Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Problem

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
About a week ago we had a very severe storm which knocked out the power while my PC was running. Ever since then I have been getting blue screen crashes every day, often multiple times per day. Not sure if this is because the OS has become corrupt or if something is actually damaged. Below is the error message I get when the PC reboots. Any ideas what could be wrong?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

I've been having a similar problem on one of mine. Turned out to be a HDD failure :(

Try running chkdsk and SMART diagnostics. (ask teh google)

v33

Usually, but not always, you can trace these kinds of problems to the big 4. Memory, Hard drive, video card, CPU.

I'd run the suggested memory diagnostics and then the hard drive test.

Failing that, backup everything, gather all of your install disks and reformat. But I am thinking it's a hardware issue.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Okay, I have run chkdsk and all seems fine there. I'll go on to memtest now.

Last edited:
What OS are you using? Looks like Win7(?) Also, can you boot in safe mode (pressing F8 key when or after the bios screen loads) ? Both those error messages seem to relate to TMP files which windows doesn't necessarily need to load when booting. There's a chance something else you were running is causing this with a temp file when your system crashed from the storm/power outage... Not positive though.

I'd suggest trying to boot in safe mode, then run chkdsk to see if you get any error notifications like the ones you're getting when booting normally. If it works like this, do a diskcleanup also (still in SM) so windows can remove the tmp file(s) causing the original error message :beer:

Last edited:
Can you post the .dmp and .xml files referenced in the error?
Those may have some further insight into the problem.
Also check your fans and temps, make sure the system isn't overheating.
Finally check for loose wires of any kind (power, drive, etc)

If the computer was plugged in while the power came back on, you might of corrupted the OS, or some hardware. Take the HD out, and throw in a blank HD, format it, and load the OS with drivers. If it runs flawlessly then its was a software issue. If you keep getting blue screens then you know its hardware.

mfo

Meh, you guys are going about this wrong.

Next time you get the blue screen, write down the error code that it gives you. It should look something like this.

0x0000FC1E

Note, there may be four or five of them. Once you acquire these codes, post them here.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Meh, you guys are going about this wrong.

Next time you get the blue screen, write down the error code that it gives you. It should look something like this.

0x0000FC1E

Note, there may be four or five of them. Once you acquire these codes, post them here.

The computer automatically resets itself from the blue screen after only a few seconds and doesn't give me enough time to write the codes down. Is there a way to stop it from doing that?

Yes, stop trying to power it. It cannot give you any further errors if its off.

I'm very clever.

Last edited:

mfo

The computer automatically resets itself from the blue screen after only a few seconds and doesn't give me enough time to write the codes down. Is there a way to stop it from doing that?

Yup.

Automatic Restart Windows 7 - How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

I'm guessing by the log you posted, you're running Win7, SP1?

Yes, stop trying to power it. It cannot give you any further errors if its off.

I'm very clever.

Lol!!

Last edited:

mfo

I was thinking about this thread for a while today. Something similar had happened to me. When I'd turn my PC on, it would get stuck at the POST screen and just hang there. Something told me to unplug the pc from the wall and turn off the power supply for like an hour. I did that and it worked fine. At this point in time though, it could literally be anything, Power Supply, RAM, MOBO, HDD Video, or all of the above.

Power supply is the most common hardware failure, but if it has time to dump the memory, it may be a memory issue or software issue.

symbols server link is in here, as well as updated links for OS newer than xp: Debugging Tools and Symbols: Getting Started

If storm, then I blame PSU, unless you had it behind a surge protector. Then I blame a system file corruption. Surges wouldn't make it out of the primary section of the PSU, I don't think.

This is a shot in the dark but when you get the blue screen, try quickly hitting the "pause" key. This has worked for me on several occasions.

good luck