Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

creating a thinner beam

Has anyone successfully made a thinner, more concentrated beam for a laser with an aixiz module? I imagine it would require at least 1 extra lens at the end of the laser module. id love to make my 445nm have a more prominent, thin beam like the greenies. who has done this to a home made laser??

It's not possible to decrease the beam diameter and keep the same divergence, at least not with an aixiz module and one extra lens.
It's not talked about because it's not really possible.

It's still not possible, but what you should look for is a beam expander used backwards. Your divergence will be horrible though. The output of a laser naturally diverges, all you can do is try to slow that divergence down. It's a lot harder to slow it down with a narrow beam.

Optics are seldom talked about around here for some odd reason...

Last edited:

Grix

You can try buying beam correction optics for the 445nm, and then install them so that they don't expand the fast axis, but rather contract the slow axis

Morgan

I've heard this lens mentioned a few times round about the place. What makes it so good Andy? I've seen it mentioned with red, blue...

I doubt I can understand the lens by just reading the figures on the Roithner site but a quick coverage of the basics would help.

What benefits over, say, a Jayrob or Larry lens? Still massive splash with a 445 diode? I think I'm right in saying they're pretty expensive though?

Cheers,

M
:)

the phr sled mod looks interesting, even if it was only swapped out with my normal lens occasionally because of the ugly splash at the point of the beam. however i imagine the phr lens is probably plastic, right?

Beam diameter and divergence are pretty much tied together for all intents and purposes. When one goes up, the other will go down.

And Pontiacg5, I think optics isn't discussed much mostly because the price of most good optics, other than the stuff readily available and well known already, (aixiz lenses, 405g1, PBS cubes, prisms, gratings, etc) exceeds what most hobbyists are willing to pay.

I've heard this lens mentioned a few times round about the place. What makes it so good Andy? I've seen it mentioned with red, blue...

I doubt I can understand the lens by just reading the figures on the Roithner site but a quick coverage of the basics would help.

What benefits over, say, a Jayrob or Larry lens? Still massive splash with a 445 diode? I think I'm right in saying they're pretty expensive though?

Cheers,

M

come to the meet to see for ya self ;)

Morgan

It's a UK meet through the, 'other', forum Jeff. Sign up and come along. 1st, 2nd and 3rd of Oct...

I will have to go now I suppose! (Like I wasn't going to come anyway... :D )

M

It's a UK meet through the, 'other', forum Jeff. Sign up and come along. 1st, 2nd and 3rd of Oct...

I will have to go now I suppose! (Like I wasn't going to come anyway... :D )

M

im bringing a 660 test rig and simon is bringing a 640 test rig.

Morgan

Cool, I look forward to seeing them.

Are they only suitable for reds? What about the BRs and 445s of this world?

M

also, is the lens27 plastic? seems like it would be out of the question to use it with a 445, since these 1000mw+ beasts would cook a plastic lens