Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Cylindrial lens cutting - is it possible?

celas

Hello

Red laser modules in my RGB projectors have beam correction (cylindrical lenses) - as you can see on the photo, more than half space of the lens is left unused. Since lenses like that are even more expensive than diodes, I was wondering if I could somehow cut them in two without breaking them. Anyone knows if it's possible to do, and if it is, how exactly could I do it?

Attachments

CDBEAM777

Ya...I have done it....It is a touchy procedure. You MAY shatter the C-lens you are working on !!! Then...you have two (2) pieces of garbage !!

1) Rent or buy a Diamond Blade Tile cutting saw
2) Using masking tape....Tape/cover the lens surface....leaving only a 1mm wide slit/gap in the centre....perpendicular to the long axis
3) GO SLOW and make very sure you are using Safety Goggles !!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) A Tile Saw cuts with a diamond blade and water.
5) Again....GO SLOW....with steady pressure....and slice thru that Bad Boy !!
6) Once cut....RINSE OFF RIGHT AWAY with water....COMPLETELY.
7) With minimal handling....peel off the tape....and RINSE Completely again

OK.....your cut surface will likely NOT be as perfect as the un-cut end.....so what....for you really only mount to one end.

Again....I have done it.....I trashed a few lenses !!

In closing....I DO NOT RECOMMEND this....but...it can be done.....but...why...It is a gamble !!

CDBEAM

Cyparagon

That's a loooooot of work, Mr. cdbeam. Is there any reason a standard $3 glass cutter wouldn't work?

Immo1282

LPF Site Supporter
That's a loooooot of work, Mr. cdbeam. Is there any reason a standard $3 glass cutter wouldn't work?
Because a glass cutter scores the surface and relies on a clean snap to actually break the two pieces apart, it's not a technique that really works on glass that isn't in relatively thin flat sheets... A C lens (or any other for that matter) is thicker in parts than others, so a clean break is extremely unlikely if not impossible. Abrasive cutting puts less to chance

logsquared

Basically what CDBEAM suggests but get the thinnest lapidary blade you can find to fit your saw. I bought a cheap saw from harbor freight and blade from ebay. Rigging a hose for flowing water directly on the glass is a big help too.

CDBEAM777

Hey Cyp...That's funny...I suppose two sets of pliers will work also !!!....hey.....nice new avatar !!! I have missed your Rapier Wit !!

paul1598419

Speaking of cyl lenses, Bob, any news on the group buy? I know it hasn't been long, but last I heard they were on the way to you. Just thought I'd ask.

CDBEAM777

It has been about 2 weeks.....will send them an email to verify they are on schedule.....they said....Ready to ship 11.29.2018 IIRC.

paul1598419

Thanks. Didn't mean to derail this thread. It just brought that to mind.

Immo1282

LPF Site Supporter
Why would the differing thickness redirect the fault line? Have you tried it, or is this conjecture?
Partially conjecture - Not tried it on a C Lens, but I did attempt to cut the lens from a magnifying glass in half a few years ago and it didn't go well... :p

steve001

Hello

Red laser modules in my RGB projectors have beam correction (cylindrical lenses) - as you can see on the photo, more than half space of the lens is left unused. Since lenses like that are even more expensive than diodes, I was wondering if I could somehow cut them in two without breaking them. Anyone knows if it's possible to do, and if it is, how exactly could I do it?
There's an appropriate maxim you may have heard.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Cyparagon

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I always hated that one. Like many adages, it falls apart when actual scrutiny is applied. A "deepity" as coined by Daniel Dennet. "...a specific kind of statement that can be read in two different ways: one way that's true but trivial, and another that's much more intriguing but false."

In this case:
1) In a purely literal sense, "there is no point in fixing something if it isn't broken. Indeed, such a feat is impossible." True, but trivial.
2) The other more metaphorical reading being "you should never risk trying to improve something if it is currently functional." Intriguing, but false.

It's a stupid adage.