Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool Article - Green Laser Diodes

Cool little article here in this month's Compound Semiconductor magazine, about a little company called Kaai, which makes blue and green laser diodes. Prettyh neato for the non-technical types out there.

Compound Semiconductor - Kaai takes laser productions to new planes

Nice photo from the article:

170052424.gif

Yeah, those are blue and green laser diodes.

Very interesting reading.
In addition to Kaai's 523nm and 525nm,,Sumitomo and Osram Opto Semiconductors have developed Green diodes also.

Sumitomo's is 531nm and OOS's is 515nm

Also Rohm and Nichia and researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have developed (or are developing) true green LD's

It won't be long, gentlemen!!
I've read <2 years for them to widely appear in laser TV's

Last edited:
^Osram has gotten a little higher than 515, haven't they? Osram's and Nichia's separately-published results are pretty interesting for another reason too, because they're both on polar GaN, which is pretty freakin' amazing. All the other published green results are on semi-polar planes (except Kaai, because they haven't said and are keeping it pretty tight-lipped).

Kaai's is notable because theirs is actually CW, and is the longest-wavelength CW result that has been published.

I haven't seen any lasers published by RPI recently though, and the longest Rohm wavelength I recall is still right around 500nm.

ETA: Just found one article from RPI from Oct 2009 about them having optically-pumped lasing up to around 490nm, which means they still have a ways to go, since they still need electrical pumping to that level and higher wavelength.

Last edited:
^Osram has gotten a little higher than 515, haven't they? Osram's and Nichia's separately-published results are pretty interesting for another reason too, because they're both on polar GaN, which is pretty freakin' amazing. All the other published green results are on semi-polar planes (except Kaai, because they haven't said and are keeping it pretty tight-lipped).

Kaai's is notable because theirs is actually CW, and is the longest-wavelength CW result that has been published.

I haven't seen any lasers published by RPI recently though, and the longest Rohm wavelength I recall is still right around 500nm.
515nm is the highest I've seen for Osram,but my sources are 5 months old. A lot can happen in the SC world, in 5 months.:D

It's quite fascinating. I just wish they would sell those new blue and green LDs at an affordable price =/ =/ =/

thats awesome! hopefully they can make .5 watt of 405 cheaper, and any power of blue!

tatman

Sure I am interested. But since I am more dumm than you I don't know what you are talking about. So before I jump in I'm going to have to be much less dummer than this. Very cool article for us non-tech people...just wish I was less dumm.

^lol
very cool, I'm sure that the we should see some cool laser stuff in the next few months that is newly affordable to us hobbyists. Isn't one of us taking apart that mini laser projector with the blue diode and green quantum dot laser? not quite a green diode, but the blue one is still cool.

Excellent! I really wish that they could take some better photos though, it looks like LEDs to me :(.

Asherz

High powered keychain greenies, it's looking pretty awesome!

Wow. I wonder how long till we'll be able to get our hands on these.. I really hope it's sooner than "three to five years". Raw diode green. Do. want.

Wow. I wonder how long till we'll be able to get our hands on these.. I really hope it's sooner than "three to five years". Raw diode green. Do. want.
I'd bet in under two years.
Advances in semiconductor technology are measured in days or weeks, not months or years.

Read some of the archives here, from two years ago!! You will be surprised.:undecided:

Oh yeah believe me, I know; I remember just a short time ago, a blu-ray drive was still a real rare thing. I'm just wondering if it'll happen as fast as far as push for availability goes, since we had blu-ray driving 405nm diodes... According to the graph in that article, and some of the earlier articles on green diodes that i've read, green diodes really only started to 'happen' around mid last year, all around, at all.

I know there are projector and TV applications for green diodes but are there as much? And the harvesting potential?

Donno. I hope so. Really hope so.

Last edited: