Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DealExtreme $9.90 K2 Luxeon 18650 flashlight

Hiya LPF folks, I would like to do a review only partially related to lasers here...

Well a month ago, by my friends request for a 1W IR handheld laser I has to order 18650 host...

DealExtreme: $9.90 Ultrafire WF-501B Philips Luxeon K2 Blue LED Flashlight (1*18650/2*CR123A)

Since this one is the cheapest one on the internet IMO, it was obvious choice. Well folks after trying it out, I feel so bad about installing a laser inside it, especially since I never owned a highpower flashlight before.

First the basic look and feel.
DSC00280.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

It feels generaly ... awsome :D the threads are very good (although not as good as Cree C6 Aurora)
The inner construction is very good and well thought. Inside the battery barrel, full anodization was done. Which is in my case, essential. The one and only 18650 battery I have at a time just got gutted because the protection PCB was faulty and had to go. Now the battery works normal again.
Peeling off blue foil results in exposing entire battery body as negative connection, not just the a$$. So, if there would be threading from inside the barrel, the negative would already get bridged through it to ther host.

First powerup left me searching for my jaw, and in most useless attempt to stop the ongoing 'o' in WOW. Followed by crazy maniacal laughter.

I was curious to check the current draw. DMM to 10A unfused, shows 0.82 A between battery negative and host body. Once again, wow! It does actually put out 3W of light! One thing bothers me though, 3 W emitters are found to cost than entire flashlight. I sure ain't complaining!

Unbelivably enough, the beam of blue light is visible in room with lights on:
DSC00272-1.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

And one more thing caught my attention. Pointing it at my hand actually STINGS SKIN. That is right ladies and gentlemen. This flashlight puts out enough light for burningly tingling sensation on your skin. How about that!

Also, I noticed that after 2 or 3 minutes of continous use the 'neck' will feel warm to touch. NO, that does not mean it is overheating. That means it is heastinked properly! It is pretty much expectable for this thing to produce quite a bit amount of heat.

Some pictures of internal installation:
DSC00273.jpg

The head further screws apart to reveal the emitter

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

This is one mighty and excellent flashlight.
DSC00269.jpg

Also, will make GITD items glow:
DSC00282.jpg

Also, IMHO there is enough room in head area for good heatsink, providing helluva duty cycles.

Nightshots coming soon!

P.S. Sorry Jerry :D

It does not emit 3W of light, it consumes 3W of power.

I don't know the specs of the LED but its probably around 20% efficient. So it puts out maybe ~600mW.

Awesome, I ordered a green and blue one of these a little over a week ago. For under $10 shipped I couldn't resist, if I like the two that are coming I might have to get the red one that is also available. I love blue LEDs, I have some 3W blue LEDs in my room that look so sweet at night so a blue flashlight is going to be pretty awesome.

Has anyone else here noticed how much cheaper the flashlight/LED hobby is compared to lasers? :D

Trevor

Has anyone else here noticed how much cheaper the flashlight/LED hobby is compared to lasers? :D

I'm painfully aware.

This light looks great! The host is brilliant and the output is high... get that beam collimated well enough and you have something akin to a laser without even having to gut it and put in a laser! :p

-Trevor

It does not emit 3W of light, it consumes 3W of power.

I don't know the specs of the LED but its probably around 20% efficient. So it puts out maybe ~600mW.
3W LED emitters are rated to draw 800mA of power.
So it is a 3W LED emitter.
I think it refers to power output not consumation of it.

Anyhow, this thing looks great at night! It is snowing now... you should see THAT sight!

It illuminates all the snow flakes all the way from my house to the one across the street, like, 30 meters away aprox. Also makes the entire house blue :D

Too bad it doesn't come with an SMO. It would put out more light, and go great with the single die, even if it is a bit... hexagonal.

And Eudaimonium, if you think that's bright, you need to see an P7 at 2.8A.
grin.gif
Oh, and you spelled "builds" wrong in your sig.

Too bad it doesn't come with an SMO. It would put out more light, and go great with the single die, even if it is a bit... hexagonal.

grin.gif
First, what is a SMO?

The emitter itself is not hexagonal, it is plain square.

Second, this is single most brightest thing I ever owned, and I never had a REAL flashlight, only some cheapies, P7 emitter, Aurora host already ordered last week, 2x 1.4 A AMC7135 and 18650 already here :D Beat ya to it :D

Third, my sig... Well I'll be damned, you are right! Thanks for pointing that out to me, I would never noticed since first and last letter are the same... and I do not read my own signature often. :D

grin.gif
First, what is a SMO?

The emitter itself is not hexagonal, it is plain square.

Second, this is single most brightest thing I ever owned, and I never had a REAL flashlight, only some cheapies, P7 emitter, Aurora host already ordered last week, 2x 1.4 A AMC7135 and 18650 already here :D Beat ya to it :D

Third, my sig... Well I'll be damned, you are right! Thanks for pointing that out to me, I would never noticed since first and last letter are the same... and I do not read my own signature often. :D

3W LED emitters are rated to draw 800mA of power.
So it is a 3W LED emitter.
I think it refers to power output not consumation of it.

Ok forget everything I said who know allot more about LEDs than you and stick with your beliefs. Also 3W LEDs are rated up to 1A max, but never mind.

Sorry, I should have clarified. SMO is a smooth surface reflector, versus an OP reflector, which is textured, or "orange-peel" (that's what this light uses). Basically, a smooth reflector would throw out more light, give it a tighter and brighter spot, and reduce the flood a tiny bit. Usually companies like DX will use a textured reflector to cover up small imperfections in the beam like rings, though it wouldn't bee a problem in the light. Another reason is a quad-die LED, which creates a horrible donut-shaped beam if used with an SMO reflector.

I'm surprised about it being brighter than a P7, though. Someone said that it looked like 100 lumens of blue light.

Last edited:
Ok forget everything I said who know allot more about LEDs than you and stick with your beliefs. Also 3W LEDs are rated up to 1A max, but never mind.

Umm dude, chill out, I was only expressing my opinion, Through out the sprakfun and delextreme, every Luxeon III or any other '3W EMITTER' was rated at 800 mA current draw.

But if you say so, OK. But maybe you should have tried backing it up with soem reasonable facts... not say: it is not 3 W it is 0.6 W.
How am I supposed to tell you have even general knowledge, from that?

Sorry again!

You completely ignored what I said and replaced it with something else just because you "thought" so, that annoyed the &@#%! out of me... but lets not stay angry.

700mA is the recommended current draw in general for 3W emitters, 1A maximum. And it is pretty much self explanatory that it can't be 3W out since it consumes 3W. If that light was 100% efficient then the world will be safe from global warming and all that bull.

You completely ignored what I said and replaced it with something else just because you "thought" so, that annoyed the &@#%! out of me... but lets not stay angry.

700mA is the recommended current draw in general for 3W emitters, 1A maximum. And it is pretty much self explanatory that it can't be 3W out since it consumes 3W. If that light was 100% efficient then the world will be safe from global warming and all that bull.
I am sorry to have irritated you man, I did not do my math anyhow so I just presumed.

Well, won't happen again. Thanks for correction there... So 3W emitters are 0.6 W output actually. My bad! :thanks: