Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 445nm heatsink machine shop

So, I am currently designing a 445nm handheld, and I want to know... What kind of heatsink do I need? How big does it have to be? What should it look like? Should it be finned, ridged, grooved, or smooth? Should it be made with two-part of one part? Single metal, or multiple?

Ok, now that you have some idea of how little idea I realy have of what it needs to look like, here is what I have available:

Machine Shop (My brother gets me into the one he uses to build tanker ships so it has almost every tool you can imagine)

Parental funding (money only plays a small part in the considerations, so dont factor economy into your calculations)

Patience (for the time being)

Hours, and hours, of skull-numbingly boring time.

Can someone please tell me what the ideal 445nm heatsink would look like?

Thank a bundle
Liam.

jakeGT

It's different for every person. Depends on what host you use, or if you are making a labby, portable....

It also depends on how powerful you want it to be and how hard you are running it.

Let us know what kind of project are you planning to build :) so we can be of some help :p

megha

There are lots of threads with valious info for what you are looking for, if you have no time to read please describe your plans... There are "ideal" heatsinks for each case. For example, there are heatsinks that works with mass that will absorb a lot of heat but once they are hot they (if they have low external surface) will take a long time to cool down, and there are some heatsinks that have low mass but a lot of external surface, so they get hot fast but they also cool down fast. Hope to have more info from you =)

Lcannon - With the resources you have already the next single most important resource we all have is access to a myriad information here and a plethora of 445 builds for sure . There's no shortage of talent and creativity in these parts. During your research you can start assembling logistics of your project before you touch a lathe or pull out the parents credit card.

Start looking at sales threads in B/S/T section and many will have build tutorials or refer to a similar build review. Just to name a few DTR, Jayrob, Lazerer, Qumefox,...Flaympyro , i can go on. The lions share of information has been well documented and the reviews usually have plenty of pics illustrating the build.
Now your asking everyone what they think you should build and ideas? Put some work in and in short time you'll be back with questions regarding your own ideas and observations. I can safely say you will get more feedback and opinions than you expected and now you can participate in your thread.

Good Luck Be Safe

Last edited:
If the above is really the case, maybe after a bit of practice you could start selling here? More machinists is always a good thing.

Tell us a bit about your machine shop.

Helios

How old are you? Do you and your parents know how dangerous a high power laser is?

Just make sure that all parties involved know what they are getting into.

Really if you want JUST a heatsink and not one that will fit into a flashlight then all you need is a 1.5"x1.5"x1.5" chunk of aluminum with a 12 mm hole drilled through it and a set screw.

Last edited: