Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool Knife.

The bolded is the single worst piece of legal advice I have ever read on an internet forum. Having a gun in the glovebox absolutely counts as carrying it concealed, just like if it's under your seat or in your pocket. I mean I get that there can be misunderstandings, and I hate to have to ask this, but are you actively trying to get people arrested?

As far as reciprocity, that has its limits as well. For instance, in NC, there is no such thing as legal concealed carry of a knife over a certain size, whether you have a permit or not (knives under a certain size don't count as weapons for the concealed carry laws).

All firearm ownership transfers between states do require going through an FFL, very good point about that.

Bottom line is, everyone needs to know the laws in their own state. Consult a lawyer if you're not comfortable, but it's up to you to find out the laws for yourself, and don't just take your advice from the internet.
Worst advice? Why?? You do know I'm talking about FL (Florida) correct?? I know I posted FL in my post & was clearly replying to the OP that lives in FL too. YES you can put a handgun fully loaded in your glove box in FL, it's NOT illegal here. Sorry IF you don't know FL law, I better and I do.

An easy way to find out what States allow you carry in their State, simply go here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

It's my understanding that an OTF auto will not "lock" until fully fired / extended, for security reasons. I don't think there's a knife designed to forcefully penetrate a target (be it paper or a combatant) during the "firing" phase... .

I'm not suggesting the Infidel is good or bad, but that it's not surprising that even a piece of paper will prevent an OTF knife from locking into operting position. Many of these knives' springs are at rest untill you trigger the knife*...

But Jay should be able to answer that more accurately as he has enough OTF samples... :D

As for State laws, can anyone from Florida tell me about local knife laws? I will be in Miami this summer and if I came across a Microtech, I'd probably like to take it home with me ;) Otherwise I will concentrate on EU / German manufacturers as I can imagine the problems with buying an OTF overseas... :rolleyes: Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a German / EU brand to me please**?

*P.S. Sorry if the "proof" is in those Youtube videos, but I do not have access to them (@office...)

**EDIT: Anyone know "Böker"? Here's a nice auto (but not OTF) that is perhaps more in my price class than the Microtech / Benchmades OTFs... Thx
**EDIT2: Here's another one...

**EDIT3: Guys, which blade type do you like better (& why)? The first one's a "drop point", the 2nd a "recurve" and third's a "Tanto" (serrated).

I think I will take one of the three as my first *real* knife and let's see how it goes from there... (read: to Microtech or not to Microtech...)
Yes you'll have NO issue in purchasing a MicroTech or other auto knives while your in Miami, no permit required to purchase over the counter. IF your going to be there in August you should go to the Gun Show in Ft Lauderdale, you'll find plenty of dealers to purchase from. Be careful if your flying out of Miami with it though, you'll get busted big time at the airport by TSA. Either ship it back home, or put it in your checked baggage and check that baggage in at curb-side and you'll be fine.

Federal law:

The Switchblade Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. § 1241–1245), prohibits possession on Federal lands, Indian reservations, military bases, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and other protectorates. It prohibits manufacture and sale of switchblades in interstate commerce.[14] The act was amended in 1986 to also restrict ballistic knives. Federal law controls Federal aspects only, and does not mandate prohibition within an individual state. It does say specified knives can not be mailed through the U.S.Postal Service, and provides penalty exceptions for other common carriers/shipping companies doing normal business.[14]

18 U.S.C. § 1716(g)(2) provides this summary:

Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions: Switchblade knives can be shipped: (1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government; (2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization; (3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory; procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government. (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).

15 U.S.C. § 1244 provides, in summary: Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the armed forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives and may have them shipped to him and sold to him or her. The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicap individual who has the use of only one arm.

I have Boker and Hubertus lever locks... Check out
http://www.pvknife.com/webcat/
Cool. Did you picture any of them in your original post? Btw, I don't believe it, but the Böker I was looking at is way cheaper at your site then locally ($65 vs. €87)... :wtf:
I think I'll wait 'till I'm in Miami to buy something.

Yes you'll have NO issue in purchasing a MicroTech or other auto knives while your in Miami, no permit required to purchase over the counter.
Excellent, thx! If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a knife then I'd just assume see it first hand, making sure it's mint. There's always a chance of a problem when ordering online... :undecided:

Jayrob:

Hey there, that's a nice collection you have there, I have many fine ones too; one of these days I'll have to take some pics and post too.

I do have a question for you though, are you sure that even a private collector can purchase and possess auto knives over 2"?? I have always heard and been told that CA residents can not do either, but you live there so what's the scoop? Do your local gun stores carry the MicroTechs for example?

I did a quick search and here's what I found, the chart shows in CA both possession (own) and carry over 2" is illegal, no?

Switchblade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Worst advice? Why?? You do know I'm talking about FL (Florida) correct?? I know I posted FL in my post & was clearly replying to the OP that lives in FL too. YES you can put a handgun fully loaded in your glove box in FL, it's NOT illegal here. Sorry IF you don't know FL law, I better and I do.

An easy way to find out what States allow you carry in their State, simply go here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Alrighty then, I'll take my lumps when I'm mistaken.

Even knowing many shooters and gunowners from FLA and talking to them, and knowing the CC laws of many states from those associations, my understanding was that a CC permit was required if the gun invisible but still accessible from the driver's seat in every state I had encountered. I've traveled extensively with firearms, including in Florida, and I had yet to learn that particular facet of concealed carry law in Florida.

And to be completely honest, it doesn't make sense to me that that's the law. The gun is still just as accessible, maybe even MORE accessible, if it's in your console instead of on your person, but it does indeed appear to be the law in Florida. I guess I learn something new every day. I'll still be casing all my firearms while they're in a car, but now I know I don't have to do so if I'm in Florida.

Just another case "know the laws where you live". That approach works in Florida, but will get you cited in many other states, because the gun is still accessible. Heck, in NC, I know people who have been cited for concealed without a permit if you lay your black handgun on a black background in your car, clearly visible but "blending in" with the background. Glovebox and console both 100% require a CC permit, even if the glovebox or console is locked at the time.

My apologies.

--------------------------------------

Back onto knives, I bought this last night: Microtech Lightfoot LCC D/A RARE folder. Near MINT! - eBay (item 220613917144 end time May-31-10 05:53:43 PDT)

Traveller, yes, that is another example of what I was referring to. This knife I just bought is another one. I already have one of these, and I LOVE it. Problem is they stopped making them, so they're hard to find. Another problem is I'm an IDIOT and dropped my first one, took the tip right off of it.:banghead: Maybe took $100 or more off the value of it in half a second. This one popped up on ebay at that price, so I HAD to take it, I couldn't pass on it. But this one I linked is the one I described before having a hidden switch. The metal bolster actually rotates around the large hinge, and releases the spring. Pretty sweet. I'll see if I can find a few picks showing the mechanism.

Last edited:

jayrob

Jayrob:

Hey there, that's a nice collection you have there, I have many fine ones too; one of these days I'll have to take some pics and post too.

I do have a question for you though, are you sure that even a private collector can purchase and possess auto knives over 2"?? I have always heard and been told that CA residents can not do either, but you live there so what's the scoop? Do your local gun stores carry the MicroTechs for example?

I did a quick search and here's what I found, the chart shows in CA both possession (own) and carry over 2" is illegal, no?

Switchblade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure there are places that will ship auto's, just like places ship high powered lasers that they are not really supposed to ship...

As far as a collector owning a collection. I always thought that is ok. I could be wrong... (what if you made your own auto?)

I know that you are not supposed to carry an automatic knife with a blade over 2" in CA.

But like I said before, there are a ton of 'one hand' knives that are basically the same as an auto when comparing the speed and ability to deploy it as a weapon. So I really don't understand the law on it...

