Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dealextreme cheap CNC lathe

ARG

It's probably not centred very well. You'll be lucky if you can get close to the 12mm hole size.

If you want a lathe spend 500$ and get something half decent.

Its cheaper in the long run to have a member machine stuff for you as needed.

DrSid

Still it looks like wonderful toy. Is there something like that but less, well .. Chinese ?

ARG

Definitely wouldn't do copper with that tiny motor, and I imagine it would struggle with Al.

Yourd be better off getting a cheap secound hand metal lathe.

Ive just brought one for around $250. £105 if you want to work it out..

Look on ebay. You may have to wait for a deal though as most sell for alot of money

Richard.

luccax

I have worked with a lathe on school and i would love to have this at home. Copper is not an option but i think aluminium will work just fine. It might be not very precise but com' on were talking about heatsinks

Like arglaser said. It will probable struggle. Not that it wouldnt do it. But in the end i think it will burn the
Motor out.

ARG

Like arglaser said. It will probable struggle. Not that it wouldnt do it. But in the end i think it will burn the
Motor out.

Yup... Nothing like spending 200$ then having the motor die and the whole thing become useless.
Better to spend a bit more and get a proper lathe.

I have worked with a lathe on school and i would love to have this at home. Copper is not an option but i think aluminium will work just fine. It might be not very precise but com' on were talking about heatsinks

Those heat-sinks actually have VERY tight tolerances. The center hole has to be EXACLY 12mm or the module wont make enough contact with the heat-sink and it'll be useless.

Last edited:

DrSid

Those heat-sinks actually have VERY tight tolerances. The center hole has to be EXACLY 12mm or the module wont make enough contact with the heat-sink and it'll be useless.

You can always use conductive paste. But good contact is priceless.
Wait .. an IDEA ! What if we sliced the heatsink in half, which would remove about 1mm .. and then we could use screws to tighten it around the module. This would improve most heatsinks, and would lower precision demands.