Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dang, another hobby!!!!

wby300

Well this looks like a very awesome site, you guys have done some very awesome and inspiring stuff! I cant wait to get a couple of these together. I get into other hobbies also, I am into the R/C Helicopter world DEEP and hopefully this will get me away from that a little. I am actually going to liquidate my stock of them if any one is interested;) I also get into guns quite a bit, NOT liquidating any of them though. I have done the smart phone custom rom stuff and generally get into most things because I am curious to see if I can do it or not. I have already purchased 2 complete respectable powered modules ready to go, now I just need to find hosts for them, may end up turning my own down from scratch. Oh yea, I have a 3 in 1 also. I purchased one of those and have made some interesting things with it.

Jaseth

Welcome to the forum!

It's good to see you are into guns and RC helicopters. That means you know about safety precautions and at least to some extent electronics.
A laser should be treated similar to a gun - don't point it at anything you don't want to hurt; with the one exception that you also have to watch out for reflections with a laser.
As always, I am going to advice you to read the stickied threads on the forum and get a nice pair of laser safety goggles.

It is important to not overdo the safety thing though - because if you wore your goggles all the time, what would be the point of even having the laser in the first place? No need to wear them if you are outdoors and not standing in a field of mirrors, or in a room if you don't point it near anything reflective or close to you.

I am sure you could sell some R/C stuff here. Just read up on sales etiquette so you avoid getting scammed and can provide things such as timestamped pictures to make a potential buyer feel safe too.

/obligatory preaching

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

wby300

Not a lot to tell about the helis, was learning how to fly and was getting really good and then I joined the Guard in 2006 and havent had the time or money since to get back into it. I guess I had the money just no drive to fly anymore. I have 2 Raptor 50 nitro helis, 1 600 Electric, 1 Raptor 90SE, 1 Vario Extreme and a few partial airframes. All the above are ready to fly. I have around 7K or 8K in all, have anough parts for the Raptors for several crashes, few sets of wood blades and several sets of carbon. I also have 5 airplanes and about 10 cars and trucks. I have a mill/lathe and was going to do parts for the R/C hobby, looks like I might be making my own hosts for lasers now. Here in a couple days I will get some pics up, computer is running to slow right now to do it.

Ash

Welcome to LPF. :beer:
Now is a great time to dive into the laser hobby as there have been new diode breakthroughs every few months (recently).
Most people (building portable lasers) use already existing flashlights as laser hosts, and the only machining that is needed is for the custom heatsink to mount the laser diode (or module) securely in the empty flashlight.
Examples of heatsinks machined by LPF members:
1 2
I recommend starting off just making a few lab-style (non-portable) lasers using cheap ($2-$8) diodes to get the feel of building a laser. Then move up to the $40 and $80 diodes.

If you want more, there is always the possibility of building your own DPSS laser which is quite a bit more difficult than a diode-only laser.

Also, aside from single lasers, you can try your hand at building [URL="http://hacknmod.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/laser_RGB_21_big1-600x450.jpg"]full color systems[/URL] for projection and beamshows. :san:

Always remember to use the appropriate color and OD+ rating of laser safety glasses for the wavelength and power of laser you are using/building.
Alternative

wby300

100_2328.jpg
100_2187.jpg

100_2139.jpg

100_2145.jpg

100_1719.jpg

100_1749.jpg

Well heres some of the pics I could find.

I think I am going to make my own host, I have the electronic key locks comming, just need some click switches for a side mounted on/off switch.