But I guess I'll just keep my collection to pocket folders and such... It would be cool to own an automatic knife over 2" one day! :D

Last edited:
It's all good Jayrob, a collection kept in the privacy of your home has little chance of being discovered; unless you do something else that warrants them to enter. I've been to numerous gun & knife shows and the dealers bitch about not being able to do business in CA for anything over 2", kind of rules out MicroTech, ProTech, etc.

Anyhow yes just like lasers, I'm sure you can always find a way to get one or two of them, but hay who's counting :)

Here's a quick pic that I just snapped of one of my Scarab's D/E Satin Plain Executive model, these were a limited quantity & availability and are not made anymore. I have 2 of these and 2 of the regular Scarab's with the "skate tape"; I have much more stuff like this the vault.

Attachments

• P5310045a.jpg
    P5310045a.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,286

jayrob

Here's a CA legal auto from ProTech at PVKnife...

runt2gn2010new.jpg

I have one of these... Super high quality, coil spring 'mini' auto...

Last edited:
Its to my understanding that if you where to open the knife, it wont even penetrate a single piece of paper. I'll let these videos speak for themselves. To be honest, those videos are pretty bias against Benchmade, but they do still make a very compelling argument...

It's my understanding that an OTF auto will not "lock" until fully fired / extended, for security reasons. I don't think there's a knife designed to forcefully penetrate a target (be it paper or a combatant) during the "firing" phase... .
*P.S. Sorry if the "proof" is in those Youtube videos, but I do not have access to them (@office...)

Ok, I saw the videos. So clearly I'm wrong about the security feature (which means my OTF is just as bad as that Infidel, but at least I didn't pay anywhere near that price).

Last edited:
Ok, I saw the videos. So clearly I'm wrong about the security feature (which means my OTF is just as bad as that Infidel, but at least I didn't pay anywhere near that price).

Jay, if you fire your Scarab close to, say, a leather belt, does it leave a mark upon impact? I'd at least lie to think that it won't penetrate a body part while deploying...

I own plenty of knives, lasers and flashlights. I have two OTF style switchblades. Both of witch I didn't pay more than $50 each for. Both of them capable of penetrating paper when opening, and both of them where able to penetrate a capri sun juice pack :crackup:.

As far as a security device goes, I really don't understand what you mean. Are you implying that in some knives it wont open unless it has a clear path to fully extend itself, to avoid unwanted penetration?

Personally, I think that Benchmade is a very prestigious company, and they make alot of high quality, long lasting knives. But the infidel they made is a joke. And its tough for me to post these videos against them. As far as those videos go, they where published by RoadSideImports; a company that has been boycotting Benchmade for a while now, so there kinda bias.

I have no experience with the Infidel, but Benchmade definitely make some good knives. As good a value as other companies? Maybe not, but definitely still quality. I carried a 3550 Mel Pardue Auto (jayrob has one in one of his pictures, I believe) for a year or 2, it was a great multi-purpose EDC knife. Took care of it (never dropped it like I dropped my Microtech LCC, dangit, I still kick myself for that even 2 years later), and it took care of me.

...this one I linked is the one I described before having a hidden switch. The metal bolster actually rotates around the large hinge, and releases the spring. Pretty sweet. I'll see if I can find a few picks showing the mechanism.
Thanks again for the tip, PBD!
My ultimate goal is to get myself a nice OTF and/or Damascus Auto but in the meantime, I picked up a much simpler more humble version of your "dual action" knife today:

Böker Plus V&D Express
"Böker Plus Double Action folder. You have the choice to open the blade manually or use the automatic opening option by sliding the handle's scale [upper handle cover] up a little. This design was made by Butch Valloton and Matt Diskin."

Blade Length 7,7 cm (3")
Closed Length 10,7 cm (4.2")
Total Length 18,4 cm (7.2")
Weight 103 g
Steel AUS-8
Handles Zytel
Pouch/Sheath Clip

Material-wise, it's nothing to write home about, but then again, it's an $80 knife. Funtionality-wise*, I have to say that the dual action w/hidden spring-assist is really :cool:

01bo540.jpg

EDIT * I found this video which, despite poor lighting, does show how the "hidden" trigger is... triggered

Last edited: