Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cylindrial lens cutting - is it possible?

celas

Hello

Red laser modules in my RGB projectors have beam correction (cylindrical lenses) - as you can see on the photo, more than half space of the lens is left unused. Since lenses like that are even more expensive than diodes, I was wondering if I could somehow cut them in two without breaking them. Anyone knows if it's possible to do, and if it is, how exactly could I do it?

Attachments

• 20181114_233219.jpg
    20181114_233219.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 26

Ya...I have done it....It is a touchy procedure. You MAY shatter the C-lens you are working on !!! Then...you have two (2) pieces of garbage !!

1) Rent or buy a Diamond Blade Tile cutting saw
2) Using masking tape....Tape/cover the lens surface....leaving only a 1mm wide slit/gap in the centre....perpendicular to the long axis
3) GO SLOW and make very sure you are using Safety Goggles !!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) A Tile Saw cuts with a diamond blade and water.
5) Again....GO SLOW....with steady pressure....and slice thru that Bad Boy !!
6) Once cut....RINSE OFF RIGHT AWAY with water....COMPLETELY.
7) With minimal handling....peel off the tape....and RINSE Completely again

OK.....your cut surface will likely NOT be as perfect as the un-cut end.....so what....for you really only mount to one end.

Again....I have done it.....I trashed a few lenses !!

In closing....I DO NOT RECOMMEND this....but...it can be done.....but...why...It is a gamble !!

CDBEAM

That's a loooooot of work, Mr. cdbeam. Is there any reason a standard $3 glass cutter wouldn't work?

That's a loooooot of work, Mr. cdbeam. Is there any reason a standard $3 glass cutter wouldn't work?
Because a glass cutter scores the surface and relies on a clean snap to actually break the two pieces apart, it's not a technique that really works on glass that isn't in relatively thin flat sheets... A C lens (or any other for that matter) is thicker in parts than others, so a clean break is extremely unlikely if not impossible. Abrasive cutting puts less to chance

Basically what CDBEAM suggests but get the thinnest lapidary blade you can find to fit your saw. I bought a cheap saw from harbor freight and blade from ebay. Rigging a hose for flowing water directly on the glass is a big help too.

Hey Cyp...That's funny...I suppose two sets of pliers will work also !!!....hey.....nice new avatar !!! I have missed your Rapier Wit !!

Speaking of cyl lenses, Bob, any news on the group buy? I know it hasn't been long, but last I heard they were on the way to you. Just thought I'd ask.

It has been about 2 weeks.....will send them an email to verify they are on schedule.....they said....Ready to ship 11.29.2018 IIRC.

Why would the differing thickness redirect the fault line? Have you tried it, or is this conjecture?
Partially conjecture - Not tried it on a C Lens, but I did attempt to cut the lens from a magnifying glass in half a few years ago and it didn't go well... :p

Hello

Red laser modules in my RGB projectors have beam correction (cylindrical lenses) - as you can see on the photo, more than half space of the lens is left unused. Since lenses like that are even more expensive than diodes, I was wondering if I could somehow cut them in two without breaking them. Anyone knows if it's possible to do, and if it is, how exactly could I do it?
There's an appropriate maxim you may have heard.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I always hated that one. Like many adages, it falls apart when actual scrutiny is applied. A "deepity" as coined by Daniel Dennet. "...a specific kind of statement that can be read in two different ways: one way that's true but trivial, and another that's much more intriguing but false."

In this case:
1) In a purely literal sense, "there is no point in fixing something if it isn't broken. Indeed, such a feat is impossible." True, but trivial.
2) The other more metaphorical reading being "you should never risk trying to improve something if it is currently functional." Intriguing, but false.

It's a stupid adage.

I know this is old, and I looked at the “Grinding lens” thread; but I was thinking I’d like to get a set of the 6x cylinder pairs cut round. Has anyone taken this on? I tried asking an eyeglass place here if they’d do it, but they won’t touch it.
SGD🥃

Encap

I know this is old, and I looked at the “Grinding lens” thread; but I was thinking I’d like to get a set of the 6x cylinder pairs cut round. Has anyone taken this on? I tried asking an eyeglass place here if they’d do it, but they won’t touch it.
SGD🥃
Possible but tricky to make properly. See considerations here: https://www.edmundoptics.com/knowle...ers/considerations-when-using-cylinder-lenses

Thor Labs sells round cylinder lenses with or without AR coating see: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=3371
So does Edmond Optics they say:
"cylinder lenses require specialized equipment and skills to manufacture, along with requiring a unique coordinate system to effectively reference features of a lens. Two orthogonal directions define the reference system: the power direction and the non-power direction. The first direction is called the “power direction” because it runs along the curved length of the lens, and is the only axis with optical power (Figure 1). The second direction is called the “non-power direction” because it runs along the length of the lens without any optical power. The length of the cylinder lens along the non-power direction can extend without affecting the optical power of the lens. Cylinder lenses can have a variety of form factors including rectangular, square, circular, and elliptical shapes. 12.7mm and 25.4mm round are stock lenses not cheap however: https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/beam-shaping-pcx-cylinder-lenses/32964/

Newport has them a bit cheaper see: https://www.newport.com/f/round-uncoated-n-bk7-cylindrical-lenses

Just google "round cylindrical lenses" a lot of suppliers are out there.

Last edited:
Possible but tricky to make properly. See considerations here: https://www.edmundoptics.com/knowle...ers/considerations-when-using-cylinder-lenses

Thor Labs sells round cylinder lenses with or without AR coating see: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=3371
So does Edmond Optics they say:
"cylinder lenses require specialized equipment and skills to manufacture, along with requiring a unique coordinate system to effectively reference features of a lens. Two orthogonal directions define the reference system: the power direction and the non-power direction. The first direction is called the “power direction” because it runs along the curved length of the lens, and is the only axis with optical power (Figure 1). The second direction is called the “non-power direction” because it runs along the length of the lens without any optical power. The length of the cylinder lens along the non-power direction can extend without affecting the optical power of the lens. Cylinder lenses can have a variety of form factors including rectangular, square, circular, and elliptical shapes. see 12.7mm and 25.4mm are stock lenses not cheap however: https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/beam-shaping-pcx-cylinder-lenses/32964/

Newport has them a bit cheaper see: https://www.newport.com/f/round-uncoated-n-bk7-cylindrical-lenses

Just google "round cylindrical lenses" a lot of suppliers are out there.
Copy all thanks Encap!
SGD🥃