Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIODES on SALE!!

Just recieved my diode order from Alex,
Well packed and fast shipping. Even sent me lots of extra goodies,
Thanks Alex!

Reactions: GSS

Are you guys with the 08Es telling me you still haven't rocked out with your socks out?

I want to see peak IDGAF numbers

Have we bested $890 shipped for a block yet? If not, I have a rather small list, but a list nonetheless, on the NUBM08E 8W-10W thread that Red and I are willing to go in on one or two of the eight so that I can blow AT LEAST one up to see how far she goes.

I may have much better pricing than that.. much.. but I have to try them out first since they're a new player a and not trusted like my current supplier.

What have you guys hit this far and at what current (s)?

I also want one. What's the price per? Did Alien ever post anything on the one he had?

Crap,
Just realized my 4.5amp driver isn't working. What gives with these sxd drivers? Seem alful delicate

Last edited:
I have about 10 dead sxd-v3 drivers. If anyone knows how to fix them let me know and they are welcome to take a Crack at it. I'm sure it's just something simple. I was told by X-Wossee that the cheap pots can't withstand the reflow oven. But I don't know.
Hey VirtueViolator I found the perfect drill bit for making those heatsinks fit a 12mm module and it cuts like a dream. It's the Milwaukee titanium 15/32 red helix. It was around $14.00 but it saves you a lot of aggregation. I got it the day after I sent your stuff otherwise I would have drilled it for you. The module fits perfect after drilling. I'm going to drill a bunch of them and sell them cheap. I have hundreds of those heatsinks.

The one with the cu center is awesome! Drilled for 12mm modules and it's perfect, Nice size chunk of copper.

Last edited:
My work just got a handful of 15/32 drill bits in, so I snagged a couple. :shhh:
I don't know the brand, but they got them from Fastenal, and they seem to cut through aluminum like butter. Since these 12mm modules are actually a hair under 12mm, this bit size works perfect.

I still want one of the NUBM08E's

I think we're still the only ones on the list.. I haven't checked if anyone else has posted on that thread, but we haven't been getting much traction on it yet..

VirtueViolater said:
I also want one. What's the price per? Did Alien ever post anything on the one he had?

Crap,
Just realized my 4.5amp driver isn't working. What gives with these sxd drivers? Seem alful delicate

VirtueViolater - The block is $890 shipped, that works out to $111.25/ea. I'm going to take a look at the NUBM08E thread before finishing this post to see if we have any other takers.. besides me and RedCowboy @ 1/ea (maybe 2)..

*checking out Thread: NUBM08E the new 9-10 watter*

andddd.. no. no one else. Would you like to be added to the list? I didn't want to say this because saying things like this makes people sit back and wait instead of going for it, but I MAY get these cheaper by the time we're done with this "group buy." If that's the case, the discounts will trickle down, but if not, it's best to just get on this now so we can all be some of the firsts.. after alien and abarnett

I have some $8 4.5A drivers coming in soon. You wanna try some of themz out instead of frying more $26 drivers? I have a huge pile of SXDs, XDs, BlackBuck6s, and BB62 Prototype (8A solid) drivers that i'm slowly but surely hacking away at to see which ones are salvageable, but yes, they are quite sensitive if you don't get it right the first time. I like to run lasers hard, so that's my problem lol

all or nothin

My work just got a handful of 15/32 drill bits in, so I snagged a couple. :shhh:
I don't know the brand, but they got them from Fastenal, and they seem to cut through aluminum like butter. Since these 12mm modules are actually a hair under 12mm, this bit size works perfect.

Orrr if you're comfortable drilling with an end mill by hand (no brainer w/ a press or CNC) I got one of these for $6 shipped from the Orient:

https://geek.wish.com/c/564d7f197afd4f12756efc5d

If you have thin material that a regular drill bit would eat up the end mill would do a much cleaner job.. just an option

and Chrisbee is right, the 12mm modules measure a hair over 11.9mm and a hair under 12mm - so this 12mm exact end mill does a great job as well

Last edited:
15/32 is exactly 11.9mm so it couldn't be any better. I'm glad you like the copper core one those are pretty nice. I have some really big heatsinks that look pretty cool also. I've polished some up and they look great. I'll be posting them for sale on this thread.

