Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Problem

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well darn, it just crashed for the second time today. :( Here is the blue screen for the latest crash:​

17fea21e.jpg

Last edited:

mfo

Information is very skimpy on those error codes, but it's looking like it might be faulty hardware, either the mobo or CPU. Can you pose the dump files? Go to the address in the displayed error message for the dump file crated. For example, looking at the log you posted in the OP, the address would be as follows.

C:\Windows\Minidump\080111-25038-01.dmp

You definitely didn't update any drivers or install new hardware before this happened, right?

My computer is very finicky, sometimes I have to remove all of my memory, video cards and PSU plugs and reseat them all. I believe IT's call that legoing?

Also, if you think it may be a PSU problem remove as much load from the PSU as possible. Unplug any extra hard drives, CD drives, swap back over to integrated graphics if you can etc... Sometimes they come back, never for long though. I did find an intermittently shorted disk drive this way once though.

Also, this wasn't plugged in down in your basement was it :D

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Information is very skimpy on those error codes, but it's looking like it might be faulty hardware, either the mobo or CPU. Can you pose the dump files? Go to the address in the displayed error message for the dump file crated. For example, looking at the log you posted in the OP, the address would be as follows.

C:\Windows\Minidump\080111-25038-01.dmp

You definitely didn't update any drivers or install new hardware before this happened, right?

Ouch, it just crashed again, this time it just froze, no blue screen, no error messages, just total freeze. Ctrl alt del wouldn't even work. I certainly haven't changed any hardware or updated drivers, but I do have auto updates on, so it is possible one got updated by itself. I can't seem to open those dump files, should I just post the files or is there a reader I need?

EDIT: Yet another crash. :mad: This one also has a different set of error codes:

ade6ddbb.jpg

Last edited:

mfo

Ouch, it just crashed again, this time it just froze, no blue screen, no error messages, just total freeze. Ctrl alt del wouldn't even work. I certainly haven't changed any hardware or updated drivers, but I do have auto updates on, so it is possible one got updated by itself. I can't seem to open those dump files, should I just post the files or is there a reader I need?

Did you try letting it idle in safe mode to see if the problem replicates? Just post the dumps here. There is a reader here that is used to read them.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Did you try letting it idle in safe mode to see if the problem replicates? Just post the dumps here. There is a reader here that is used to read them.

Haven't tried safe mode yet, I'll do that now. I attached the dump files.

Attachments

• Desktop.zip
    262.9 KB · Views: 30

mfo

Alright, I analyzed all of the dumps (anal and dumps in one sentence, not good).

Anyhow after looking at all of this, it appears there are a few corrupted drivers on your system (which is still kind of perplexing to me because ntfs.sys is listed, which basically allows windows to read the ntfs file system. If that were indeed corrupted then your os would not load at all and would tell you the disc would need to be formatted). I'm guessing one of the following scenarios happened.

1) There was a power surge which caused the system to turn off unexpectedly. This could have caused a head crash on your hard drive (basically the read/write head hits the platter, scratching it. Basically, picture a cd player trying to play a scratched cd), making certain files unreadable. I see by your posts you ran chkdsk. Chkdsk isn't all that effective at finding bad sectors and you'd need to run a surface scan (very time consuming, would probably take a whole day to complete depending on size of the drive)

2) Windows ran auto update, and somehow the update process was botched (maybe it crashed in the middle of updates due to the storm you mentioned?). This can cause old and new files to get mixed, causing instability.

My suggestions:

1) Most importantly, back up all data on there that you care about. Computers can be replaced, precious data can not. This would be my first step if I were you (even though it's inconvenient) since your hard drive may technically be dying. If you don't have data that needs to be backed up, then proceed to step two. If windows will not let you backup your data due to frequent crashes, pull the hard drive out, place it in an enclosure and use it as an external. Then back up the data using another computer, even if you need to go to a friends house.

2) I asked you to run your computer in safe mode. If your computer works in safe mode, consider yourself fortunate. If it does not, try re-installing windows. If you can not do so because the system keeps crashing then power it off and unplug the hard drive and turn the computer on again. You'll get an error saying boot device isn't found. Don't worry about this. Let the computer idle for a couple of hours. If it doesn't crash/restart then you know your hardware is fine (except the hard drive). If it still does crash without the hard drive, you'll have some trial and error to do (we'll work on this if the need arises, but I'm doubting it at this point).

3) ?????

4) Profit

Attachments

• dumps.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Fortunately I already have all my documents, music, and photos backed up so I don't have to worry about that. I have been running in safe mode all day today and have not had any crashes yet, but I will keep in safe mode for a bit longer as the PC has gone for a day without crashes before, only to have the problem return.

EDIT: Okay, it seems to only have the problem in normal mode, safe mode seems to prevent the issue. I ran the PC for most of the weekend in safe mode and there were no problems. Just now I went back to using it normally and had a crash within minutes.

Last edited:

mfo

Reboot in safe mode with networking, try updating as many drivers as possible either through windows update or actually going to manufacturers website.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Sorry for not updating this in a while, I have been really busy with some other things. I have since replaced the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and have also changed the power supply. The problem is still happening. :eek:

If safe mode stops the issue than you more than likely have a driver conflict. Did you install anything new hardware lately? Something that plugs into USB or firewire?

How about updating drivers like video drivers or the like? If using windows update to update the drivers does not help you may try rolling back to older versions.

You more than likely have some bad or incompatible driver, something like a webcam or printer. Safe mode disables these things so there is no crash. You are going to have to go through things one at a time till you find the bad driver.

Check your event viewer too, look for anything that stands out. That may point you in the right direction. After every reboot from an unexpected shutdown the viewer will log an unexpected shutdown event. Trace back in time from there to see what is starting, trying to start, or crashing.

Tonga

Have you run a complete diagnostics from safe mode? If not you might try to reseat the ram chips first and run the diagnostic. This will take a while and need some watching as well.

Something on the mobo could of crapped out. Battery could be low too. An IDE/SATA/Raid/RAM channel could have dumped. Bios, or the RAM could of took a hit. Could be numerous things.

If it were a driver problem it would have happened before. A surge started the errors, and he replaced the OS. So I'd say its a hardware failure. You can use one of these PC Motherboard Repair/Troubleshoot Boot-Failure Diagnostic PCI Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme to check the mobo. Its not just for start up problems.

Tonga

TJ is right you really need a diagnostic check to see whats up. The good side is pretty much anything can be replaced/upgraded including the mobo! Good luck!

other things to keep in mind, sometimes motherboards don't detect your memory timings correctly. Verify the timings in bios. You can use Memtest 86+ to check the memory, timing problems should also manifest themselves as errors in a memory test.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You might could also try just setting bios back to factory default, or to "optimized settings"