

Got a friend that should be able to CNC mill these out of 12mm thick alu plate for a good price, hoping that'll go through :)

Dan

Things

Off we go :D

DSCF5288.jpg

Got a 1W 445 strapped onto it at the moment, now need to design the frame and Z axis around it.

And some paper cutting :D

DSCF5303.jpg

DSCF5299.jpg

And dad had a go too, turned out kinda nice (smudged a bit though)

DSCF5301.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

You ROCK THINGS!!! HAHA YOU JUST ROCK!

That is so awesome! I cant get my DVD rail arduino to work anymore.. Your project was the best!

Love the harley with the PARROT claw on it..

Last edited:

AnthoT

Man that's awesome! :D