Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Connection Help!

Im using the pill it comes with, Also its a LiFePO battery because its rechargeable, if a lithium ion battery hits 0% its dead. Or so I have heard.

With that 520nm diode it is impossible to come close to fully draining your Li-Ion batteries, it can't come close to using the full capacity of the batteries before it stops working. That diode needs 5.8V just to reach its lasing threshold (about 15mW), and about 6.7-6.8V for full power. There is also a small voltage drop accross the driver, so you get short battery life to begin with. You have to use the 3.7V batteries that charge to 4.2V when fully charged, otherwise you will get reduced power and it won't work for more than several minutes if even that long. Be sure your batteries are fully charged before use, they normally ship uncharged. The one I have uses a micro boost driver and runs on one 18650, it starts flashing when the battery gets too low, the SL drivers won't flash though, you will simply notice a power drop well before it stops working.

Alan

With that 520nm diode it is impossible to come close to fully draining your Li-Ion batteries, it can't come close to using the full capacity of the batteries before it stops working. That diode needs 5.8V just to reach its lasing threshold (about 15mW), and about 6.7-6.8V for full power. There is also a small voltage drop accross the driver, so you get short battery life to begin with. You have to use the 3.7V batteries that charge to 4.2V when fully charged, otherwise you will get reduced power and it won't work for more than several minutes if even that long. Be sure your batteries are fully charged before use, they normally ship uncharged. The one I have uses a micro boost driver and runs on one 18650, it starts flashing when the battery gets too low, the SL drivers won't flash though, you will simply notice a power drop well before it stops working.

Alan

Will the batteries i sent work. The LI-ON Rechargeable Batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3IAN4VN1Q26HU

I can't fit them. How can I fit them, wait the expander tube right?

What do you mean you can't fit them? I thought you were going to use a C6 host. If you are going to use a C6 they are a perfect fit. With a C6 and the extension tube you could use two 18650, that would give you even longer battery life.

Alan

16340's are roughly half the size of a 18650. the c6 houses two 3.7 16340's perfectly or a single 18650 without extension tube

16340's are roughly half the size of a 18650. the c6 houses two 3.7 16340's perfectly or a single 18650 without extension tube

Well apparently because I am not insured those will work I can't go with that.
But guess what. 3.7v Rechargeable RCR123A Batteries are cheap on survivallasersusa. So I am fine. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Garoq

As others have said, you will need two fully charged (4.2V each) 16340 batteries for the PL520 diode and the driver you selected, due to the voltage requirement of the diode.

Also, here is a link to a tutorial on how to solder a driver to the brass ring and install it in the pill:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/installing-testing-sl-sd-1-dx-26110-driver-c6-pill-86327.html

And here are instructions on how to solder the assembled pill to the DTR diode module:

http://static.fw1.biz/templates//58770/myimages/diode_soldering_instructions_small_9112.pdf

If you have any other questions you can call me on the number listed on the Survival Laser "Contact" page.

Good luck! :beer:

As others have said, you will need two fully charged (4.2V each) 16340 batteries for the PL520 diode and the driver you selected, due to the voltage requirement of the diode.

Also, here is a link to a tutorial on how to solder a driver to the brass ring and install it in the pill:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/installing-testing-sl-sd-1-dx-26110-driver-c6-pill-86327.html

And here are instructions on how to solder the assembled pill to the DTR diode module:

http://static.fw1.biz/templates//58770/myimages/diode_soldering_instructions_small_9112.pdf

If you have any other questions you can call me on the number listed on the Survival Laser "Contact" page.

Good luck! :beer:

These are some AWESOME instructions, thank you for posting this :)

You seem to have your documentation up to very nice professional level. Am I free to spread those links around when somebody else asks for pill installation/soldering instructions?

Garoq

These are some AWESOME instructions, thank you for posting this :)

You seem to have your documentation up to very nice professional level. Am I free to spread those links around when somebody else asks for pill installation/soldering instructions?

Absolutely, thanks!

Garoq, what is that in your avatar (top one) and what size batteries does it take?

Alan

Garoq

Garoq, what is that in your avatar (top one) and what size batteries does it take?

Alan
That's our new S4X host which will be available in a few weeks. It uses 2 x 18650s.

20610198888_ec476ea8cd_z.jpg

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Garoq, very nice to see a larger host, will be looking for it to show up at your store. :cool:

Will these instructions work for any diode, like the Osram PLP450 450nm Laser Diode I am considering. Also are the RCR123A Rechargeable from SurvivalLasersUSA good for the Osram PLP450 450nm Laser Diode. I think it would be a better way to spend my money. Just to make sure I spend my money on a powerful laser. I wont see the beam with my glasses anyway.

Will these instructions work for any diode, like the Osram PLP450 450nm Laser Diode I am considering. Also are the RCR123A Rechargeable from SurvivalLasersUSA good for the Osram PLP450 450nm Laser Diode. I think it would be a better way to spend my money. Just to make sure I spend my money on a powerful laser. I wont see the beam with my glasses anyway.

Yes those instructions apply to any Survival Laser host with any diode you are using, except the shorting issue with the driver is a problem with just the one commonly used round 1.25A driver.

Those batteries will work although they are Ultrafire, Ultrafire brand are cheaper and lower quality batteries and the mAh is usually overstated, but in a low to medium power laser like you are talking about they will work just fine. In very high power lasers they can still work ok but may have short runtime between recharging, I have tried Ultrafire in my lasers.

The one batteries you should never buy are the cheapest generic blue ones that have no brand name on them, they are sold on Amazon and a few other places, I have them in 2 sizes and they are garbage, maybe 1/4th or less the stated mAh.

Alan