@lasertechgear
Can't open the exact link without signing up to that 'geek' website.

I do have access to a manual lathe and end mill. I actually used the lathe with the 15/32 drill bit to make sure I got the hole as centered as possible. I do have access to 12mm end mill bits also. But I tried one of those, and it made the hole a tiny bit oversized. It'd probably still work, but I'd want to fill the space with a thermal paste.

That's a sick website I want everything awesome!

Yep if I hadn't been in a car accident and off work for a month now I would defiantly be in for an 08, They better pay me my injury insurance.

Last edited:
This is one of the heatsinks I drilled. It came out pretty good. It does a really good job keeping things cool.

Attachments

• 20160628_050651-800x600.jpg
    20160628_050651-800x600.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 51
Wow, excellent looking job, superb. I still want to buy more of these diodes, at some point, if still available. Just been spending too much on other things lately.

I've been thinking about the divergence of these multimode diodes and the use of beam expanders to settle them down to 1.5 mRad where most of our laser pointers are at, or lower, but the best way to do this with less loss than a BE produces is by simply using a larger diameter lens to collimate them with, then the beam is expanded without adding extra lenses. For the NUBM44 I'm thinking a 16 to 25mm diameter lens is what we need but to use a lens that big means we can't use the nice copper threaded diode mounts available today, we need a jumbo version of the Axiz module and lens barrel assembly.

I'm likely a lone wolf on this idea, but the more high power multimode laser diodes which come out, the more something like this is needed, if you want a laser which puts out a nice beam and not a fan of light at any real distance.

Here's a mount which uses a large diameter collimation lens which could be modified for use with a 9mm laser diode, but this isn't made to go inside a pointer, needs to be round: http://www.ebay.com/itm/33x33x80mm-...Diode-w-Cooling-Fan-and-LD-Base-/131787997113 - I have a few of these already and the lens works great for VIS lasers too, made for IR but will work at VIS because the lens isn't coated, at least, not the ones I have.

Last edited:
You're not alone on the idea of wider optics, we need to get rid of the 9mm wide threaded hole.

That housing could work with a copper back plate that the diode flush mounts to with pin holes in the back, heat shrink could insulate them, but it may need to be shorter.

Last edited:
Edit: I agree, I was also wondering if the length of the host was too long, if so the beam would expand to be larger than the diameter of the lens at that length. Of course, if that happens the host needs to be shorter as well as a lens with a shorter FL, or put a G2 lens in there and defocus it to make the spot smaller for the output/full collimation lens, but then you have added more loss. Because of this, I take my earlier statement back, that square host might not work out for the NUBM44.

To get rid of the astigmatism wing artifacts, a 2 inch diameter PCX lens would be better if only using 50% of its aperture/diameter to collimate the beam. That way you lower the divergence and keep from having those wings at the same time. The beam would then end up at about 1 inch/25mm diameter to bring the divergence down and have a clean output without wings. If you put a focus mechanism on it with enough range, you could also focus to a very tight spot to burn things a fair distance away.

Last edited:
I am ready for the next round of bigger brighter more efficient diodes.

If they go with fiber coupling then they could have FAC lenses.

I really want to test that NUBM08e.

p.s. I burn quite well with the 6X cyl pair following a podo G2 and finishing with the 3X expander, it works really well, but a wider G2 grind lens maybe 2 inches wide or a grind between the G2 and G7 that's 2 inches wide could work well for the reasonable limits of these MM diodes, it's just hard to get past that radical divergence. I would like to use a FAC in a holder that grips the can in a wider housing then a wider lens, that could work well.

Last edited: