Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

confirmed PL-E pro GB

so I have been interested in these new 9mm diodes, both the 520 and 445. I do not currently own any jetlaser and feel like changing that, but there are not wavelengths or power levels I really want. So I email Grey and ask if these new diodes could be put into PL-E pros, expecting to hear no. No is not what I heard

I asked if they could use the new 445 9mm, if they could run it at only 4W (hah, ONLY), as even though it is 6W capable, I would not expect a long life, and I'm sure jetlasers has no interst in loosing money to warrenties of over-driven diodes. grey said yes. wow.

I have emailed him asking if they plan to make many, or just for my request. (I sure would feel special if they were willing to make just me one) I thought I'd go farther. I asked grey if he is ok with a GB for these. I told him I cant pay for the units now but must wait until summer when work picks up for me more, but if I were to host a GB for these, by the time I am ready I could have more buyers for him, that way if they don't plan on mass producing them, they can at least do a few and make a small chunk, not just my chump change.

hakzaw1 would make a better GB host than I, given his connection with them. If when I hear back from grey that a GB is ok, maybe he can take over, but if he does not want to and the forum is ok with it, I will run it.

will post again when I get an answer, but even if no GB, if you want a PL-E pro 1W 520 or 4W 445, ask grey. these will be pricy units, I think the 445 will be roughly $600 more than the 2W 445 PL-E pro. I will post more when I know more:thanks:

Last edited:

Re: Jetlasers proposal

In the summer I'd probably be interested in one....when work picks up

I'll have to wait a while, but i'd definitely be interested in a 1W 520nm in a PL-E Pro host.

Tmack

Sounds like a great couple of lasers. I'm interested for sure.

gismo

It'd be nice to see what good Gray and co. could come up with:). As a happy jetlasers customer I shall keep an eye on the progress of 520nm possibility in either way PL-E PRO or perhaps a new host designed. Who knows, the price might keep falling down further until summer time...

Keep us informed, Shakenawake:beer:

That sounds interesting! In summer I will probably be intersed in buying the 520 to. Keep us up to date. :)
How much do you expect the 1W 520 will be until summer?

unless the diode cost comes down a lot before the order is placed, I expect both these units to cost $800 or more, but probably not over $1000. I think a BE is a good addition. If this gets oked I will naturally post prices. I'd guess there will be variation based on if you want ac adapter, BE, etc.

"...unless the diode cost comes down a lot before the order is placed, I expect both these units to cost $800 or more, but probably not over $1000. " end quote

This looks accurate--
HOWEVER I am thinking the 445 would not be that much-the only difference would be the diode and a new driver-- my guesstimate wouild be around $600 or even less for the 445--
edit-my bad - These 445 s are NOT the BenQ and indeed are pricy so that estimate may be right--sry

BUT as always - the diode greens will , in time, become more affordable(already dropping from~ $1000 to ~$750)
- AND 'buyers remorse' will NOT be a valid reason to return for refund- Far too many have already taken advantage of Gray and his reluctance to say NO to anyone-

Be a man and 'own' any damage you did-or buyer's remorse... if you dropped your laser that was your fault not Gray's -- if you wished you had waited for the cost to drop--- again please do not take advantage of Gray.

IF the damage was done by you ---

You can still ship it to me(~$10) and Gray will ship it back fixed and the cost will be a fair one. BUT NOT FREE!!- you will have to pay for both domestic shipping-as i can send a one for repair when another package is going back to China (a wait may happen)--

"I think a BE is a good addition. If this gets oked I will naturally post prices. I'd guess there will be variation based on if you want ac adapter, BE, etc." end quote

The BE would make more sense for the 445 IMO as the diode greens pretty much already have a sweet thin beam, round dot and good divergence too--

go to Jl.com to see what 'extras' are offered- and the cost- waiting til later is a mistake as you will need to pay shipping-

SO plz post here in Shaken's thread if you have interest and are OK with what will likely be a higher price than if you had waited-

JL had 24 BENQ 9mm 445 diodes already but may have used them all for under-driven Pro Pl-E 2W-445s

edit- wrong diodes^^^

these can run cooler- and much longer than if the diode was pushed.. the duty/rest cycle would change when the diode is driven to a higher output- and the overall lifespan is also effected by this--

Expect the 445 to be offered first--
for the 520 1W expect a longish wait as the diodes will not be very likely purchased by JL until we have paid for them-afaik

and also do not expect any or many 'extras' to be made..

A second 'feeler' thread will soon be started and I will move the list from here to it- after that we will change to the actual list of commited buyers-

-- JL/Gray recently got scammed big time- (several $k) and PooPPal helped the scammer do his dirty dirty dirty deed- SO forget PP-- I want all buyers to send USPS MOs to me and I will bank transfer the entire amt- saving each buyer between 30 and 45$ in banking fees alone...

.. all lasers will be shipped to me- i will randomally assign them THEN meter each and ship to the buyers (CONUS only) IF you are NOT CONUS just have a member friend who IS CONUS handle your second shipping as I cannot-- another option would be to just apy Gray the $30 and have him ship directly to you..

final cost will be what Gray asks plus an equal share of the bank transfer- and all related shipping costs
-
I do not intend to lose $$ on any GB nor do i want to profit from them-

problem is... the things that CAN happen that I cannot foresee--

If you have Qs or are confused please feel free to PM me.

I highly suggest you get the BE if you are getting the 445 nm -- JL has pretty good goggles but because of them being fragile you may want to just get them elsewhere :-(
a cheapy charger is included but i recommend a smart charger- much safer too- you can get a NiteCore i2 from be in this GB for 15$ plus ship- or get one from 'csshih' at his webstore (link in his sig)

FYI I doubt I will be buying either of these for myself--

hak

Last edited:

I take it you are fine with taking over then, great, you are a much more natural choice, I figured you would be down. I just thought no way in hell was I the only one who would want a PL-E pro with one of nichi@'s new jewels. couldn't keep it to myself. I agree about no returns if the diodes become cheaper later, that is a risk everyone must realize, good news is if they do come down later and your diode burns out, repairs will be cheaper

a few things. I know I want both the 520 and 445, but no way will I be able to afford both or even one until probably june or july. I had hoped to gather interest until then before ordering. given the price, I did not think so much time was unreasonable to assemble a modest group of seriously interested people, if you are willing to pay so much you are probably willing to wait a few months, and if we are lucky the diode price will be down before the order is placed, further reducing cost. I'd hate to miss out on what I started because I can't get the cash together yet:D

The BE would make more sense for the 445 IMO as the diode greens pretty much already have a sweet thin beam, round dot and good divergence too

this would not be the case with one of these new 1W 520 diodes, they have divergence comparable to the 445nm 9mm. and even good divergence can be made better, though even the 532nm have 2mrad, not too great really

can the BE safely take 4W without damage? don't they have like a power density limit or something? I bet it would be ok.

hard to decide if I want a BE for each of them or want to make them share one

IWIRE

Jetlasers does make a great product and Gray is an amazing individual. If the GB was happening today I would have to pass, I have my money tied up in my own 3.5w 445nm diode/build. :) If it's later in the Summer I may be a player, I can't bank on the economy though. Just have to play this one by ear. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Gotcha and feel ya too-

been a tough years so far for all- heating homes this past winter up north has be brutal on the cash flow-
so we should keep the two seperate as its unlikely anyway that both could be offered at the same time- maybe in a month or three the cost of these diodes will drop--

so til then please pick the host you want as the Pro Pl-E comes two ways --black and 'silverish'-- - & I will work on helping Gray find the best prices on the diodes- maybe those too will become more 'wallet-friendly' -- any with even 'casual' interest should post in this thread about that AND unless you 'opted out' you should get an email every time something new is posted--

ATM the issue of the tailcaps on ther ProPl-E has been solved ALL Pro PKL-E owners are urged (if you can) to meter your laser both ways to see if you are getting more by shorting across the tail then with the tailcap in place- IF you are seeing a significant improvement you can get a replacment tailcap by simply sending the 'bad' one to me and asap I will send you a replacement when I get them- I need to know asap what color host you have..
also I have made a double battery tube for Pl-E Pros 445s(ONLY) the two tubes will be glued together so you need to keep your single batt tube.-- REPEAT 445 pro ple ONLY- using two 3.7vdc batts in a 532 or other Pro Pl-Es may be instant death and is NOT covered in the warranty-- with this tube you will be able to use either two 18650s or 26650s -do not expect MOAR power but instead a longer time between charging batts.

If you need both the tailcap and the double batt tube I need to know that BEFORE I ship anything to you ATM I have ONE 2X tube ready in black..

TY 'Shaken' for starting this thread--hak

heard back from gray, seems we are a go. I told him to work with Len from here, no need to complicate it by having me as message boy. no prices yet.

I am in for, assuming I have the money by the deadline,

1 PL-E pro 520 1W

1 PL-E pro 445nm 3.5-4W (whatever it ends up being)

At least 1 Beam Expander, maybe two.

1 ac power adapter IF both units can use the same one, if not then one for each

maybe a tube extension or different handle options

No charger, glasses, or batteries.

I love this place and it's people:beer:

Last edited:

I was thinking of getting some of his host and setting them up for a drop in module .I think his host look the best!

I changed the name of the thread, but maybe you should start a new one len, that way you can edit whenever. I pass the torch

one thing I'm not entirely clear on yet and am curious about is if this will be a one time production run, or if they will become permanent models. well, as permanent as ever advancing diode technology allows for. Gray did mention my suggestion sparked a lot of interest over there, he was amazed at the possibility of 6W of 445 from a single diode and told me about how they accomplished 6W with 2 current gen diodes dangerously overdriven and active cooling, beam combined in a lab style setup. It is pretty incredible, though I'll be plenty happy with 4W. guess I'll be selling the DominatoR husk then

Last edited:
Gray may go either way ..a one time thing of if there is enough interest these may be added to the offerings by JL-
IMO I am betting these will not be added to JL.com -- due to the cost now and the lower one later as prices drop on these two diodes-- JL may NOT be able to only buy a few --more likely at least 20 of the 24 445s these PJs come with- the diode green are however a different story as they are not in any PJs that I have heard about (yet)

I would like to see also what Rick can come up with too- he has always done super work at very good prices--