Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dealextreme True 50mW review

My DealExtreme: $20.15 True 50mW Green Laser Pointer Pen Black arrived yesterday (finally) and here is a little review on it.

Shipping:

Ordered on December 10th, arrived February 8th (almost two months).

Packaging:

A picture says more than a thousand words :)

003-3.jpg

The inside of the package had a single layer of bubblewrap, not much protection but it's better than nothing

Package contents:

The laser and batteries came in a small black gift box.

022-1.jpg

Note: the batteries in the picture aren't the ones that came with the laser.

The provided batteries worked fine, I think I get slightly more power from my new batteries though.

Appearance/Feel:

It looks just like any other DX-pen. It is pretty heavy for its size, which makes it feel less cheap. The batteries rattle around when i shake the laser which is very annoying. The momentary button works great.

Beam/Power:

It seems to be on spec, though this is my first green laser so it's hard to tell for sure. the beam is slightly visible in a dimly lit, or dark room. The dot is really bright, it feels uncomfortable to look at it from short distances.
I haven't measured divergence.

The beam comes out of the aperture at an angle. It's not noticable though, unless you look closely. It looks weird on photos though.

015-1.jpg

Here are some beamshots (I used some axe spray to enhance the beam, the beam isn't very visible without it):

005-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

Conclusion:

You could say that I'm satisfied with this laser. I didn't have very high expectations, it is just a 20$ pen after all. It is a cheap option for a first green laser. You can't really go wrong with 20$.

I don't think it's possible to tell output if it's your first green laser. My 15mW beam was visible in a dimly lit room, so I don't think it's quite 50mW. If it's 30mW, it should be able to smoke electrical tape so try that. Just don't look right at the dot.

Good review.
smiley.gif

wbayw

In the 2nd picture it seems that it works in TEM01. I have the same or similar pen. Have you tried to warm it up to 25-30 C? (Your hands are enough to warm it up) My pen laser's power jumped up and worked TEM00 but only if I warmed it up. While it was cold it worked TEM01 and its power was aproximately half. Mine can smoke tape.

In the 2nd picture it seems that it works in TEM01. I have the same or similar pen. Have you tried to warm it up to 25-30 C? (Your hands are enough to warm it up) My pen laser's power jumped up and worked TEM00 but only if I warmed it up. While it was cold it worked TEM01 and its power was aproximately half. Mine can smoke tape.

My laser works in the opposite way, its gets weaker when warm. Weird...

I gave him the same to my father and I took almost 2 months.:gun:
So do not recommend buying in DX can not take so long in sending.
Some companies of the same quality or better at a similar price and it takes 2 or 3 weeks.;)
For example Rayfoss, or-like, focalprice ...:D

^ "It seems to be on spec, though this is my first green laser so it's hard to tell for sure." He obviously guessed the output by looking at the beam; I'm fairly certain he did not use an LPM.

I gave him the same to my father and I took almost 2 months.:gun:
So do not recommend buying in DX can not take so long in sending.
Some companies of the same quality or better at a similar price and it takes 2 or 3 weeks.;)
For example Rayfoss, or-like, focalprice ...:D

Those companies are better, but DX shipping isn't always so bad. I've had things in 7 days before.

Since I gave my father the laser is defocused the lens easily.
It has an internal thread with two slots to adjust it.
With any movement moves the lens defocusing the beam.
It is recommended to glue or set screws?
Has happened someone else?

Last edited:
Since I gave my father the laser is defocused the lens easily.
It has an internal thread with two slots to adjust it.
With any movement moves the lens defocusing the beam.
It is recommended to glue or set screws?
Has happened someone else?

I use beeswax to lock my lenses. Stays put and easy to remove

FYI, if the beam is only slightly visible in a dark room, then its def not 50mW prob less than 20mW(in my opinion), a true 50mW beam will be visible in a lighted room, and very bright in a dark room, 20mW will be rather bright in a dark room as well. now if I was you, id have been moding that pen 5min after i got it. you may be able to get it up to 50mW especially if its already at 20mW, however it will shorten the life of the laser.